Question to DSO Band Members

Octal

Lets say you're recreating a show (9-18-1970 at the Fillmore East, for example) and there is a pecularity in one of the songs (for example, in this show "Black Peter" was aborted after Jerry messed up the bridge). Is there an incentive to recreate this "mistake?" I know these shows are not note for note (nor even necessarily thematic--correct? I.e. a a Dark Star with a "tighten up" jam might not be recreated with a "tighten up" jam?).

Recognizing shows becomes recognizing setlists, and not those mistakes that stand out.

• Forum MVP

Lets say you're recreating a show (9-18-1970 at the Fillmore East, for example) and there is a pecularity in one of the songs (for example, in this show "Black Peter" was aborted after Jerry messed up the bridge). Is there an incentive to recreate this "mistake?" I know these shows are not note for note (nor even necessarily thematic--correct? I.e. a a Dark Star with a "tighten up" jam might not be recreated with a "tighten up" jam?).

Recognizing shows becomes recognizing setlists, and not those mistakes that stand out.

There are many later day shows that the boys weren't up to snuff(IMHO). When we recreate these shows we only aspire to greatness. Never would we purposely mess up or play sloppily just because they did.

There are many later day shows that the boys weren't up to snuff(IMHO). When we recreate these shows we only aspire to greatness. Never would we purposely mess up or play sloppily just because they did.

As far as thematic material, i.e. Tighten up jam, we like to throw those in for historical purposes and because they are big fun to play!

Archived