Axial Tilt, New Orleans May 6-7

• Forum MVP

I can’t seem to find where I saw this posted but Mattson, Eaton, Lisa and Skip are playing 2 after party shows this year. Since I can’t seem seem to find it I forget the rest of the lineup. We saw them in 2019 and they put on almost a 5 hour show each night. Was a lot of fun. Meili wants to go but no way we can get away 3 long weekends in May this year. Jazz Fest is the best time on the planet. If you can get away I highly suggest hitting 4-8 days down there. There’s 1-3 dead bands every night plus all sorts of all star collaborations. You get to eat at the best Oyster restaurant on the planet, Felix’s as well as hundreds of other great places. Music is 10a-5am every night and the 2a-5a bands are the wild collaborations. Besides the 1 day of doing actual Jazz fest which is like 11a-7p seeing Panic and lots more we mostly stuck to the 9-1a and 2a-5a schedule. 

here’s jazz fest grids. It will be updated a lot more but you get an idea. These will be completely filled in a few weeks. http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/second_weekend/

• Forum MVP

Here’s an idea how many bands are playing at the same time at different venues. 

Saturday 4/30. All of these shows are a 9-10pm start time at different venues 

Ween

Lettuce

Greensky Bluegrass

Voodoo dead

Dumpstaphunk 

New Orleans Suspects (Little Feat)

dirty dozen brass band 

note that 40% of clubs haven’t yet announced their schedule. That’s how nutty it is during Jazz fest. In 2018 or 19 Phil and friends was at same time as JRAD and Oteill and friends. There were literally 3 dead bands playing at the same time one night. It makes it tough to make decisions. Our 1st jazz fest was 2017 when DSO played 2 nights. Across the street Govt Mule was playing. That was before I knew about the grid site. I thought it was weird dso and govt mule were playing same time and had no idea that was just the tip of the iceberg. It’s really hard to sell out the big theaters because there’s too much at once so the small clubs make the most sense. You play jazz fest to have fun, not make money. For most bands it may pay for your hotel and a little food, but you probably aren’t leaving with a chunk of money. 

If you ever want to check it out, I suggest paying the extra money for an Airbnb right off Frenchman St. Being within a couple blocks of all those clubs makes it easy. We stayed in a super cute place with a courtyard that was literally 300 feet from Blue Nile and dba. If you can tell, I’m pining for the next time I get to go. It’s just that much fun!!!