Gamh - Friday Night

ThinMan

03-29-91 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, N.Y.

1: Stranger, Sugaree, Walking Blues, Dire Wolf, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali, Althea, Masterpiece

2: Iko Iko, Saint> New Speedway> Truckin> Drumz> Other One> Wharf Rat> Throwing Stones> Touch E: Brokedown

filler: Dancin, Ripple

great show...the iko, siant > speedway was huge, as was the masterpiece, the sugaree and the dancin

• Forum MVP

The whole show was sick, JK on fire, the crowd really into it. I loved the Althea Masterpiece and TOO>Wharf Rat was smoking. The Ripple was a personal meltdown, FWIW...aw hell, the whole damn show was huge!!

And guess what - more tonight. I miss you all - you know who you are!! ;):cheers::moon:

• Forum MVP

My favorites parts:

Last jam in Sugaree, where JK busted out all the stops; spiraling finger work, srubbing, etc

Althea, pretty much the whole rendition

Masterpiece, which was played like it was meant to be a 1st set closer as opposed a mid set Bobby Dylan number.

St. of Circumstance jam.

Other One jam.

JK seemed quite full of energy from the opening notes of Iko on...

Since I was in disbelief that the Dead has ever ended a set with Masterpiece, I was speculating that maybe the actual set had ended with one of Hornsby's numbers that DSO elected not to play, giving Masterpiece special treatment instead. Not that I had any real reason to think they would do that. Have they done the Hornsby songs? If so, who would sing them?

My favorites parts:

Last jam in Sugaree, where JK busted out all the stops; spiraling finger work, srubbing, etc

Althea, pretty much the whole rendition

Masterpiece, which was played like it was meant to be a 1st set closer as opposed a mid set Bobby Dylan number.

St. of Circumstance jam.

Other One jam.

JK seemed quite full of energy from the opening notes of Iko on...

Since I was in disbelief that the Dead has ever ended a set with Masterpiece, I was speculating that maybe the actual set had ended with one of Hornsby's numbers that DSO elected not to play, giving Masterpiece special treatment instead. Not that I had any real reason to think they would do that. Have they done the Hornsby songs? If so, who would sing them?

Here is the explanation to your set ending Materpiece conundrum:

Show #1,381 - Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA

Performing 3/29/1991 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, NY

1:Stranger, Sugaree, Walking Blues, Dire Wolf, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali, Althea, Masterpiece*

2:Iko Iko, Saint> New Speedway> Truckin> Drumz>Other One> Wharf Rat> Throwing Stones> Touch

Encore: Brokedown

Filler: Dancin> Ripple

with special guest Rob Barraco - original show without Bruce Hornsby - *PA problems during Masterpiece at the original show forced the end of the set (coincidentally Webcast shut down just before Masterpiece)

• Forum MVP
Here is the explanation to your set ending Materpiece conundrum:

PA problems during Masterpiece at the original show forced the end of the set...

Yeah, there was a guy next to me who was at the '91 Nassau show and pegged it.

My other guess was it was a '94 show and Jerry was too out of it to play his set closer.

What a great time friday was. It was the only show i saw in the run, but i got my DSO fill. They always amaze me with the way they play songs. Without the use of Psychedelics i still totally spaced for most of the second set, and don't remember the setlist. There was this area in front of Rob that was all Santa Cruz people(totally random). Even though we did'nt have a SC show, the SC kids got together and let the freak flags fly! Thank you DSO, I'm truly grateful! 5/11/01

love is home :dsorocks:

Archived