Rolling Stone Articles

Guest L~Cat

• Forum MVP

thanks lis!

im a somewhat avid RS reader, and i've always dreamed of seeing dso in there.. anyways, thanks to furthur, dso has been mentioned quite a few times lately ([almost] any press is good press! but the explanations of/tidbits about dso were always positive!)

Very cool! This stood out to me, scrolling down, pretty heady.

From "Burnout Sets In, Dead Flat and Moody; Too Far Gone"

"But, y'know, I dug it, man," said Jerry Garcia the next night. "I can get behind falling to pieces before an audience sometimes. We're not performers; we are who we are for those moments we're before the public, and that's not always at the peak." He was backstage at the Robertson Gymnasium at the University of California at Santa Barbara, backstage being a curtained-off quarter of the gym, the other three quarters being stage and crowd. His red solid body Gibson with its "Red, White and Blue Power" sticker was in place across his belly and he caressed-played it without stopping. Rock the manager was scrunched in a corner dispensing Tequila complete with salt and lemon to the band and all comers, particularly bassist Phil Lesh who left his Eurasian groupie alone and forlorn every time he dashed back to the bottle.

"Sure, I'll fuck up for an audience," said Mickey from behind his sardonic beard, bowing. "My pleasure, we'll take you as low and mean as you want to go."

"See, it's like good and evil," Jerry went on, his yellow glasses glinting above his eager smile. "They exist together in their little game, each with its special place and special humors. I dig 'em both. What is life but being conscious? And good and evil are manifestations of consciousness. If you reject one, you're not getting the whole thing that's there to be had. So I had a good time last night. Getting in trouble can be a trip too."

Thank you, Lisa, for the link to these reviews. I especially dug reading Jerry's quotes, and found myself daydreaming about being at those events... if only I'd been a bit older at the time !!! Rolling Stone is definately a shadow of its former self, but it used to be such a cool read for us Heads.

I am SO glad that we have DSO bearing the torch of the Grateful Dead so brightly, and we are very lucky these deadicated individuals continue to grow as a group and tour so often, reminding us of how much the music of the GD means to us, and is part of our daily lives. Rare is the day when I wake up and don't have a Dead tune buzzing around my brain... better than coffee for getting me to face the day :)

Topher

Archived