Joan Osborne @ Terrapin Crossroads

neutrino

My first visit to this venue, and it was most memorable.

Arrived while the Terrapin Family band was playing, and it sounded really good. The band is very good, and I was immediately struck by how excellent the sound was in the "Grate Room". Very possibly the best I've ever heard at ANY venue.

After a short break, Mark Karan came out and did a rare solo performance. He put on a wonderful performance. Not only was he playing and singing outstanding, he was also entertaining and sometimes very moving with his talk between numbers.

Then it was Joan Osborne, accompanied only by Karan on guitar and keyboards from Keith Cotton. I actually was not very familiar with Joan--knowing her primarily by her early hit "One of Us", and seeing her a few times with P&F. I did not realize what an immense talent she is! She and the guys played a set that was truly one of the most amazing performances I have ever witnessed. I won't go into a bunch of detail, but she play a very versatile combination of songs including old blues numbers, Van Morrison, Dylan, her own compositions, and of course The Dead. Her voice was incredible, and Karan and Cotton were outstanding. I will only say if you have a chance to see her--don't give it a pass!!

One other thing that really struck me that was such a welcome change from DSO and Furthur shows was the lack of obnoxious talkers. The whole audience was paying rapt attention to the performance,, and during the quiet momemts, you could practically hear a pin drop. Combined with the superb sound systems, it was truly a pleasure being there. I considered going to Furthur that night at the SF Civic, and I'll have to say, I feel I definitely made the right choice. I'll definitely be back to Terrapin Crossroads, and hope to see Joan Osborne again anywhere she plays in the area!

Archived