Jump to content

DesertDead

Forum MVP
  • Posts

    1,085
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    45

Everything posted by DesertDead

  1. Ok, back to Alpine for 7/19/89. As I mentioned above, it started to rain during the end of the previous show, and never stopped. The blue ink in my guat shirt bled just enough to make my hands and arms appear tie-dyed. For a long while I thought it was just the way I was getting shown the light, lol. Highlights: Bucket Sugaree Althea Deal Foolish Heart Lovelight encore https://jerrygarcia.com/show/1989-07-19-alpine-valley-music-theatre-east-troy-wi-usa/ *I didn’t see the Deer Creek show at the bottom of your Cats post, Tea. I’ll leave this up anyway if that’s cool. Both excellent shows.
  2. 3rd row, center section, aisle seat in front of Jerry (thanks, GDTS!). Thought I would wear my Help on the Way shirt that had a stealie with a Red Cross in it. Garcia approved. Best Deer Creek show of all time, imo. https://archive.org/details/gd90-07-18.sbd.wilson.12760.sbeok.shnf
  3. Yeah, I don’t think Naked Man (all 30 of him) would have been ok with the locals, haha.
  4. Joel, I thought you looked familiar. 😜
  5. As you are likely aware, the 7/17/89 show was an official video release titled “Downhill From Here”. You would like watching it if you haven’t already. 🤠 I would guess that Lemieux will use it as one of the Shakedown Stream presentations if they keep doing that, because he is typically using previously released shows (tonight’s from 7/8/90 is extremely choice). A strange fact about the Downhill From Here production is that they used the end of the first set from final night of the run (7/19) instead of the Row Jimmy, Masterpiece, Push-Shove, Music Never Stopped (the Music was used on the Fallout from the Phil Zone release) that actually closed this set. The West LA, Desolation, Deal are similarly smoking hot, but the switch is inexplicable. Bobby did not change shirts mid-set, haha.
  6. It started to rain during Mighty Quinn (encore of the next night), and never stopped. It’s still raining in Noblesville, to this day. The weather this night (was a Monday) and for nearly all of the 7/18 show was sublime (for summertime). If it’s any consolation, AC, I don’t really remember a damn thing from Alpine 88. #FreshGooneyBirds
  7. which show we talkin, Greg? im obviously going to agree and this obviously applies to about 98% of the 2300 shows to choose from, but just curious where your head is...
  8. Today’s Alpine show was among the most fun and most exactly perfect time I’ve ever had, concert or otherwise. I consider myself lucky and am grateful for having had the experience.
  9. Today has a lot of great shows. I’ll add 1982 to the thread. One word: Ventura. If you never been, you should go. Cool town. https://www.gratefuldeadoftheday.com/07-17-1982
  10. While the Crazy Fingers I mentioned was more about the typical, Jerry belts out “Gone are the days” while Bobby and Brent are loudly exclaiming “Life may be sweeter”, the China Doll was a bit of what you’re describing, AC. Although in this case it happened to Jer. Not quite like Wharf Rat 6/18/95 or anything on that level, but lost a bit. Whatever it was he wanted to set it straight, for we got it two shows later out of space at Alpine (7/18), executed magnificently.
  11. 31 years ago today, the first of 14 shows at Deer Creek took place on July 15, 1989. Your friend, Desert Dead, proudly attended every one of them. (We should have had 15, damn gate crashers!) It will surprise exactly no one here that this was a very spirited performance. And although there were a few pretty major foibles (Crazy Fingers, China Doll), it did not deter from the fun of it all one bit. Garcia’s guitar tone was particularly sharp (in a good way) this evening. Close Encounters space in here as an added kicker. Uno: Bertha, Greatest Story Ever Told, Candyman, Walkin' Blues, Peggy-O, Queen Jane Approximately, We Can Run But We Can't Hide, Bird Song Dose: Foolish Heart, Victim Or The Crime, Crazy Fingers-> Truckin'-> Smokestack Lightning-> Drums-> Jam-> China Doll-> All Along The Watchtower-> Stella Blue-> Sugar Magnolia, E: Brokedown Palace https://archive.org/details/gd89-07-15.sbd.11266.sbeok.shnf
  12. If you’re not familiar with 7-13-84, you should be. Be sure not to leave before the encore. https://archive.org/details/gd84-07-13.sbd.ferguson.353.sbeok.shnf
  13. 7/5/81. Charlie Miller would like the Zoo to reopen today. https://archive.org/details/gd81-07-05.sbd.miller.30648.sbeok.flacf
  14. here’s set 2 I went with VoodooNOLA’s posting, which is only set 2, just because you know the quality will be as good as it can be. The whole show is out there, though.
  15. Bobby got back by his monitor and took to one knee for special feedback during the thick of it. It was pretty deep stuff, especially for a first set. Both of those shows were so much fun.
  16. Good call, Bill. I think Tea might have been there. Here’s set 2 for those who’d like to take it for a spin.
  17. This is a crappy story and I’m sorry to hear it. But Phish has a lot fans, and some of them are kynd people. Stereotyping is rarely accurate. Glad that you didn’t sink yourself to the level of someone who clearly doesn’t have respect for others. That can be very difficult to deal with. Peace, MC.
  18. Haha, that’s an awesome post, Greg. i can’t help but thinking if the grass is the victim or the crime here?
  19. Thanks, Greg. Likewise, I didn’t want to try to be funny as I wasn’t sure if you were playin’. Everyone here, including me knows that you are a great dude. I appreciate you coming back and clarifying.
  20. Not sure if serious? But, yes.
  21. I saw a guy named John Kadlecik play last night in Los Angeles. Talented cat. 😎
  22. Cubensis in Hermosa Beach. Recreated Without A Net. I would recommend them and will see them again.
  23. https://archive.org/details/gd81-03-05.wise.lutch.3920.sbeok.shnf/gd81-03-05d2t03.shn 3-5-81 was at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh. Check out the jam to open set 2 for something very unique, as it occurs while Jerry’s guitar is being repaired. This is a cool audience recording. It’s funny to me that I was once a bit of a soundboard snob, but now in my *more experienced* years I get especially excited about a quality, unique audience recording. Enjoy!
  24. Yeah, on 3/14/93 in Richfield. 🤣
×
×
  • Create New...