Winter Olympics

bs69

Yes, I do like to watch the Winter Games. I really got into watching that short track speed skating last time. I like the skiing, hockey, and bobsled also. Luge is sick. Curling is a bit odd but I found myself intrigued by it for some reason.

• Forum MVP

For the Winter Olympics, I tend to only watch the Ski Jump and Hockey. Although, for some reason, if I turn it on and Curling is being shown, I have a really hard time turning it off, once I see it.

What I am very interested to see, is the coverage of Vancouver itself. Since I typically send at least two weeks a year in Vancouver for work and know how the area is laid out, I am quite interested in how they are going to make it all work, logistically speaking. The Ice Skating arena, is so far off the beaten path, its scary. Not only that, but it is almost entirely blocked in by one lane roads. The roads in and out of Whistler, for the major ski events, is also small and sketchy if the weather is bad. They are using another ski area for some of the smaller events. However, they are probably going to have a majority of man-made snow on those runs as the snow fall has been significantly lower than normal.

So in a nutshell, I will be watching the news coverage of the Olympics a little bit more than the actual events. Plus, I'm also quite intriugued by the possibility of Vancouver's "slum" district getting some air time. For those that are unaware, Vancouver has an area called East Downtown (might be Downtown Eastside) which is the most concentrated drug and poverty area in North America(!!!!). Having driven through there a couple of times, it is a scary place. Being from San Francisco, I beleive that I would rather take my chances walking through the Tenderloin with a fist full of $100 bills in the air than have to walk through that area of Vancouver with a gun, no lie. As the story goes, the Vancouver Olympic Committee, specifically made sure to stay far away from that area when they were giving the Olympic officials the tour of the city. Also had the cops basically barricade the "undesirables" inside that area, so that they were not seem anywhere else in the city.

So I'm very curious on how it all plays out on TV. Another interesting story. The Vancouver Convention Centre is the media hub for the Olympics. They have taken over all 500K sq ft of the place and will be running everyhting through there. Which is great because the Centre is located right on the water. Easily the best view from any convention center in North America. Only catch is that there is a float plane launching area right in front of your view. Well, in order to fill those planes up, there is also a floating Chevron station about 50 yards out in the water. Chevron is NOT the official "petrol sponsor" of the Olympic. So on every shot you see of the harbor, the Chevron station will be digitally removed. There is also a sulfur plant along the NW side of the harbor. The big joke at the convention center was that when the Media honchos did a site inspection, they actually asked if the sulfur plant could be "relocated". So apparently, the sulfur plant will be digitally removed as well. Lets not let the world see the city as it really is, lets just digitally remove all the things that the media deems to be unsightly.

Good grief.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't even think of it as being "a miracle on ice". This team is good. I had them down for the silver medal before the preliminary rounds started. The 1980 version was with amateurs...not NHL'ers. None the less; the win over Canada was a mild upset at best. I think Canada will meet their Waterloo against Russia tonight. I do believe the gold medal game will be Russia vs. USA (Homer Simpson chant....USA, USA).

I think the 'Nuckers didn't care much for that setback on Sunday. Russia looked like a bantam league team yesterday. The Slovak's could be a trap game for the boys up north. If it is a rematch, I'm guessing the fabric of the game will be different than Sunday's preliminary game. But yes that would be a fitting payback.

Archived