Furthur: Bethlehem

VincentPuleo

I've gone from an initial anger at Phil and Bobby's vocal takeover to excitement at John's earning new songs (culminating with DEW), but now my feeling is just disgust. The time for benefit of the doubt is past. Having Bobby sing Black Peter and Row Jimmy is just stupidity. I mean, does anyone at this point really think that John can't do a better job? To take what could have been a true thing of beauty and reduce it to musical rubble. How sad. I don't think I could ever sing loud enough to drown that out.

• Forum MVP

I've gone from an initial anger at Phil and Bobby's vocal takeover to excitement at John's earning new songs (culminating with DEW), but now my feeling is just disgust. The time for benefit of the doubt is past. Having Bobby sing Black Peter and Row Jimmy is just stupidity. I mean, does anyone at this point really think that John can't do a better job? To take what could have been a true thing of beauty and reduce it to musical rubble. How sad. I don't think I could ever sing loud enough to drown that out.

thats the main reason I will never go see further again,still to this day I don't want to see Bobby or Phil singing Jerry tunes.

Guest deadheadmike

thats the main reason I will never go see furthur again,still to this day I don't want to see Bobby or Phil singing Jerry tunes.

I'm surprised you guys aren't getting lambasted by the "Rights of Bob & Phil Police " ... Dave Stone got taken to task for speaking his mind on this subject , recently ... anyway , I agree with you both ... I'm going to see Furthur in Atlantic City next Saturday and I hope it doesn't turn out to be just a Rat Dog show featuring Phil Lesh on base ...

• Forum MVP

Phil and Bobby do have the right to sing whatever songs they like. It is after all Phil and Bobby's band. Just look at the poster, T-shirts, and billings. JK had to have known this when he signed on.

JK has the right to walk away from this band if he doesn't think they are reaching its potential. He won't, contractual agreements are hard to break and often lead to lawsuits. However, JK has the right to choose where, what, and with who he plays music.

Everybody in the world has a right to state their opinion or at least if they are residing in or doing it in the U.S. Including those that think Furthur would make much better music letting JK handle all of Jerry's parts, the Beatles songs added to mix, and any other songs added to the mix. I happen to agree with you those that think this band would sound better letting JK do that. However, I am not going to boycott Furthur because of some vocal complaints. Instead, I am going to enjoy myself at whatever concert I attend, especially if their playing dead music.

We all have a choice. If you don't think you will enjoy yourself, you probably should stay home. If not, come join in the dance and the good times. I, for one, enjoy the Furthur shows I attended.

Now, due to school sucking I am home this weekend, but will be making an appearance in Raleigh on Sunday to see DSO. Look forward to seeing all those complaining at the DSO show.

• Forum MVP

I can't believe more people aren't mentioning the technical difficulties and the fact that the sound was COMPLETELY shot for the entire second set.

In general, it looked as though the band members were taking turns having problems with their instruments.

Specifically, John's guitar only worked about half the time, Bobby's guitar sounded tinny and muffled, and even the keyboards didn't sound right at times.

I enjoyed the show overall, but words cannot express how much of a bummer it was to have the second set ruined by sound quality. As Bobby said: "This is proof positive that rust never sleeps".

It wasn't the sound quality ITSELF that ruined the second set for me, it was the fact that the difficulties the band were facing quashed ANY chance they may have had to establish a legitimate flow. They simply could not get into a consistent groove during the second set because the sound situation was so bad. It was quite obvious to me how uncomfortable and un-synchronized things became, but other people seem to have a different impression.

At any rate, I trust my ears, and things were simply NOT RIGHT during the second set.

As a matter of fact, I am still considering writing some sort of letter to the Stable arena staff to see if its possible to get some kind of partial refund---the sound during the second set was THAT bad. Something was seriously, seriously wrong.

Gog is right that their were technical difficulties throughout the 2nd half. This did prevent the band from getting into a real flow. However, from listening to dead shows, I have come to accept that on any given night there could be technical difficulties. I still enjoyed the 2nd set, but it was not nearly as good in my opinion as Fairfax, Barton, or Hampton. At least, we got a joke from Bobby.

• Forum MVP

Phil and Bobby do have the right to sing whatever songs they like. It is after all Phil and Bobby's band. Just look at the poster, T-shirts, and billings. JK had to have known this when he signed on.

It's getting to the point where it's funny that people somehow think that others who may offer opinions on who sings what somehow don't get this point.

I think this is the 64th time I've seen it made on this site alone in response to people talking about this vocal thing.

I mean, come on Ricke, I know you know we know this.

It's getting to the point where it's funny that people somehow think that others who may offer opinions on who sings what somehow don't get this point.

I think this is the 64th time I've seen it made on this site alone in response to people talking about this vocal thing.

A little off topic...John and Jeff are just developing an awesome musical partnership before our very ears...both beautifully enhancing/supporting each others solos...John is just shredding rhythmically as Jeff takes off...good stuff folks...I for one am enjoying hearing all this unfold! Not to mention JK's fat tone... Peace J

• Forum MVP

JK has the right to walk away from this band if he doesn't think they are reaching its potential. e won't, contractual agreements are hard to break and often lead to lawsuits.

Or he won't leave because he is absolutely LOVING playing in this band... which judging by last night. He is.

• Forum MVP

. However, I am not going to boycott Furthur because of some vocal complaints. Instead, I am going to enjoy myself at whatever concert I attend, especially if their playing dead music.

We all have a choice. If you don't think you will enjoy yourself, you probably should stay home. shows I attended.

If you are referring to what I said Rick ,all the power to you & go and have a fantastic time ,I simply just choose not to go one reason being what I had posted above and the other reasons being I would not post on the web becouse it would be stirring up alot of stuff that doesn't need stired.God bless and enjoy-peace

• Forum MVP

If you are referring to what I said Rick ,all the power to you & go and have a fantastic time ,I simply just choose not to go one reason being what I had posted above and the other reasons being I would not post on the web becouse it would be stirring up alot of stuff that doesn't need stired.God bless and enjoy-peace

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically Steve, but yes you would be included in those boycotting and I believe you to be perfectly valid in your stance. I simply don't share it. See you down the line at a DSO buddy.

• Forum MVP

David I was only repeating that and including it with the rest of my statement to show that I respect peoples right to complain about it and not attend their shows over it, as well as their choice to sing the songs. Obviously, I was stating the obvious, hence reference to T-shirts, billings, and posters.

• Forum MVP

Or he won't leave because he is absolutely LOVING playing in this band... which judging by last night. He is.

I couldn't agree with you more that JK is having a thrill playing with Phil and Bobby and reaching a wider audience of Deadheads. I still think he knows the Jerry ballads would sound better if he was singing. In fact, I know JK is loving this because he said it himself.

• Forum MVP

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically Steve, but yes you would be included in those boycotting and I believe you to be perfectly valid in your stance. I simply don't share it. See you down the line at a DSO buddy.

love ya buddy& keep your nose to the books,

• Forum MVP

David I was only repeating that and including it with the rest of my statement to show that I respect peoples right to complain about it and not attend their shows over it, as well as their choice to sing the songs. Obviously, I was stating the obvious, hence reference to T-shirts, billings, and posters.

Fair enough.

Guest deadheadmike

It is clear at the show some people really want Bobby to sing and some people even want Phil to sing. There is always some kind of uproar when Phil starts singing. My opinion is not truth just my opinion, but I think it would sound better if the Jerry tunes were left to JK with Phil and Bobby taking part when harmonizing is appropriate. Just my opinion. I still danced my ass off all weekend and had a great time sharing in the fun.

I think these people you refer to as up-roaring when Phil and Bob sing the Jerry tunes were probably very young when Jerry passed and they see Phil or Bob singing these songs as normal because all they've seen as far as shows would be Rat Dog or Phil & Friends ... we know most of the .org or philzone people don't go to DSO shows just by the way they post about them and none of that needs to be repeated ... so except for us old heads that have had the pleasure of experiencing the original GD and were smart enough to get on the DSO bus to enjoy the real continuation of this beautiful music like the younger heads such as yourself Rick , Torin , Jordan and the rest of the young starheads that embrace what DSO does for the music are the ones that are always going to be a little annoyed by this unorthodox lead vocal organizing to this music we know and love , especially when they have JK ... so basically the people applauding for Phil when he sings " Eyes" don't know any better .

dsorocks.gif

I think these people you refer to as up-roaring when Phil and Bob sing the Jerry tunes were probably very young when Jerry passed and they see Phil or Bob singing these songs as normal because all they've seen as far as shows would be Rat Dog or Phil & Friends ... we know most of the .org or philzone people don't go to DSO shows just by the way they post about them and none of that needs to be repeated ... so except for us old heads that have had the pleasure of experiencing the original GD and were smart enough to get on the DSO bus to enjoy the real continuation of this beautiful music like the younger heads such as yourself Rick , Torin , Jordan and the rest of the young starheads that embrace what DSO does for the music are the ones that are always going to be a little annoyed by this unorthodox lead vocal organizing to this music we know and love , especially when they have JK ... so basically the people applauding for Phil when he sings " Eyes" don't know any better .

dsorocks.gif

You may be right, but you'd think even the younger crowd is still familiar enough with the original GD versions from CDs, etree and internet archive to be able to appreciate the skill, heart and overall superiority of JK's versions. I think it just comes down the "there's no accounting for taste" factor.

You may be right, but you'd think even the younger crowd is still familiar enough with the original GD versions from CDs, etree and internet archive to be able to appreciate the skill, heart and overall superiority of JK's versions. I think it just comes down the "there's no accounting for taste" factor.

Yes indeed...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of "your" world... :)

Archived