Austin

james

• Forum MVP

stubb's outdoor venue with a good amount of space, recycle bins, water jugs, and great energy. chuch torin and i had a magical spot on the back left near a tree that at times would shake it's trunk to the groovin sounds of musica psychedelica. the energy vortex increased with our dancing angels kelly, anna, laura and friends; then topped off with the surprise visit from Cristoph. the town of austin was bustling all night long with thousands of people in the street walking the famous party and freak friendly 6th street. there are also the biggest street festival happening this weekend which brought people out to the streets for the 100's of artist's booths setup throughout downtown. so the mood was alread set for a good time and it showed. everyone seemed to be gettin down in spirits. the show was amazing - attics being the cream of the crop for me. it was the last night of a wonderful 3 night magical mystery tour with torin, jordan and the ambassador extroidenair. i will be sad to see them go. it's a long drive to flagstaff - 12 hours - plenty of time to relish in the good memories created and past.

• Forum MVP

^yes, what james said...

this was powerful, screaming with energy and a great atmosphere...the playin attics playin was just beautifully performed, very hard to describe those transition jams...Let it grow peaked with a huge jam, Foolish was incredible, post-drumz was epic, the SOTM whoaaa just passionate and wondrous... monstrous SugarMags jam... what an amazing weekend..james, chuck, and jordan, i love you guys

p.s. SanFran's chances are looking good right now.....

• Forum MVP

Never had such a good time...

What James and Torin said! Dancing with friends, dancing for absent friends...the energy level was off the hook.

Safe travels, James, settle down easy everyone - and Torin, that's some good news about SF!

I think the setlist was this:

Set One: Stranger, Dire Wolf, Greatest Story, Catfish John, Mr. Charlie, Big Iron, Cumberland Blues, Playing>Attics>Playing

Set Two: Touch, Let It grow, Foolish Heart, Estimated, Drumz>St. Stephen, Miracle, SOTM, Sugar Mag

Filler: Hey Pocky Way, Sisters and Brothers

• Forum MVP

Aaaaah Austin… my home away from home… I lived there for 2 summers in high school, but I hadn’t been back since the last time DSO was there in 06. It was good to be back. Dinner at Stubbs BBQ was soooooo good. I have now successfully eaten at two of travel channels top 10 BBQ joints in America (fun little fact- the other one ive been to is Arthur Bryants in Kansas City.. so one would have been able to eat at both if they did the whole tour- “grass muncher” james at least saw both). We saw the entire band, sans Kevin, in the restaurant about an hour before showtime…I was so goddamn full after dinner I could barely move, I was amazed at the band’s energy level onstage after they gorged at Stubbs.. I guess they have a high BBQ tolerance :)

Stubbs was a really cool venue; I mean recycling and free water?! Every venue should take notes from Stubbs. Gotta love seeing an outdoor show.. now that I think about it, it was my first non-nlqp outdoor dso show. the weather was PERFECT. A little warm, but as the show revolves the nighttime falls, bringing in cool winds from the sky. Gawd, I love original setlists.. so needless to say I was in heaven.. the whole show killed.. each number hotter than the previous one. was really pleased to get stranger, GSET, SOTM, hey pocky, and Sisters & Brothers.. some ones I was craving.. I was ecstatic about the big iron>Cumberland as these are my two fave cowboy tunes.. I was hopeful for a Stranger>Shakedown opener, but no dice… all good things, right? the catfish john was really good.. im not a huge fan of this one, so it says a lot if I even mention it.. JK just soared on the final guitar solo -this bubbly sugaree-esque sound.. OH MY GOD.. the attics was really good(another song im not a big fan of- so this says a lot), the vocals with the instrumental interplay made me utterly euphoric; serotonin rushing down my brain... and the transition outta attics was really smooth.. followed by a really trippy 80s-esque playin reprise..

Second set was very strong.. Let it Grow had a non-grateful dead jam in there.. Eaton, et al, can you confirm? It was either an original jam, or a cover/tease.. for some reason I knew Suar mag was coming outta the SOTM.. and boy was I happy.. after the last Nov Nokia shows I just love this song- I think dso really rocks it out, dare I say better than most GD performances of the song..

The whole band was on fire all night long.. Kevin was dancing like a goofball and throwing out k-bombs left and right...its really a shame gary wasn’t there to capture his dancing on film. the drummers really shined in Austin.. they made every song so damn powerful.. and Healy did a fan-fucking-tastic job.. I mean WOAH.. the sound was soooo powerful.. it moved you physically and spiritually.. it was so great to look back at Healy during a song; he would have a ear-to-ear smile on his face, dancing back and forth, singing the words at the top of his lungs.. Healy was dancing with us from behind the SBD!!

Big thanks to james and chuck for the travel and lodging arrangements.. and tor- always a pleasure..

Once again, another amazing run is over. Thank you dso for ruining my life in the best way possible!!!

Archived