Garcia Movie(pre-grateful Dead)

subcooler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie will trace Jerry Garcia's life before Dead

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - The producing duo behind "Election" and "Little Miss Sunshine" are developing a biopic about Grateful Dead frontman Jerry Garcia.

The untitled project aims to reveal the roots of the counterculture icon, focusing primarily on Garcia's early life in the Bay Area before he joined the band that would become the Grateful Dead. The period includes a stint in the military, a life-changing car accident and his first creative encounters with members of the Northern California music scene like future Dead bassist Phil Lesh.

Veteran producers Albert Berger and Ron Yerxa, who have collaborated on some of the biggest indie hits of the past decade, have reunited with their "Hamlet 2" partner Eric Eisner on the project. They acquired the rights to Robert Greenfield's book "Dark Star," an oral history of Garcia from dozens of people who knew him, including musicians, relatives and artist friends like Ken Kesey.

Music rights also are being negotiated, though given that the period in Garcia's life that's covered is pre-Dead, the producers could avoid some of the trickier negotiations.

Topper Lilien, who wrote Universal's Paul Newman-starring drama "Where the Money Is," is attached to write the screenplay.

The Dead have been the subject of number of documentaries -- including 1977's "The Grateful Dead Movie," a concert film Garcia directed -- but the story of Garcia's life has never been told on the big screen.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

The above article was posted on GDRadio, sounds like an interesting movie !

Seems to be old news, has it been posted here before?

See Ya' in the theaters,

Rob

• Forum MVP

This makes me curious about the status of "Missing Jerry," the movie that was to chronicle the lives if several Deadheads with the point of departure being his passing. Parts of it were filmed at Hampton Beach while we were at a DSO show there. I may have the name of the film wrong; it has been several years since the project was announced.

This makes me curious about the status of "Missing Jerry," the movie that was to chronicle the lives if several Deadheads with the point of departure being his passing. Parts of it were filmed at Hampton Beach while we were at a DSO show there. I may have the name of the film wrong; it has been several years since the project was announced.

I believe the piece was dated Nov. 2008-I thought it was only a few months old when I saw it(really not news worthy @ this point!)

In any event-I wander what the movies status is?

Peace,

Rob

Archived