Taper Equipment Advise

MrNotFadeAway

The last discussion on taping equipment I found on this forum was from 2008, so I was wondering if a lots changed since then. I'm looking to get into this wonderful world and start taping myself.  5 years ago Oade Brothers Audio was recommended, the Marantz PMD-670 to be exact.  Is that still worthy of a starting recorder or has technology moved on?  Is it possible to buy a recorder and record off someone else's mics until I can afford my own rig? Any input is gratefuly appreciated!! Happy Thanksgiving!

I think the Marantz PMD-670 is obsolete. I haven't taped a live show in eight years so I am behind on technology.  My friend, Jeff, (who I "patched" in to at the first show I taped) is now using a Tascam DR-100mkII It will cost you about what the PMD-670 would.

• 4 Built-In Microphones
  • Dual XLR Inputs with 48V Phantom Power
  • 24-bit/96kHz WAV and MP3 Recording
  • Record to SD and SD-HC Cards
  • Line Level I/O
  • S/PDIF Input
  • Variable Speed Playback (-50% to +16%)
  • Built-in Speaker
  • Rugged Aluminum Casing
  • AC or Battery Power

Don't know what the taping scene is like either, but if you plan on patching you will want to have a good selection of cables and adaptors.

The whole story is: After the show at Shoreline Amph. 10/2/87 I stopped at a 7/11 store, the car I parked next to was playing a Dead tape. When asked the guy explained it was that nights show, that he took a recorder and asked someone with mic's if he could "get a patch". The next night I took a Boombox and a patch cable. I walked up to a guy that was setting up his mic stand. I asked him for a patch he replied "Yeah, but I ain't gonna run your deck for you" Jeff and I have been friends ever since and taped a lot of shows together. 

I taped several shows with that boombox (pictured below, the speakers were detachable) then I bought a Sony WMD6-C Cassette deck.  My last portable recorder is a Sony TCD-D8 DATcorder

gallery_19_98_21366.jpg

Archived