West Coast Tour

Guest L~Cat

Guest Lisacat

I have to say this turned out to be one of my favorite DSO runs in quite some time. It was nice to return to the family after a 3-4 month break since I've been living out here. I was able to see both SF shows and then the 5 night So Cal/Vegas run. Unfortunately could not make it to Tahoe or Sacto. Took me a little while to warm up. San Francisco was a great weekend. I know there has been a lot of mixed emotions about the new band configuration as noted here in some threads on the board, however I have to say that overall the band really blew me away. Jeff has only been playing in DSO for a year minus one tour. Its inevitable that there will be some inconsistencies from show to show as the band is still working things out and gelling. DSO has always been spot on and consistent, but face it - they were playing with the same lead guitarist for over 10 years. It takes some time to adjust to the changes, both on their side and our side. What I saw this weekend though was every band member playing and singing his/her heart out.

I can't comment much on the Anaheim show as it was a tough show for me....was sick and didn't have the best attitude upon walking into the show. Most of the time when I find myself not enjoying a show as much, it has nothing to do with the band, but has everything to do with me. I do have to say that venue is one of the best dancing venues I've been to. Huge tiered floor.

The blissful fun really started in LA. What a treat being able to hang with dear friends in sunny southern California and get the attitude adjustment I needed. I don't think I've laughed so hard in a really long time as I did in the hotel room with a few usual suspects. The show was just absolutely outstanding. Lots of love on the stage coming through the notes. I was in the raised platform on the left but kept being drawn towards the front as the band started playing. Once FOTD started, the band lured me all the way up to the front where I found a great dancing space. Loved the FOTD....really like the way Jeff plays it- I remember being blissed out by one way back when at one of his first shows. Not everyone's favorite tune but I find my self completely lost in it- super spinnable song. The other highlight for me that night was the He's Gone. Great dancing with some sweet ladies in the front left. I believe I actually dropped to my knees at one point during that song- very powerful. And can't forget Kevin's contributions on the Other One. He has definitely put it in high gear.

Onto Vegas. Not easy drive on 3 hours of sleep but made it in time for the show after much confusion driving around the strip. Thought the show started out lower energy than the night before but indeed fun and had some big highlights- the Row being the biggest one as I noted in my post before. Also really dug the Big River. Usually not a song that would stand out to me but I remember thinking WOW during it. Let it Rock was a great filler- love the JGB tunes thrown in. The crowd was less than to be desired that night, but I guess I can't expect all crowds to be like Bay Area. I definitely was not on the same wavelength as most of the others there which made it somewhat challenging.

San Diego was even more difficult on another 3 hours sleep plus 8 hour drive. Thankfully made it into Solana with enough time to hang with a couple donkeys before the show. It was my first time at the Belly Up. While I really enjoyed the town and convenience, I'm not really a huge fan of the Belly Up. Not the best feng shui IMO, but still managed to get dancing space way on the side without view of the stage the first night. The second night was a bit easier as there were less people there. The first night's show was super high energy- the crowd was really engaged and rocking. All smiles on stage. Highlights for me were the Bertha>Good Lovin and the Samson. The Black Peter was very good too I thought. But I have to say the biggest highlight for me was the Hard to Handle. It was nice to hear something a little different. Good times post show too. Will never think of the old testament the same again. Actually got more than 3 hours of sleep the first night in Solana, so woke up well rested and enjoyed a beautiful day and good fun and great beer with friends at the Pizza Port prior to the show. The mellow acoustic show was the perfect way to end the run. Loved that they brought Lisa out for the whole thing. Many many highlights of the night. Enjoyed hearing the obscure tunes like Cocaine Blues and Hear a Voice Calling. Love Cold Jordan and Swing Low too. 2nd set was filled with goodies. Acoustic Queen Jane worked really well as did the Operator and Two Souls- I think I could hear that song every night. Gomorrah sounded great and the Midnight Moonlight was one of the best. I've always thought Jeff does nice job on that- he makes it really flow well. I made my comments about Lisa on the Strange Man in the other thread but holy moly did she wake up the crowd. Probably the 7th or 8th time I've heard her sing it live and I swear she does it better each time. Ripple couldn't have been a more perfect closer to a very special night.

It was so sweet dancing with friends I've known in this scene since just about my beginning. It really is amazing to me to be able to hop on a jet and get to a show and just know so many beautiful people there. There was so much love all around this past weekend and I cannot be more grateful to DSO band and crew and the family. The last year certainly has brought its challenges, but it is so great to see the band enjoying themselves. I've been so blessed by having DSO in my life and so much that I have and know right now is because of this band, so it was really nice to be able to give back in my way this weekend. I'm filled with gratitude and love and all seems right in the world. Keep on playing your hearts out and I'll keep dancing.

Hope everyone has a great holiday and peaceful break. See you in NJ.

• Forum MVP

I have to say that not being out on the west coast in a year it was well needed .This trip started about 6 weeks ago with a facebook p.m. to me and kris from an old friend from high school which we seen in the spring but before that it was 25 years or so.She said that ,that band you like so much will be in solana beach ,i know its along trip for you 2 but would you consider coming out ,i know its crazy and all.What the hell s so crazy bout hopping on a plane and flying across the county see see these guys and gal.Also our friend Diane started seeing an old friend of mine Paul who lives in denver and he flew out also .My first show with paul was jgb at the capital in 1975 and we hadn t seen each other also in 25 years or so .Well we flew in to lax and our driver queen steve picked us up at the airport .we chilled til we had to make another pick up at the airport for the miss lovely emmanation. Had dinner down the street from the elray , went inside the place ,first time there ,thought it was a good venue .It was great seeing the group of starheads that made the trip out there .Great show ,I thought the other one -wharf rat -franklins a&a was freakin really mind blowing. anothergood show

we awoke ,in the afternoon and drove down to carlsbad to were my friend diane owns a house .was able to stay 2 nites in such a beautiful part of southern cal, nice backyard with a pool ,hammocks .it was just really nice.next day we went to the beach in the afternoon during lowtide which was incredible,Were able to walk thru the water and discover baby shrimp ,sea slugs ,star fish ,sea scerts.really neat stuff and a beautiful sunset.Went to the show ,also another guy from high school which I haven t seen in like 30 years or so met us at the belly up ,the show was very similer to fridays ,same year so there were alot of repeats which it didn t even matter ,the end of the first set with the halfstep -franklins music was great ,second set intro into samson was longer then nomal ,akiller nfa -black peter -a&a to finish it off. my buddy paul flew out the next morning ,after seeing dso for the first time he s in for the denver show w/some friends thats never seen em also . Can t get over the friend ships that have been created becouse of this band ,all the people that I was with this weekend ,old buds ,emma and gaytard ,herd ,bix (the to lay me down from mondays up on utube)the good teacher and yes terry patterpin ,didn t get to really talk.the cat and rick e .and all the others ,you re all great!!! thank you for a real good time ,and most of all ,thank god I m married to a deadhead

Archived