Birdsong>

Jam>

Born Cross-Eyed

Scarlet Begonias>

Fire On The Mountain>

Sugar Magnolia

Encore:

The Weight

just returned from the show... I really don't know what to say... I am at a loss for words. I will try to write some of thoughts on it tomorrow. It was definitely a special one.

Set I:

Feel Like A Stranger

Loose Lucy

Must Have Been The Roses

Deep Elem

Just A Little Light

Money For Gasoline

Loser

Sugaree

Set II:

Truckin'>

Deal

Viola Lee Blues>

Acid Test Jam>

Viola Lee Blues

Nobody Girl>

Birdsong>

Jam>

Born Cross-Eyed

Scarlet Begonias>

Fire On The Mountain>

Sugar Magnolia

Encore:

The Weight

just returned from the show... I really don't know what to say... I am at a loss for words. I will try to write some of thoughts on it tomorrow. It was definitely a special one.

This was an excellent show and one I will remember for some time to come.

• Forum MVP

The ride to the venue from Boston was very easy... nice long roads with lots of trees. Walked through the Shakedown which was nice, some really great homemade shirts and tapestries. Before I get into the music, let me just say this was a different band than I saw in Wallingford. This was simply "it". John was way more up in the mix and Sunshine and Zoe were great auditions to the band. They were so much more balanced.

So, a few seconds after arriving to my seat the strange night had already begun. Stranger was very good... John's solo brought the music to such a high plane. This is when I realized JK was not waiting for cues the band had more of a group mind going.. they were just doing it. Loose Lucy was cool, the original phrasing did not come to mind... Bobby sings this well. Wonderful light work, although most of the show my eyes were closed... it really was great. Roses came and I was so happy... it was beautiful. I was already so fulfilled, just as Phil was... he had his back toward the crowd and was just feeling the love. Nice jam into Deep Elem which was a great version.. grooved. I wasn't sure at first what Just A Little Light was for I am not all that familiar with the song. It was so awesome to hear John sing a Brent song. Money For Gasoline was also something I wasn't sure of at first but soon figured out it was a Ratdog song. The harmonies were very strong, this is where I first really felt the presence of Zoe and Sunshine. John went right into Loser... oh man, so nice. As I said, I was hearing the John I knew from DSO. Naturally, he is much more comfortable after another month of playing in the band. Sugaree was a nice surprise since it had just been played at Barton Hall. Bobby stepped up and sang a great version. I also came to the realization that who sings what is just unfolding drama. At this point John is sing a lot... if Bobby decides to sing a Sugaree I am going to embrace it and I truly did. It was just more bliss... John was bouncing around watching it all happen. Phil... Phil is just a Zen Master. He is a shaman. From where I was, you couldn't tell if you was 30 or 70 years of age. Such good interaction with John in building up the jam. Intense solo by Chimenti.

Very well behaved crowd... your normal share of bus chasers or touch of greyers what ever you want to call it... people who are there for reasons other than the music... There were these black tent like things with no tops that the band was hanging out in... one on each side of the stage. Phil went into one by himself for a while as the rest of the band was in the other... I couldn't see what he was doing inside. Possibly making a sandwich.

Lights out... really nice jam, the shuffle starts so I was feeling the Truckin'... John comes in... In a different incarnation... the known jam that gradually rises and then explodes a lot of the time usually wouldn't happen. Here it did and it was amazing. Phil was even more in the mix now and he was dancing a bit. I put the transition in bold because of how good it was. John navigated this and dropped right into Deal. Which was just amazing. "Amazing" was a common theme for me and this show, I hope it was for everyone else as well!.. I have never heard a Viola Lee Blues; I was psyched. Everyone in the band was just becoming one... the vocals on Viola Lee were so strong. This is what it is all about. Then as my dad titled it... the Acid Test Jam. This was going so far out... John did some wild things. Then... another powerful verse of Viola Lee. The jam into Nobody Girl sounded a bit like When I Paint My Masterpiece... took a bit to get started because Bob put on his pink guitar, I think it is a Modulus, then realized he wanted to play his Fender.. Nobody Girl was nice, I was hoping to hear a Ryan Adams song. The jam into Birdsong was very good and the intro was strong... Phil sang this version and I have honestly never heard his voice better. The vocals were so inspiring and I was not thinking, "I wish John would have sang this one"... it wasn't even as I was purposefully not thinking that thought. I was just so in the here and now it didn't matter. Birdsong started to get really meditative, John was messing with some different tones. Russo was also doing some really cool things... he has learned the way of the playing with Phil. Him and Jay Lane are perfect for the band in my opinion. Another strong jam and transition in Born Cross-Eyed. I have never heard Bobby sing this as well as he did here... and I've never experienced a better version as a whole. Then a short jam came and John eased his way into making the Scarlet Begonias very clear. This Scarlet Fire was beautiful... just transcendental. I was just so happy to be experiencing this and as that thought came to my mind.. Sugar Magnolia. I have always felt this song as suffered over the years... weird tempo. The Letterman version during the spring Dead tour would be a good example. Something different happened here...this was without a doubt the best Sugar Magnolia I have ever seen. I'm interested in what more experienced heads thought about this Sugar Magnolia.. I felt it was particularly special. Bobby was awe-inspiring... the energy flowed all through Sunshine Daydream and it kept getting stronger and stronger.

"I know you guys always hear this but I'm going to keep saying it".. great Donor Rap...

The Weight... this was just exactly perfect. John took the first verse or two, Bobby the second... then Phil took the Rick Danko verse. It was so cool to hear this done the GD way, with shared verses and all.

This show embodied everything that one would think when it was first known John was playing Bobby and Phil and it seems like it's going to continue to grow into something very special. Someone gave me a card yesterday for the "Naveta Camping & Music Festival" in Oxford Maine... first week of July. Summer plans have already begun...

• Forum MVP

it was a nice version.. Bob surprised me this show. Listen to his playing on Scarlet Fire... and Sugar Magnolia.

This show was just put together well the transitions were so nice... when I see Born Cross-Eyed in between Birdsong and Scarlet Begonias it doesn't look to right... but it was so right!.. shows how to a certain point you can't judge a show by a list alone.

• Forum MVP

I am really surprised Bob sang the Sugaree after the version they did in Ithica.

Ditto. Shocked actually. It's curious that these songs remain a moving target.

Oh, and Stone, we really gotta get you spelling "Ithaca" correctly. :P

Thanks for the write-up, Vincent. You go college in Boston? What school? And I take it your father has been a long time fan of The Boys and this is where you got exposed to the music? That's pretty cool. Sounds like a good story. It's great to see people your age becoming students of this long strange trip...

• Forum MVP

Yes, I go to Berklee College Of Music.. studying business and music.. My dad has been, all started when he first heard American Beauty playing out of the PA at a concert, first show in 76.. Grateful Dead was always played in the car.. I think I was listening to "Not For Kids Only" since I was only a few years old. It started for me when one day when the Grateful Dead movie soundtrack was on... and I thought, "wait a second, what is this I'm hearing?".. the rest is history.

• Forum MVP

It started for me when one day when the Grateful Dead movie soundtrack was on... and I thought, "wait a second, what is this I'm hearing?".. the rest is history.

Cool. That's about as good as it gets. What a ridiculously hot Eyes of the World!

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel

The jam into Nobody Girl sounded a bit like When I Paint My Masterpiece... took a bit to get started because Bob put on his pink guitar, I think it is a Modulus, then realized he wanted to play his Fender.. Nobody Girl was nice, I was hoping to hear a Ryan Adams song.

I actually felt like the intro. into Nobody Girl reminded me more of 'Sing Me Back Home'...

I thought that Nobody Girl was easily the highlight of the night. JK approaches it like the Jerry ballad that never was... The jam out of it is just completely epic, nearly like some of the big monstrous Morning Dew end-jams...

That was the highlight of the night for me, followed closely by Deep Elem Blues... Awesome show, great seat (5th row by JK). Just a great night all around! :icon14:

I am really surprised Bob sang the Sugaree after the version they did in Ithica.

Agreed. After what was done in Ithaca, Sugaree was kind of the let-down of the evening in Manchester. Well-played, but once you've had the best, why turn back to the horrid Shatnerization of such an epic Jerry tune? :mellow:

• Forum MVP

I actually felt like the intro. into Nobody Girl reminded me more of 'Sing Me Back Home'...

I thought that Nobody Girl was easily the highlight of the night. JK approaches it like the Jerry ballad that never was... The jam out of it is just completely epic, nearly like some of the big monstrous Morning Dew end-jams...

you're right.. that was another song it reminded me of. I first thought Sing Me Back Home then realized that be to epic for even this band in that spot of the show. I also think Nobody Girl is amazing.. I was thinking how I could easily imagine Jerry singing it.

and John A, yes... I think it was during China Cat Sunflower where I really started to feel it. That will always be my favorite version.

some videos from the show...

not great audio, but great visuals... watch through this whole thing, it gets so good...

Archived