No More Do I>

Eyes Of The World>

Terrapin Station>

The Wheel>

Touch Of Grey

Encore:

Brokedown Palace (BW)

• Forum MVP

Looks like a wonderful show... my only thought with the vocals is that I really believe John should be singing Eyes of the World. Not so much because I don't want to hear Phil sing but because I want to hear Phil be able to play bass more freely.. without having to think about singing.

• Forum MVP

Looks like a wonderful show... my only thought with the vocals is that I really believe John should be singing Eyes of the World. Not so much because I don't want to hear Phil sing but because I want to hear Phil be able to play bass more freely.. without having to think about singing.

OUCH!!!

Row Jimmy, black peter, BROKEDOWN, wow, wtf???

OUCH!!!

Row Jimmy, black peter, BROKEDOWN, wow, wtf???

Just got back.There were really good times and really troublesome times.Tonight this group EARNED there money and it did not look easy.I really felt for John tonight and one point I think if he could have dissapeared he would have.BUT he percerveared sp? and so did the music.The Black Peter and the Row Jimmy were the absolute highlight of a tough night for these guys.And I'm one of there biggest fans.

Guest crazy digits

We all know what John does with Row J.

He just about takes flight with these vocals as well as that slide solo.

I'm hoping this isn't set in stone.

It seems to me that JK is starting to get more and more but yet there is still bobby and phil singing the jerry tunes...its alright folks, just let be...who would have thought we would have two great bands to go see say some 15 years ago?? At least they're doing jerry tunes...my guess is bobby and phil really miss ole jerry and love to sing these tunes :-) tonight i really loved passenger, bertha , terrapin, eyes and touch..

• Forum MVP

bobby definitely took control last night. he completely butchered black peter, row jimmy, and brokedown, BUT, thats alright. I discovered that the best thing to do is just to sing along when bobby sings jerry tunes...shit the crowd knows the words and tempo better than bobby does. despite this the show was very good, had a great time dancing in the back. Looking forward to AC...

• Forum MVP

Brokedown is definitely sacred territory but we all know what John does with that one... I feel that as some other songs have migrated over to John (Ramble On Rose, Sugaree, Birdsong) maybe Row Jimmy, Black Peter (in the second set), and eventually Brokedown will be brought to John to sing as well. Either way, the amount of songs John is singing has gone up so much since the beginning so I am psyched no matter what..

I have become more accepting of the vocal choices with this band. Some actually have worked better than I would have imagined. Peggy-O with Phil is a good example. Sounds absolutely awful in concept, but actually sounds good. However, some other choices are just plan bad decisions IMO. Not letting JK do Row Jimmy is Exhibit A. John absolutely kills this song with both his vocals and his guitar work. It is completely baffling why Weir would take this on. This is NOT a song that should be Shatnerized!! I'm glad I wasn't there to hear this in person. It was bad enough hearing Bobby butcher SOTM on December 30, but having this travesty would have really put a big dent on the evening for me, as I really love Row Jimmy. It is one of my favorite songs with the GD and DSO. Weir has no business trying to sing it.

• Forum MVP

I have to agree with those expressing the sentiment that Bobby shouldn't be singing some of Jerry's tunes. JK would certainly have taken the Row Jimmy and Black Peter to a higher level. Although with JK, a Bobby sang ballad may have monumental guitar solos and instrumentals, for me, it will be tough to get a transcendental experience when Bobby singing Jerry's ballads. Something I feel JK achieves for me from time to time when singing the ballads.

However, I don't go to the show to complain and be upset with the music being played. The band still sounded great and the Bobby sang Jerry tunes are solid with excellent instrumentation. The only complaint is Furthur doesn't allow itself to reach its full potential when they don't have JK sing Jerry's tunes.

Nevertheless, this was a great weekend with Hampton, Fairfax, Barton Hall, and Bethlehem. I was partial myself to Hampton and Barton Hall, but enjoyed all the shows. I felt like their was too much Bobby at Bethlehem and I was in the bleachers for Fairfax which is often an energy kill for me. I am very excited to see Furthur again in about a week, but I look forward to going to see DSO next weekend.

It was great to see several friends and starheads at the shows, even those that have kept quiet about their Furthur attendance.

3c123959.jpg

Very well said RickE. I'll admit you caught me there. Great to see you and the "other ones" there. I won't be back until all the members take their respected positions in the band. Enogh is enough. I really like them to but I'm not willing to lay my money down to feel frustrated.

• Forum MVP

Hey now.. we can't be unaware of all the positive things that have happened in terms of vocals. Many songs have moved over to John completely that he didn't sing at first. JK did ask us to trust him that it is a good thing that some of the Jerry songs are shared.

I was at the show and thought Row Jimmy was the highlight of the night. Yes, I would have loved for Jk to sing it, but I thought Bob did a decent job with it. Kadlecik and Chimenti provided some very tight solos and funniest thing I saw all night was when Bob started rowing with his guitar in the final jam....hilarious.

that being said, i thought black peter sucked and was completely flat. as for the encore, i was so blazed at that point that i didnt care who was singing.

• Forum MVP

Its funny, the highlight of the night for me was Phil's eyes and JK's Rueben, but the eyes had nothing to do with Phil's vocals, the jams by Jeff and JK were amazing. That being said, I trust JK that for the longevity of Furthur and I think this has legs for a few years sharing the vocals for now probably makes most sense until everyone gets comfortable in the band. Sadly, that means the fans may not get what they want to hear and the quality of music may be hurt. Of course, these are just my opinions. It is clear at the show some people really want Bobby to sing and some people even want Phil to sing. There is always some kind of uproar when Phil starts singing. My opinion is not truth just my opinion, but I think it would sound better if the Jerry tunes were left to JK with Phil and Bobby taking part when harmonizing is appropriate. Just my opinion. I still danced my ass off all weekend and had a great time sharing in the fun.

• Forum MVP

I discovered that the best thing to do is just to sing along when bobby sings jerry tunes...

Maybe I'll try that!

Although with JK, a Bobby sang ballad may have monumental guitar solos and instrumentals,

The Standing from Barton was a good example in my mind. There was no big solo at the end of it and, if I was a betting man, there would have been if John had been taking the vocals.

That Standing was BEGGING for a big solo to finish it off.

Maybe I'll try that!

The Standing from Barton was a good example in my mind. There was no big solo at the end of it and, if I was a betting man, there would have been if John had been taking the vocals.

That Standing was BEGGING for a big solo to finish it off.

The Black Peter/ spoken word version is rough...and then to have BW trying to play slide in between phrasing only makes it a harder listen...

• Forum MVP

I stopped reading at "Row Jimmy (BW)". Wrong, Wrong. Wrong. I've heard Weir do it with Ratdog and it was only OK. To sing it when the band has someone who can really sing it, is just a sin.

That said, I'm sure everyone had fun. I've never not had fun at one of these shindigs.

I had a blast at the stabler! Some highlights for me was reuben an cherise, row jimmy and even though im not a big fan of touch of grey the stabler was on fire for it! I had plenty of dancing room but I got some weird vibes from the crowd. Good to see some starheads :) and thank you steve for the ticket!!! Ready for AC and possibly going to the last night in NY if funds are all good.

I can't believe more people aren't mentioning the technical difficulties and the fact that the sound was COMPLETELY shot for the entire second set.

In general, it looked as though the band members were taking turns having problems with their instruments.

Specifically, John's guitar only worked about half the time, Bobby's guitar sounded tinny and muffled, and even the keyboards didn't sound right at times.

I enjoyed the show overall, but words cannot express how much of a bummer it was to have the second set ruined by sound quality. As Bobby said: "This is proof positive that rust never sleeps".

It wasn't the sound quality ITSELF that ruined the second set for me, it was the fact that the difficulties the band were facing quashed ANY chance they may have had to establish a legitimate flow. They simply could not get into a consistent groove during the second set because the sound situation was so bad. It was quite obvious to me how uncomfortable and un-synchronized things became, but other people seem to have a different impression.

At any rate, I trust my ears, and things were simply NOT RIGHT during the second set.

As a matter of fact, I am still considering writing some sort of letter to the Stable arena staff to see if its possible to get some kind of partial refund---the sound during the second set was THAT bad. Something was seriously, seriously wrong.

Archived