West Coast Run

chinacats111

well well well....sitting here on my couch a bit jet lagged and still feeling the exhaustion of dancing three nights at the fillmore. thank you dso for taking me places I probably would have absolutely no reason to go to and for the joy and bliss of the music and dancing.....having missed part of the LA show, I was ear to ear smiles for tahoe- which by the way was one of the best. The fillmore shows brought out the dance and smile in me more than I could have imagined :) the best crowd on this planet....I can't thank the gals up front enough for sharing their space with me. My next shows at the 930 club will be quite the culture shock. I took so much joy in seeing the smiles on the boys faces too- Jordan, Torin, and Mason....so happy to see you guys having the times of your life. And of course the rest of my dear friends, I hope we meet at 1345 again :)

xoxoxo

Lisa

• Forum MVP

for the first time im literally speechless... i have no clue where to start... its taking me days to even think about what to say.. this weekend was sooo magical... i'll try to muster a few thoughts

*san fran- it was my first time in cali/west coast. sf is definitely a badass city.. damn, we walked a shitton.. like 5+ miles some days. our apartment was soooo cool. it truly made for an enjoyable experience. i was really glad that mason ended up staying with us- twas good to be with my old tour buddy/best friend for the weekend. and a big thanks to the apt crew for letting him and austin stay there- that was really kind and generous of yall. geographically speaking-sf is just a beautiful city... but i wasnt impressed by the homeless problem, blatant crack smoking in the street, and rampant car burglaries (Mason's car was broken into- they busted out a window and took hundreds of dollars worth of gear... and there was broken car window glass everywhere). sure you can smoke weed in the street or the park, but im not sure that its worth it.. i literally only saw ONE cop on foot in the street (and he was korean, hanging in the korean district, shooting the breeze with the locals- not sure if that fell under 'protecting' or 'serving.') golden gate park (and hippie hill) was really cool- but again, the mentally ill homeless people constantly harassing you became tiresome). seeing haight/ashbury and 710 was a goddamn right of passage- pretty overwhelming for me actually. it was weird to be in a place where our counter-culture (ie: Deadhead culture, and the mutually exclusive yet related hippie culture) was the dominant/mainstream culture... i didnt see any hippies, deadheads, tie-dyes, etc in the haight (minus some hippies on hippie hill in GGpark, which is near the haight).. but it was packed with tourists... so apparently haightashbury is a tourist spot for "normal people" looking to get the hippie experience... it was weird seeing all of these LA types in tie-dye shops plastered in GD/garcia shit from carpet to ceiling.. oh, and the food was amazing... utterly amazing.

*hardly strictly bluegrass fest- seeing robert plant in the park was really cool. havnt been in a crowd that big in years. it was interesting to see all of the families in the crowd with blankets, coolers, and folding chairs; just enjoying some music in the park- no big deal. happens all the time.. (NO BIG DEAL?!! have you guys seen the line-up??!!) here in the SW, this type of event would have a bunch of random bands comprised of 50+ year old okies that play music for fun, not professionally. and it would have a couple thousand people, not over 50,000 people.. ca residents are fuckin spoiled is what im getting at i guess.

*the fillmore is a freakin amazing venue... never have i seen so many hippie dancers at a show (you would have thought you were at gateful dead show or something!! ;) ).. they have free water and cold apples for everyone.. awesome! sound was still really good in the back- talk about not a bad seat in the house. and as far as all of the dancing space complaints go- jeez you guys are spoiled!!! think that was bad? go see the nokia shows in november, and you'll see what no dancing space really means. i mean SPOILED. people would get pissed when i stepped like 3 feet in front of them (not just during show time- BEFORE THE SHOW, ALSO!.. i dont really move during a set, except to move away from talkers, find more dancing room, or find better sound).. i mean they have this standard that everyone deserves a 4 foot radius of free space.. crazy.. but i definitely dug it, just struggled to conform to it, as people were pretty unreasonable about it.. (funny- the only people that bitched werent even dancers- why the hell do head-bobbers need a 4 ft radius??)... and all of the famous pictures throughout the venue were really cool- especially the giant jerry in the stairwell...

*the shows.. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck dude.. oh my god. DSO fuckin throws that shit down at the fillmore! good gaaawd.. i thought nlqp brought out the energy in them- i stand corrected! they just fucking fly from the get go in that town/venue.. the bar has officially been raised. its gotten to the point where i am overwhelmed by the outstanding renditions of each individual song each night- i mean every single number is noteworthy. i could rave about each individual song... so the SUPER-highlights go as follows- 1st night: lazy lightnin>supplication was out-fucking-standing... EVERYONE was raving about it all weekend (i mean there were literally strangers approaching me in the sf streets, noticing my GD shirt and saying, "dude! how about that lazy lightnin last night!!!?? oh my god!")- seriously: the best supplication EVER. it peaked sooo hard. for once, supplication was significantly better than the lazy lightnin preceding it (not to downplay the lazylightnin, which fuckin smoked). eyes was really good. you know how the eyes from 06-09-76 has that ~8 minute intro before jer even sings? it was just like that!!! it was sooo sick!! and the Comes A Time> Franklin's> Sugar Magnolia was just pure bliss. CaT is like my favorite dead tune and then into a ripping franklins??!! holy shitballs is right! and then a really strong sugar mag/ssdd!!! filler: really enjoyed the liberty, and especially the masterpiece- i really dug the 'first set' choice for the last song- an extremely a-typical choice for the filler. 2nd night: the best stagger lee ever!!! i did not know that song could rock that hard... james, buddy, so sorry you missed an epic one.. jstraw was REALLY good. truckin was fuckin siiick.. with barraco NAILING the organ turnaround.. performances like that really validate these songs. dew was extremely good (i swear they somehow play that song better each time i see them). and i felt blessed to get Black muddy river- what a great song.. third night: aaaaaaah original setlists- thats the stuff dreams are made of!!! mason freakin called the help>slip>stranger before they even got on stage... man im a lucky sun-of-a-gun to have seen both performances of this combo (from new york to san francisco, so many roads i know!!).. and the stranger out of H>S was AMAZING... another one of those tunes that dso has really got it nailed down.. sailor>saint was really good (and i was just wondering that weekend if eaton still played that combo in originals- you think and you shall receive!!) followed by a really good transition into box.. one of the best alligators ive ever seen (fact nugget: they didnt do the "Alligator runnin round my door" parts) and the spanish jam>LIG reprise was sooooooo good. first of all i love spanish jam- but the transition into LIG reprise was just fuckin incredible.. too bad fillmore doesnt allow taping... (it went like this: space>spanish jam>RAGING drums that precede the final "What shall we say, shall we call it by a name">last chorus/jam out). i didnt even notice they hadnt finished LIG, so the transition really caught me by surprise. and then a days between. are you fucking kidding me???!! days and BMR in the same run!!! i was so ecstatic about the days- havnt seen one since 06..

i have sooooo many people to thank for this trip..

lisa and chuck- you all are THE BEST!! i love you guys, im so glad that weve become such good friends, but most importantly- thanks for everything!!!!!

steve and kris- as i said in my pm, thank you so much for all of your help.. stenson beach fuckin rocked.

emma - youre the best! so great to see you again!!

nantucket -i hadnt seen you in a while. i was soooo glad that i got to hang with ya! it had been too long! i think you are extremely fun and hilarious... cant wait to do it again!!!!!

gary and connie- thanks so much for the late bday present!! i love hanging with you guys! im really glad that yall met up with us each day. im starting to agree with you gary- hanging out with the starheads is the best part!!!

dso- the band with the plan.. you all rock and you know it! thanks for keep on keepin on!!!

• Forum MVP

Jordan nailed it as usual !! Love ya man .. try to get to the Nokias or NYE ! Florida in January sounds like a reasonable goal too!!

from the base of our street, going to the airport with steve .. 1345 is up on the left ::

1005081147ou7.jpg

w480.png

Guest Charles from Oregon

nice thread once again Jordan, How about a Cats Down Under the Stars filler, I'm going to try and make New Years next year if it's possible,I'll do my best to give you my insight of Ptown's show. Thanks for your energy!

• Forum MVP

Seeing Torin, Jordan, Mason in the house for the hometown shows was pretty cool. Add a Vegas here and a Nantucket there, one of the Steves (Northwest NJ?) and Dancin on a Pin down there and Gary and Connie up there and it's gotta make you smile.

Everyone should make the pilgrimage to this place---every single person on here. Let's try 2012. I remember reading an interview with Garcia by some astrologers and they were talking about 2012 and all the cool things that were supposed to happen that year. Garcia said something like he really hopes he'll be around to see that year but what are you going to do?

And I adore the Fillmore. Then energy is quite something in that place. And the people are a lot nicer than those poor slobs that have thrown me out of the Warfield o so many years.

• Forum MVP

Something cool all right.... according to the Mayan calender the world is going to end in 2012....that is when they stopped ....and the Mayan Civilization vanished around 850... way before the Spanish arrived...

The Mayan are like E.F. Hutton..... when the Mayan speak... I listen

Seeing Torin, Jordan, Mason in the house for the hometown shows was pretty cool. Add a Vegas here and a Nantucket there, one of the Steves (Northwest NJ?) and Dancin on a Pin down there and Gary and Connie up there and it's gotta make you smile.

Everyone should make the pilgrimage to this place---every single person on here. Let's try 2012. I remember reading an interview with Garcia by some astrologers and they were talking about 2012 and all the cool things that were supposed to happen that year. Garcia said something like he really hopes he'll be around to see that year but what are you going to do?

And I adore the Fillmore. Then energy is quite something in that place. And the people are a lot nicer than those poor slobs that have thrown me out of the Warfield o so many years.

*the fillmore is a freakin amazing venue... never have i seen so many hippie dancers at a show (you would have thought you were at gateful dead show or something!! ;) ).. they have free water and cold apples for everyone.. awesome! sound was still really good in the back- talk about not a bad seat in the house. and as far as all of the dancing space complaints go- jeez you guys are spoiled!!! think that was bad? go see the nokia shows in november, and you'll see what no dancing space really means. i mean SPOILED.

Great review Jordan....spoiled? yes....I guess you can blame Uncle Bobo for having the crazed idea of speakers in the hallways.......ty

• Forum MVP
Something cool all right.... according to the Mayan calender the world is going to end in 2012....that is when they stopped ....and the Mayan Civilization vanished around 850... way before the Spanish arrived...

The Mayan are like E.F. Hutton..... when the Mayan speak... I listen

If I'm not mistaken, 12-21-12 is when its all supposed to come crashing down(sounds like we're really going to have to bring it on your birthday on 12-20 Blindman). So, if its really all coming to an end, I believe DSO needs to pre-book the Fillmore for that evening and we can, literally, blow the roof off the place!!!! I LOVE the Fillmore!!!!!!

Wow thrown out of the Warfield? That seems hard to do....Just for the kids that have yet to be there, I LOVE the warfield. It is Jerrys house. Ive never had finer times with Jerry than in that building. The staff is the best. Many of them got jobs there because they are heads and want to be a part of the music that happens there. The others volunteer for free tickets.Most of the staff has been on board since and because Jerry played there. After the 5/18 phil show it was clear that they were on our team. Tears were falling as there jobs were uncertain. On the other hand the fillmore has got heavy handed staff that seems ready to fight the hippies. You got the shoe dick, you got no dancing in the bar dick, and you got no space which makes for all sorts of dicks. I do adore the fillmore too as a historical building that is cooler than most but I feel it is too small for the quickly growing popularity of DSO. When there are masses of shut out heads outside and many others that wont make the journey in fear of getting shut out, it would seem that it is in the best interest of the band and the fans to allow for a bigger space.....peace and tickets for all....ty

• Forum MVP
Wow thrown out of the Warfield? That seems hard to do....Just for the kids that have yet to be there, I LOVE the warfield. It is Jerrys house. Ive never had finer times with Jerry than in that building. The staff is the best. Many of them got jobs there because they are heads and want to be a part of the music that happens there. The others volunteer for free tickets.Most of the staff has been on board since and because Jerry played there. After the 5/18 phil show it was clear that they were on our team. Tears were falling as there jobs were uncertain. On the other hand the fillmore has got heavy handed staff that seems ready to fight the hippies. You got the shoe dick, you got no dancing in the bar dick, and you got no space which makes for all sorts of dicks. I do adore the fillmore too as a historical building that is cooler than most but I feel it is too small for the quickly growing popularity of DSO. When there are masses of shut out heads outside and many others that wont make the journey in fear of getting shut out, it would seem that it is in the best interest of the band and the fans to allow for a bigger space.....peace and tickets for all....ty

I guess I was exaggerating. I've never been thrown out of the Warfield (or anywhere else) and I had some of the best times of my life standing a couple feet from Garcia during many a JGB show there. In the years since, however, I have found many people at the Warfield to be the same sort of heavy handed staff that you seem to run into at the Fillmore. I've never had a problem with the Fillmore staff--not once. Althoug there have been several shows at the Warfield where I've run into complete dick heads, especially working the door. I like both venues as I generally don't go to large arenas anymore but in my experience, the staff at the Fillmore has always been first rate and in my mind they are MUCH more amenable to hippies than the Warfield and have been for a while.

Guest DEAD HEAD
I guess I was exaggerating. I've never been thrown out of the Warfield (or anywhere else) and I had some of the best times of my life standing a couple feet from Garcia during many a JGB show there. In the years since, however, I have found many people at the Warfield to be the same sort of heavy handed staff that you seem to run into at the Fillmore. I've never had a problem with the Fillmore staff--not once. Althoug there have been several shows at the Warfield where I've run into complete dick heads, especially working the door. I like both venues as I generally don't go to large arenas anymore but in my experience, the staff at the Fillmore has always been first rate and in my mind they are MUCH more amenable to hippies than the Warfield and have been for a while.
I dont know that many that can say they saw Jerry at the Warfield except for myself ,my two closest friends Richy and Ronny and now yourself Dstone5553... I remember one show that Clarence Clemons from the E Street Band came out and played his sax to a couple of tunes and being from NJ I thought it was cool but we were there to see and hear Jerry and nothing but Jerry . Man Jerry at the Warfield ,good memories Brother...

Guest DEAD HEAD
And then there was the time we all thought we were gonna be enamoured by Jerry. Sittin' in the Warfield waiting for Jer to step on stage when we're told Jer was stung by a jellyfish and couldn't play. Talk about anti-climatic! No bread in the breadbox!!! :rolleyes:

That happened more than once and not only at the Warfield ...He canceled a show at the Wiltern and we just did some vitamin A (I was very young at the time and I dont take those tye of things anymore) and then found out no Jerry...We were at a Jerry / John Kahn acoustic show at the Beverly Wilshire if I'm remembering correctly , Jerry is singing Friend of the Devil and is singing - The first one says shes got my child, but it dont look like me, and some asshole from the back yells out loud as can be ,THANK GOD , and it was goodbye Jerry , show over after 3 tunes ...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest captain420

Jordan, my tour buddy and best friend, great review...as always, tough act to follow..

Near the end of my trip in SF it was a great treat to see fellow heads and of course my best bud....So many roads we have traveled my friend, So many roads...

1345 Crew was amazing, what great vibes to hang with, wow. Lisa, great to see your smile again, thanks for finding that place, I could see myself there again. You even got a cat with the place!! Nice to see some 'familiar faces' and faces to names..Chuck and Lisa thanks for letting Austin and I stay, made for 'good times.' Nantucket, you cracked me up, everyone was having a high time for sure! Torin nice to see you again, bud and will see you in Florida, I missed your folks as well, till then. James have a good time in the middle east and hope to see you soon in CO, since I am moving to the Denver area in Dec/Jan and possibly in FL at the shows...Emma, it was a pleasure to have finally met you, I have heard so many grate things about you from everyone and I must say, you did not disappoint. Gary and Connie, you guys rock! Thanks for the hospitality around the city and seeing Robert Plant and Alison Krauss in GG park, and walking the city with us and the bus memories. Prescott was in the house! Brett, nice to see you at the show and about,thank you.. Alisha, I missed seeing you but I knew you were there enjoying it. Dstone, nice to have finally met you as well, nice shirt! The fillmore is a nice play to see the band in a head friendly space..stonedfeather and ty nice to meet up with you all as well, and ellen, always a pleasure to share a show with this energy! A real special shout out thanks to the beautiful girl that miracled me for the last SF show, Ms. Sweeny!!! much love...

On another note my friends car did get his window bashed out and some things stolen, mostly importance to me was my books I recently bought, Hunter's BOX of Rain, Micky's drumming at the edge of magic...and a spiritual book, plus some other things like a tent and bike and goodies and a gd dye...plus having to do the rest of the trip without a window...but 'everything you gather...' To worsen the blow, on our way out of the city, during broad daylight we witnessed the same thing that happened to us happening to someone else near a park!!!

The 6 months I was away from Okla"home"a I got to live, learn and grow in a different way. I hope to make it back to Montana for next summer to work and have fun..But I will not go in mid-May when the snow is still falling when I am trying to tent camp the whole time, COLD. The last snow fall was in June and it was one of the worst winters in 15 years on top of that. West Yellowstone gets pretty chilly! But the short summer they have it is some of the best weather, dry sun filled days. Camping, hiking, seeing wildlife close, and floating the Madison river. I saw 3 free jgb and melvin seals shows in Idaho and Big Sky, MT..no "Maker" but still rippin' good time..Vancouver was a trip, but boarders don't fuck around. It was great to travel around the West after 4 months in Montana working, I found some places I really like, Big cities are not for me, I like small town atmosphere..Nor cal has the mom and pop thing which is nice and good farmers markets...dso should play 'boldt more imho and the locals agree, Miracle Show does throw down though...

The SF shows: Mighty Swell! Nice way to start, long train running from coast to coast....Row Jimmy had me teary eyed, "get back home where you belong, and don't you run off No more!" Don't hang your head, let the two times roll...don't feel sooo bad..

Bertha, always down..gimmie that 80s style with umph! Lazy Supplication was rocking! Eyes>music and Comes A Time>Franklin's!

Dew and BMR were sweet!!!!!!

Next night I recall the BIODTL being fun and fast...here we go...Far From Me, Rob B. nicely done you are tuning into Brent well..:-) Keep on growing.

I love a jack straw, nice,,,I called the playin' >terrapin standing near the board...the sound seems to always be best near the front, John K. could have been turned up.

Miracled night, last sf show. Holding my lonely finger in the air hoping and wishing..with the hugs and good kind vibes from the starheads heading into the show was what got me that ticket that night...time slides by, I offer trades to no avail, when it starts to look grim a kind hearted sister walks up to me with a printed piece of paper with a ticketBASTARD symbol and tells me it is a ticket for tonight and some other things which I couldn't grasp from the shock, I snapped out and opened my arms for a hug and told her thank you so much my friends are waiting for me inside and I skip into the show with high expectations... Help>Slip>Stranger...yes, I called it! sick! from NY to SF-so many roads I know, true! Here Comes Sunshine :-)

WRS>LIG>DRUMS>SPACE>SPANISH>LIG> DAYS BETWEEN>T'stones>NFA.....wow! Days Between, another tear jerker--read all the lyrics...much meaning..thanks for this one band... Many more stories from the road, just a fraction...catch with me and ask me and I can tell you some funny things..

Good times to anyone I am forgetting, please excuse me...what a long strange trip it's been!

• Forum MVP

Thank you for the write up Mason! Definitely a much-needed catch up. So awesome to hang with you in SF and sooo great to hear you're considering the Fla shows. you let me know when you're flying in and all transportation will be covered! once again, thanks for that update and review!

Archived