Munhall, Pa

HelpSlip

• Forum MVP

My parents, Vince and Sue, flew up to Pittsburgh this morning and are there. they rented a car and will be at tomorrow's Cleveland show as well. they're keeping me updated, so i'll keep the forums updated..

2.24.09 Carnegie Music Hall, Munhall, PA

Original Set

http://www.archive.org/details/dso2009-02-24

Aiko

WangDang

DireWolf

Silver Threads

Mr. Charlie

Lazy River Road

Passenger

Mission

Pride of Cucamonga>

King Bee>

Pride of Cucamonga

Tangled Up

St.Stephen>

TwoSouls>

NFA>

St.Stephen>

Eleven>

NewPotato>

Drumz>

Comes A Time>

ThrowinStones>

Touch>

NFA

E: Sing Your Blues Away

Steve, just talked to Vince, he says HEY!

Vince said the Pride>Bee>Pride transition was sick and the Tangled Up was rippin!!

Bruno, sunny Fla is treating me pretty well bro!

http://www.archive.org/details/dso2009-02-24

• Forum MVP

Hay Torin, hope your folks are having a good time,I'm sitting in a internet cafe after having dinner ,its a balmy 81 degrees down here in the Roatan, just had to check in on what was happining with the shows.Hope you're having a good time Sue & Vince, safe travels & enjoy the music!!!!

Guest AugustWEST420
My parents, Vince and Sue, flew up to Pittsburgh this morning and are there. they rented a car and will be at tomorrow's Cleveland show as well. they're keeping me updated, so i'll keep the forums updated..

2.24.09 Carnegie Music Hall, Munhall, PA

Original Set

Aiko

WangDang

DireWolf

Silver Threads

Mr. Charlie

Lazy River Road

Passenger

Mission

Pride of Cucamonga>

King Bee>

Pride of Cucamonga

Tangled Up

St.Stephen>

TwoSouls>

NFA>

St.Stephen>

Eleven>

NewPotato>

Drumz>

Comes A Time>

ThrowinStones>

Touch>

NFA

Steve, just talked to Vince, he says HEY!

Vince said the Pride>Bee>Pride transition was sick and the Tangled Up was rippin!!

Bruno, sunny Fla is treating me pretty well bro!

great show really love that first set

it allmost like a 1970 show in the first set

nicely done yet again

thanks for posting the setlist

Encore was Let Me Sing Your Blues Away. William Tell Bridge before The Eleven. Saints Go Marching In tuning before Iko Iko.

The first set had it all. Wang Dang was pure gritty/grimy blues. Slower soulful Iko for Fat Tuesday. Mournful Silver Threads. A free-shooting Mr. Charlie. Mission was cool on a personal level because it's a favorite, it's my daughter's favorite bar none, it's her birthday today, and it'll be *10 years* of seeing DSO for me in June (6/23/99 at Graffiti Showcase in Da 'Burgh - anyone else??). Biggest surprise was the introduction of King Bee right during the Pride of Cucamonga's blues break. Tangled Up's end jam was mind melting it was so intense.

St. Stephen starts the second set, which doesn't really let any cats out of any bags. But there certainly was a storm coming! If you would have told me Barraco & Lisa would be tackling Two Souls in Communion, and doing it THIS well, I woulda said you were dreaming. Wow. Have they been playing this? I'm so out of the DSO loop nowdays lol. Good NFA back into Stephen then the 2nd surprise (for me at least) of the set, the William Tell. I'm enjoying this for a minute, and then I realize, "I should get my first Eleven!". Teehee. Giddiness ensues. After the Eleven I'm thinking they can't do Lovelight this early in a set, so what's next?? My first DSO New Potato. Ahhhh the joy. Another crazy drums/space that was also great to WATCH, in fact, a lot of great lights tonight. Throwing > Touch didn't fit the old school vibe of the set so far but you know what, that's why they call em original setlists.

This was one of THOSE shows and it seems to me that this band really brings it, whatever IT actually is, to the "big" shows like NYE, the Ledges, Mardi Gras. Wasn't there some band a long time ago that dropped duds at the big ones? I also caught the Columbus gig on Friday, which in my opinion was superior in sound quality, but Pittsburgh beat it in every other way.

PLEASE DSO, don't ever stop doing this! :D:dsorocks:

Oh, funny random quote from John, commenting on the hall's old vibe: "I feel like I should be speaking perpetually in iambic pentameter".

Guest DEAD HEAD

Yep , thats one I wish I was at too !!! As Bernie said "gotta love Iko openers "it seems to set the pace for a great show!!!... mission in the first set , comes a time in the second set ,what can you say but "PERFECT" ...

:dsorocks:

Fat Tuesday. The atmosphere was a party. Lisa's mask was great. The Iko-Doodle started things off on the right foot. Loved the Passenger, it really brought the level up. Mission was sweet. The Cucamonga sandwich came out of nowhere! Nice job. Tangled Up was the barn burner closer. Set 2 was a blast. Two Souls was perfect. Rob B & Lisa in complete harmony! Comes A Time, sweet as usually done. The Music Hall was a really cool place. As we were told, last year had some dancing issues. This time around, the front was packed, but the aisles had to be kept clear. It was comical seeing the "Aisle Police" hard at work trying to keep a bunch of Deadheads in their areas. They also had beer & wine in the closet which they didn't have before? Great show! Brad, great seeing you and we know you had a good time! Emily, great to see you again! Frank, hope you made it to Primanti Brothers for that awesome sandwich. We ate there before our drive to Cleveland. Yumm!!

Peace

Vince & Sue

Yep , thats one I wish I was at too !!! As Bernie said "gotta love Iko openers "it seems to set the pace for a great show!!!... mission in the first set , comes a time in the second set ,what can you say but "PERFECT" ...

:dsorocks:

AWESOME SHOW!

It was the first time I heard DSO do wang dang and it freakin ROCKED! The energy during passenger was spectacular and then mission was amazing to see.

I love the carnegie music hall...always have a blast there ;)

I can't stop listening to the Mission In The Rain and Stranger- Two Souls , from this show , both incredibly moving pieces (in my opinion at least). the fact that the Two Souls In Communion was put into the mix is just such an obscurely wonderful surprise I truly hope the band had as much enjoyment performing it as I am sure others have had listening to it ....the Grateful dead it has been reported only played this song at nine shows that would be a great number for DSO to exceed! as my opinion is only that of my own I guess time will tell but it sure would be nice to hear both that and Mission In The Rain at one of the northeast shows this early summer (preferably Ridgefield ) :D

p.s

Lonely Avenue would make a nice filler as well .....haha

again thank you to DSO for providing such truly special enjoyment , appreciated more than words can tell

• Forum MVP
the Grateful dead it has been reported only played this song at nine shows that would be a great number for DSO to exceed!

that really surprised me! i couldnt believe such an amazing song was only played a handful of times.. (fwiw, my quick check on setlists.net shows 2 souls was played 11 times)

my favorite version:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1972-05-2...41.sbeok.flac16

btw, the (dso) transition from 2 souls into NFA is really cool!!! and that tangled up is INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!!!! (so glad tangled up has been in the rotation lately! hopefully i'll finally get to see one!)

• Forum MVP
that really surprised me! i couldnt believe such an amazing song was only played a handful of times.. (fwiw, my quick check on setlists.net shows 2 souls was played 11 times)

I'm sure it would have been played a lot more had Pigpen lived longer.

The seminal version to me is the one played in Rotterdam 5/11/72, not long after the Existential Morning Dew, to which Garcia ended by screaming "I guess I don't matter anyway!" which opens an extraordinary second set.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd72-05-11....64.sbefail.shnf

• 3 weeks later...

Archived