Solo Jerry ... Passaic, New Jersey April 10, 1982

Captain Zap

I was just poking around youtube tonight and came across a Jerry solo show I went to for my 25th birthday. It was a surprise gift and a venue you could only love if you were from New Jersey. The Capital Theater in Passaic, New Jersey. I remember being so awestruck at how beautiful Jerry sang that night. I cried then, and I cried tonight. This man is part of my soul and each performance, with or without the boys was special. This one ... was solo Jerry and he really touched the crowd and rocked my heart.

For those of us lucky enough to have heard Jerry play by himself, this is honestly one of his best performances. I was so happy to stumble on this and bring back those memories. Don't get me wrong ... the shows with JGB .... Seals, Kahn, and Saunders ... WOW.

But ... this acoustic performance is a must listen. I won't loose track of this show again.

Random thoughts can be powerful

Set 1

1. Jack-A-Roe
  2. Going, Going, Gone
  3. Dire Wolf
  4. Gomorrah
  5. Run For The Roses
  6. Friend Of The Devil
  7. Oh Babe, It Ain't No Lie
  8. Rosalie McFall
  9. Sing Me Back Home
  10. Deep Elem Blues

Set 2

1. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
  2. Ballad Of Casey Jones >
  3. China Doll
  4. Ripple

Encore

1. Reuben And Cherise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMHXMRd1KTI

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Apparently Jerry was so freaked out to be up there solo that he put out an emergency call to get Kahn out for the Beacon Theatre show the next week.  And he would never play solo again.  So yeah, a pretty special night indeed!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, John A said:

Apparently Jerry was so freaked out to be up there solo that he put out an emergency call to get Kahn out for the Beacon Theatre show the next week.  And he would never play solo again.  So yeah, a pretty special night indeed!

I had no idea. Not sure how I missed that factoid because I often think I know everything about my time on the bus.  I got inside as he was about doing "To Lay Me Down" during the early show. Followed by "Run For The Roses", the evening was a fog of delight.

I knew people who worked for the Capital Theater and I got in through the out door for that last tidbit of the early show. Freaked out or not, Jerry got his stride! The crowd was with him all the way.

It was an incredible evening. I was extremely toasty and feeling particularly good. Just hearing Jerry so raw ... so Jerry.

My first JGB show was in Berkley back in February 1979 ... several shows in Palo Alto come to mind as well. All were awesome experiences ... but none were solo shows. What an incredibly insightful birthday gift it was. Something I'll treasure forever as it truly was a gem like no other.

Thanks for the insight ... you made my day!

Here's a link to that early show for anybody who might want to take a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbGCXeZoSt8

• Like (+1) 1

I saw that show. I thought the benefit for the Hell’s Angels NY boss’ son he did at The Palladium on June 25…1982 or 1983 (I know the date because it was my birthday) at midnight was solo too. We were going to see Marshall Tucker that night and were surprised to see Jerry playing at midnight. I might be wrong, but I don’t remember anyone on the stage with him that night.😀

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, sgrmag2564 said:

I thought the benefit for the Hell’s Angels NY boss’ son he did at The Palladium on June 25…1982 or 1983 (I know the date because it was my birthday) at midnight was solo too. We were going to see Marshall Tucker that night and were surprised to see Jerry playing at midnight. I might be wrong, but I don’t remember anyone on the stage with him that night.😀

6-25-82 was indeed a Palladium benefit show but not solo.  Garcia & Kahn played one set. Maybe Kahn was set back in the shadows. :lol:

5 hours ago, sgrmag2564 said:

I saw that show. I thought the benefit for the Hell’s Angels NY boss’ son he did at The Palladium on June 25…1982 or 1983 (I know the date because it was my birthday) at midnight was solo too. We were going to see Marshall Tucker that night and were surprised to see Jerry playing at midnight. I might be wrong, but I don’t remember anyone on the stage with him that night.😀

Apparently these two shows were his only solo shows. My birthday was a week earlier and the tickets were a gift. Nobody on stage but Jerry and the guitar.