Penn State 7/10/10

DaysBetween

Good times at ol' PSU. Show was 9/20/74 from France and opened with a hot Cumberland(!). Rest of the first set is good, standard DSO (10 beat BIODTL I believe, btw) until the WRSuite > Let It Grow > Stella Blue > Around. Lots of energy during the last half of the Let It Grow and Stella was very, very tender. Note to some folks in the crowd: ssshhhhhhhhh please ;) They learned by Brokedown in the 2nd. It was very hush hush where I was at then.

I thought Big River early in the 2nd was particularly tasty, as was Greatest Story. Obviously the best to come was Truckin > Eyes > NFA > GDTRFB > Saturday Night. I've seen a couple of '74 Eyes but this was probably the best. Kevin really took over the first part of the jam and owned it. The long transition from Truckin to Eyes was sort of deceiving; hints at The Other One, but then it mellowed out and it sounded familiar, and oh yeah, it's Eyes! Very well done boyz.

Filler of Rockin Pnuemonia (& THE BOOGIE WOOGIE FLU) also kicked ass. The Penn State crowd seemed to love the whole show. Lots of "Dark Star" shouts (for the band, not the song. Somehow, I could tell the difference). One guy yelling "Furthur who?" lol.

Sigh. :) Last one for me until the 'Burgh in September, at another place where the crowd is always nuts. Can't wait. By the way, have you seen the shoes with the toes built in? Weird, but cool. Hehehe

P.S. Thanks again B. Get some sleep.

Guest Lisacat

Busy day at PSU yesterday- not quite as crazy as homecoming but close. Good solid marathon show. The crowd was a bit lame at first but very respectful which was quite refreshing- no drunks, no creeps and the talking subsided after the first set. I did get a good laugh when a girl came up to me and said "I want whatever you're on" My response was "I'm on nothing but the Grateful Dead". I love that people assume you're on drugs just because you are spinning. But the cool thing was that after that she decided it was okay to move out of her seat and throw down and dance and then some more folks joined in.

This was my first single drummer show, and I have to say, Kevin blew me away. He totally stepped up and filled in the low end. He was dropping serious bombs up there. His solo on Eyes was a knockout as well. Eaton's rhythm work was stellar as well. The complete Weather Report Suite was a highlight for me. He seems to really shine when he grabs that Gibson.

Anyway, what a fun show, loved it. Sadly, after seeing DSO 5 times in 10 days, we won't be catching them til Mid-August. I might start to go through withdrawal. ;)

I'd like to hear this one... especially Kevin on the Eyes.

Vincent, the real bummer of it was that I didn't see any tapers at the show. Here's hoping for this show (or maybe the 7/11 show in NY) ending up as new downloads!

The crowd was definitely a rowdy ArtsFest bunch, and I could see how they could irk some. (It was particularly painful to hear people calling for "Shakedown" constantly when most people had already figured out it was a '74, but that's my snob moment of the weekend). We had quite the dance party on our side of the venue, though, and I thought it was a great time.

The "Cumberland" and the "Weather Report Suite" were the hot numbers in the first set, with Jeff doing a nice soulful "Stella." My favorite of the second set was the smokin' jam in "Eyes of the World," a really hot piece that awed me.

And no one has mentioned Kevin's bass solo in "Rockin' Pneumonia" yet? After one of his guitar solos, Mattson took his hands off his guitar and pointed to Kevin, as if to say "You'd better play something, 'cuz I'm taking a break!" Kevin proceeded to throw down a tasty little bass solo, complete with a funky little flourish at the end.

Smiles all around on the stage at that moment in particular, but definitely all night too. This was the first time I'd seen them with Jeff.

Guest Lisacat

splash_page.gif

smile.gif They are so perfect in every way. I have yet to find a shoe that I like better to dance in than my own barefeet. Highly recommended to any spinner out there. You can feel the floor, spin just fine (maybe not on carpet- that may be the only challenge), and keep your feet clean.

Archived