Merry Christmas Yankee Fans!

New York Steve

Guest jazz-man

Hiya Steve, and a Merry Christmas to you. I was thinking that I would start a folder about the Yankees outspending EVERYONE and how can small market teams survive but you kinda beat me to it. Remember when the KC Royals won a World Series? That'll never happen again because those teams can't hold their talent. If the Royals had cash they'd have Jermaine Dye, Johnny Damon and Carlos Beltran in their outfield, not too bad. I agree with the owner of the Brewers that there should be a salary cap otherwise many teams are doomed to perenial also-rans with no chance of ever competing.

• Forum MVP
Hiya Steve, and a Merry Christmas to you. I was thinking that I would start a folder about the Yankees outspending EVERYONE and how can small market teams survive but you kinda beat me to it. Remember when the KC Royals won a World Series? That'll never happen again because those teams can't hold their talent. If the Royals had cash they'd have Jermaine Dye, Johnny Damon and Carlos Beltran in their outfield, not too bad. I agree with the owner of the Brewers that there should be a salary cap otherwise many teams are doomed to perenial also-rans with no chance of ever competing.

As a Pirate fan, I can certainly relate to the plite of the small market team. The Pirates for example, received some of the 26 million dollars the yankees paid in luxury taxes this year. What did their ownership group do with it? Put it in their pocket, just like the ownership of the Royals did. Most of these small market teams are making profits but refuse to reinvest the money back into the team. The Yankees are sports icon who will make money whether their first place or last place; at this point, their revenue has little to do with what place they finish the year at. The Steinbrenner's choose to reinvest in their team because they hate to lose. There are teams like the red sox, mets, dodgers that complain about the yankees spending but have just as much revenue coming in, they choose to not reinvest it in payroll.

With all that said, I would be in favor of salary cap but it will never happen because the MLB players association would never vote for it. I would set it up like the NHL's, which has min. that a team has to spend and max. (hard cap)

Until then. Go Yanks!

Guest jazz-man

Well they certainly have thrown some money at players who didn't work out (Carl Pavano). On top of this huge contract he was nailing Alyssa Milano! Life ain't fair. Big budget certianly is no guarantee of winning but it sure is the major factor.

• Forum MVP
If I was a Yankees fan, I would be a tiny bit embarrassed by what's going on. And if they don't win, it will be kind of ridiculous--they will become one of the biggest jokes in sports.

But I know we are all rooting for them.

With 26 rings already taken, embarrassed is the LAST thing the Yankees will ever be. :cheers: to #27!!!!!!!

Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps Just sign Manny and get it over with already. Or is Hank just waiting for New Years to drop that bomb?

• Forum MVP
ps Just sign Manny and get it over with already. Or is Hank just waiting for New Years to drop that bomb?

I think, but I can't say I'm completely sure, that I would rather have the worst team in the country than have a team with an owner who seems to be as big a moron as Hank Steinbrenner. Is he under the impression that he has to say something really dumb every time he speaks into a mic? He makes his dad look restrained. Talk about embarrassing.

Or maybe I'm just bitter at not landing Peavy--among other things.

The funniest thing about this team to me is how many of their fans aren't from anywhere near NYC (you know what I'm talking about FunkyBass). I have a coworker who claims he's a huge fan and follows them daily, but he's from Portland. He has his reasons (watching Pride of the Yankees when he was a kid) as do all of those non NY Yankee fans who just happen to like that team--I guess it's a happy coincidence. Like all those Bulls fans in the 90s who lived nowhere near Chi only to become Lakers fans soon thereafter.

Or again, maybe I'm just a little bitter.

• Forum MVP
I think, but I can't say I'm completely sure, that I would rather have the worst team in the country than have a team with an owner who seems to be as big a moron as Hank Steinbrenner. Is he under the impression that he has to say something really dumb every time he speaks into a mic? He makes his dad look restrained. Talk about embarrassing.

Or maybe I'm just bitter at not landing Peavy--among other things.

The funniest thing about this team to me is how many of their fans aren't from anywhere near NYC (you know what I'm talking about FunkyBass). I have a coworker who claims he's a huge fan and follows them daily, but he's from Portland. He has his reasons (watching Pride of the Yankees when he was a kid) as do all of those non NY Yankee fans who just happen to like that team--I guess it's a happy coincidence. Like all those Bulls fans in the 90s who lived nowhere near Chi only to become Lakers fans soon thereafter.

Or again, maybe I'm just a little bitter.

Come on Stone. Without Hank and George, baseball wouldn't be nearly as fun to talk about in December. Find me a team that drops $88M from their payroll and picks up the Top#(!!!) free agents out there for "only" $76M. Who WOULDN'T make those moves? Oh, that's right, the rest of the owners who line their pockets with Big George's cash each year and does nothing to help their own team.

The problem is NOT that the Yankees spend too much money. The problem is that MLB lets you spend whatever you want and none of the other owners(well maybe a few others) are willing to spend like the Steinbrenners.

Don't hate the players, hate the game (been a long time since I've been able to use that one). Also, get rid of the argument about where people are from. name me one time, just ONE that I have ever wavered from my sports allegences. Didn't think so.

steinbrenner0226.gif

• Forum MVP
Don't hate the players, hate the game

Nice.

Also, get rid of the argument about where people are from. name me one time, just ONE that I have ever wavered from my sports allegences. Didn't think so.

I just think it's funny that you and the rest pick the Yankess, instead of...say...the Milwaukee Brewers or the NY Mets. I'm not picking on you Rel, because it's not like you watch a lot of Yankee games and really, who else are you going to claim as your team-- the SF Giants?

• Forum MVP
Nice.

I just think it's funny that you and the rest pick the Yankess, instead of...say...the Milwaukee Brewers or the NY Mets. I'm not picking on you Rel, because it's not like you watch a lot of Yankee games and really, who else are you going to claim as your team-- the SF Giants?

I hear ya Stone. I just find it funny that no one cared or flipped me any crap for liking the Yankees in say 1985 or '86 or '89 or '91 or '93 or '94 or '95 but once they went on their big run in '96, then all of a sudden I "should be a Giants fan" or really anything but the Yankees. I realize that people hate the Yankees and I'm fine with that. I just wonder if attitudes would be the same if say the Pirates spent money and put out a quality product like the Yankees do. I'm fully aware that I would not get nearly as much grief if I pulled for the Brewers or Royals.

Part of me, the part that loves that the owners of my favorite team are willing to spend whatever they want, wonders what will happen if MLB institutes a Salary Cap. So let's just say they put the cap at $85M. There will still be many, many teams that spend way less due to greedy owners. Then there will be those who spend the limit every year (Yankees, Red Sux, Dodgers, Mets, etc.). So when the financial aspect if locked in, are you haters(and you don't spew nearly as much hate as some, Stone) still mad because the Yankees find a way to get the top players every year? I have always had the utmost respect for anyone who sticks with their team through the ups and downs as opposed to the bandwagoners who go for whichever team is playing well in a given year.

Guest jazz-man

The Miami Hurricanes? Without them where would the NFL get it's felons and wife beaters and 'witnesses to murders but won't cooperate with the police' from? BYU?

• 10 months later...
  • Forum MVP
If I was a Yankees fan, I would be a tiny bit embarrassed by what's going on. And if they don't win, it will be kind of ridiculous--they will become one of the biggest jokes in sports.

But I know we are all rooting for them.

Thank goodness they did not become one of the biggest jokes in sports!

Archived