The Depot

Vince and Sue

• Forum MVP
Check out Eugene 93....That version is regarded as the seminal Standing on the Moon by many.
Eugene '93 is a great one to be sure, but my vote is Cal Expo 6/10/90 in a landslide. Doesn't have the frenetic conclusion, but after a perfect reading of the song the jam builds itself more delicately and beautifully.

As for 1st set Standings, the jam connecting Victim with Standing in Hamilton 3/21 should not be overlooked. Possibly as intense a 45 or so second bit of cacophony as existed in 1990! (And, there was even a Promised Land closure, for a proper end to the first set.)

• Forum MVP
Eugene '93 is a great one to be sure, but my vote is Cal Expo 6/10/90 in a landslide. Doesn't have the frenetic conclusion, but after a perfect reading of the song the jam builds itself more delicately and beautifully.

I'll have to listen that Standing tomorrow, because I don't remember it being a 'perfect reading of the song" leading up to the ending jam. I remember some vocal miscues--but that was a long time ago, so I'll get that one out.

While I'm at it I'll give a listen to blazing sequence of the fist night's UJB>China>Rider>Estimated>Foolish>D Star Jam--that was the highlight of that beautiful run for me.

and I'm in a all day mandatory meeting at work so posting is serving as an escape because this workshop is not very captivating. apologies in advance.

BTW--it wasn't a perfect reading for the Eugene 93 version either. Look to Louisville 90 or Cal State 90 (with a powerful ending jam) for those.

• Forum MVP
Check out Eugene 93....That version is regarded as the seminal Standing on the Moon by many.

very well aware of this one, it really is incredible, for me it is a toss up between this and this one - http://www.archive.org/details/gd95-06-30....3376.sbeok.shnf ..Jerry vocals are right on and filled with emotion and there's an awe-inspiring energy to it, and his lead just keeps on rising and eventually just rolls it around the 7:30 mark..sweet stuff.. i remember that '92 one that Mheyne mentioned, it is also pretty good, imo it doesn't top either on these nor the 6.10.90

i am going to have to find that old thread of mine and bump it up since this thread is supposed to be a review of night 1 salt lake city lol

• Forum MVP
I'll have to listen that Standing tomorrow, because I don't remember it being a 'perfect reading of the song" leading up to the ending jam. I remember some vocal miscues--but that was a long time ago, so I'll get that one out.

You have my utmost and sincerest apologies John--it WAS a perfect execution of that song leading up to the final jam. I have the strongest memory of two friends and I sitting in front of a fire the night after that show talking about the Standing and one of them saying something like "I don't like it when he messes up lyrics and tries to make up for it at the end...."

That must have been from another Calpo run.

Thanks also for providing the inspiration to listen to that one--like all those Built to Last songs, Brent's presence makes it SO much more powerful and complex.

I know many of us would have given anything to have heard what he would have done on Days, L R Road and Roads.

As for 1st set Standings, the jam connecting Victim with Standing in Hamilton 3/21 should not be overlooked. Possibly as intense a 45 or so second bit of cacophony as existed in 1990! (And, there was even a Promised Land closure, for a proper end to the first set.)

The Victim>Don't Ease from 10/26/90 (Miami) is pretty cool as well.

• Forum MVP

No worries, Dave. You'll have to make it over to Mill Valley sometime to listen to the 6/10 Schoeps FOB omni tape on my NHT 3.3s! Part of my love for that '90 Cal Expo run is the recordings are some of the finest ever made.

While you've got 6/10 handy, give the Jack Straw a listen too.

• Forum MVP
No worries, Dave. You'll have to make it over to Mill Valley sometime to listen to the 6/10 Schoeps FOB omni tape on my NHT 3.3s!

That actually sounds like a plan.

The lead-up into the Victim set opener on the 9th is simply nasty and that Looks a couple songs later was probably the last great one I ever saw.

After that J Straw you're talking about the next day and the famous Phil rant addressing the silly rumor that we all ate up like cotton candy--all of us going so nuts letting go of the anxiety of him leaving and just getting lost in the moment of screaming craziness, I'll never forget Phil making this kind of frantic, invisible box sign by his side (like someone drawing a box in the air with an invisible pen--or finger to be more exact) while Garcia was looking at him and Garcia kind of shaking his head and putting two fingers down by his side, as if to tell him "second set Phil."

And lo and behold what opened the second set?

GD sign language at its best!

So grateful for the two night show that DSO gave us! Happy to see them at home! Thanks to DSO and their crew for all they do for us! Very glad to see Lisa come out for a lot of the songs on the 2nd night. I didn't want to come back to work today, all I want to do is plan a road trip and see more shows!

John sang "Standing on the Moon" like an angel, it made me cry.

Scott (Weather Command) it was really nice to meet you! Hope to see you at more shows!

Archived