Dennis Kucinich @ Hempfest

cm_hayden

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

The man gave the most amazing speech. It is a shame that he can never be elected President. His point of view and explanation of America's problems is the most accurate and descriptive that I've read in years.

He certainly can be elected president if ever America would shake off the two-party hypnosis. As to whether his hypothetical election would be a good thing, ymmv. I grew up in suburban Cleveland and delivered the Plain Dealer when Kucinich was being vilified daily for his doomed-but-later-proved-right stand on the Muni Light issue. His courage to stand up to harsh criticism is his best quality. His starry-eyed idealism is inspiring and also kinda scary. "Department of Peace" sounds nice at a blush and frighteningly Orwellian upon reflection.

• Forum MVP

I read over what he said...

I think Kucinich is very wise and like anddave said is very admirable for his ability to stand up and speak his mind in the face of criticism. Very much of what he said I agree with, although not all. He still envisions a government much larger than what I believe in. The more power given to the government, the more power they have to violate our trust and abuse that said power.

One problem with living in a truly free society with little to no government is a lot of the comforts we as a society (talking America and some of Western Europe) would disappear. The best way to address the health care problem in this country is to take better care of yourself. The best way to take care of America's energy problem is to use less energy. The best way to ensure retirement security is to save while you work. The government shouldn't take care of these problems for us and if we want them to do so, then we have to let them make a whole host of other decisions for us. We can't be free to use recreational "drugs" if the government has to foot the bill for the health care problems that will inevitably ensue. We can't even be free to eat what we want. I know I would rather be free and die a little younger than sacrifice my freedom to live a little longer, but thats just me. For the most part, I think people disagree with me. We are far too comfortable to really want change.

Archived