SICK SICK SICK 1/22/68

lookyloo

• 10 months later...
  • Forum MVP

Note quite sure if it was this show, as they played Eagles Auditorium 3 times that week, but I was talking about the Dead with a coworker of mine a few weeks ago(definitely NOT a Head, per say, but liked the Dead and saw them when they were in Seattle) and this is what he had to say about his 1st Dead show:

Eagles Auditorium, in either '67 or '68(he doesn't remember, suprise, suprise ;) ). He and some friends went to check out this band, The Grateful Dead, that they had been hearing so much about(they really know NOTHING about the Dead. No song titles, no recordings, Nothing. Complete Dead Virgins!). There are only a couple hundred people there, so it was quite intimate. He says that this band is on stage and they are playing some really spacey, far-out music. Everyone is having a pretty good time, but everyone is getting impatient for the Dead to come out. So on a break in the music(which apparently was well into the show), one of the people up front asks someone when the Dead is going to come on. As my friend tells it, one of the guys in the band with a fairly cheery, soft spoken voice (gotta be Jerry, right), walks up to the mike and says "Hey man, we ARE the Grateful Dead."

I love that story. How sick would it have been to catch a '68 show?? Man o Man!

Guest Thunder
Note quite sure if it was this show, as they played Eagles Auditorium 3 times that week, but I was talking about the Dead with a coworker of mine a few weeks ago(definitely NOT a Head, per say, but liked the Dead and saw them when they were in Seattle) and this is what he had to say about his 1st Dead show:

Eagles Auditorium, in either '67 or '68(he doesn't remember, suprise, suprise ;) ). He and some friends went to check out this band, The Grateful Dead, that they had been hearing so much about(they really know NOTHING about the Dead. No song titles, no recordings, Nothing. Complete Dead Virgins!). There are only a couple hundred people there, so it was quite intimate. He says that this band is on stage and they are playing some really spacey, far-out music. Everyone is having a pretty good time, but everyone is getting impatient for the Dead to come out. So on a break in the music(which apparently was well into the show), one of the people up front asks someone when the Dead is going to come on. As my friend tells it, one of the guys in the band with a fairly cheery, soft spoken voice (gotta be Jerry, right), walks up to the mike and says "Hey man, we ARE the Grateful Dead."

I love that story. How sick would it have been to catch a '68 show?? Man o Man!

^ it May have Been totally Seck, Big Sur.

• 3 months later...

Archived