Phish: Terrapin Station, 8/9/98

VincentPuleo

• Forum MVP

I do not know to much about Phish and honestly haven't listened to to much of them. I do know they are a great band through from my short listening throughout the years. I came across this and it blew me away. Great version, played as the encore for Jerry.

Thanks so much for this. I enjoyed it immensely. You can hear how surprised and excited the fans are as well.

Do you happen to know of any other instances of Phish covering Dead songs? It seems like it would have happened at least a few times, and yet I can find nothing about it online. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for the link.

• Forum MVP

I am not to sure but interested in that myself. The only other instance I know of is a Cold Rain & Snow... Phil was playint it with them. That is definitely on youtube somewhere... There is also that whole incarnation of Phil & Friends with Trey and RB...

and yes, the energy from the crowd was amazing..

• Forum MVP

Do you happen to know of any other instances of Phish covering Dead songs?

Thanks again for the link.

Shoreline in '98 and '99 had Dead covers as Bobby played one year and Phil the other. Might have been '99 and 2000. If you can find some old bootlegs, and I mean OLD, they used to cover the Dead quite a bit in their formative years. Apparently, this is the setlist from their first ever show:

Friday, 12/02/1983 Harris-Millis Cafeteria - University of Vermont, Burlington, VT

Soundcheck: Jam (with audience present)

Set 1: Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress[1], Proud Mary[1], In the Midnight Hour[1], Squeeze Box[1], Roadhouse Blues[1], Happy Birthday to You[1]

Set 2: Scarlet Begonias[1] > Fire On The Mountain[1]

Then there is:

Saturday, 12/01/1984 Nectar's, Burlington, VT

Set 1: Scarlet Begonias -> Fire -> Fire On The Mountain, Makisupa Policeman, Slave to the Traffic Light[1], Spanish Flea[2], Don't Want You No More[3] -> Cities[2] -> Drums[4] -> Skippy the Wondermouse[5] > Fluffhead[6]

Encore: Eyes of the World

But I would love to hear this one:

Friday, 05/03/1985 University of Vermont, Burlington, VT

Set 1: Slave to the Traffic Light, Mike's Song[1], Dave's Energy Guide[1], Big Leg Emma[2]

Set 2: Alumni Blues[1], Wild Child, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Jam -> Cities, Bring It On Home[3]

Set 3: Scarlet Begonias > Eyes of the World > Whipping Post -> McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters[1] > Makisupa Policeman[4], Run Like an Antelope[1] -> The Other One[2]

Encore: Anarchy

[1] First known performance.

[2] First known Phish performance.

[3] First known Phish performance; Bobby Brown on harmonica.

[4] Reggae jam.

Notes: This show was performed at the Last Day Party on UVM

Archived