Jump to content

Ammagamalin Crew

Forum MVP
  • Posts

    2,319
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    162

Everything posted by Ammagamalin Crew

  1. Had the same effect on me. We drive the 10 hrs from cincy for the first night which was on a Saturday night. China rider, my friend and I drove home straight after the first, missing the second and third night. Summer tour was on , red rocks, encouraged me to go to the two night new years "run" and then do every show in 86
  2. Philly 4.8.85 walking the dog, why don't we do it, third night at the Spectrum, last show of east coast spring tour
  3. 3/22/85 2nd night at Hampton. It was a green orb night
  4. The few experiences I've had with Lanois have been the most soothing and comfortable times of my life. He's one to see multiple shows because it takes at least one to realize where you're at when he takes the stage. No fears, a conpletely emotionally safe space that is a great place to go whenever possible, not often, go if you can, seriously, go, he knows the power of one
  5. They ripped in Covington last week
  6. Michael Cleveland played with them last night, mixlr billystreams Lexington, Louisville last night and again tonight. Just plug your phone into a stereo system and it's on... we got the ft Wayne show in april. BCE at Stanley's pub 3/28/20 , plan on staying at our place, futons and couches, it's going to be a late one, showers and coffee before heading home. All are welcome!
  7. The cover art to Flesh And Machine – the new album by gifted musician, renowned producer and ambient pioneer Daniel Lanois – contains a curious image: a baby with cybernetic antennae. The child represents Lanois himself. He explains: "The cover shows a boy who is looking for something that's never been heard before. He's my little seeker, he represents the bit of me that's always in the laboratory experimenting, looking for new sounds and sensations." But the image is apt in another way. Flesh And Machine, his third album for ANTI–, represents nothing short of a total artistic rebirth. Lanois has been involved in playing, recording and producing music for four decades now. In that time he helped push the ambient genre forward into celestial new territory as Brian Eno's foremost protégé; he has recorded landmark albums for U2 and Peter Gabriel and has helped to revitalize the sonic dimensions of Bob Dylan and Neil Young. But this marks the first time he has truly deployed every sonic weapon in his arsenal and attempted to break virgin ground in support of his own music. Lanois has a refreshingly optimistic attitude toward his craft and the creative potential it still holds: "I'm always heading for the future and I'm always hoping I'm going to find the next dimension of sound. It's my job to raise the spirit of sound. I've been able to do it a number of times in the past on other people's records. Well, it's still my job today to raise that spirit of sound and I'd like to think that I've done it on this record." Flesh And Machine was initially conceived as an ambient album, and tracks such as 'Forest City' take the classic Brian Eno albums that he worked on ("Ambient 4: On Land" (1982) and "Apollo: Atmospheres And Soundtracks"(1983) as a wonderful bedrock to stand on to see the sonic future. His guitar is processed to the point where it is no longer possible to tell what the source instrument is. The album bristles with new ideas. The softly spoken Canadian spent countless hours processing an array of source sounds – steel and electric guitars, piano and human voice – to create the sound palette that is Flesh And Machine. Talking about the track 'Sioux Lookout' he says: "It is meant to be a native chant or a cry for all living things. I wanted to mix the sound of humans with the sound of animals. But they're not animal sounds really – I've created all of these sounds myself but that's kind of my aim, you can't actually tell where these sounds came from. I got to this place of mysterious sounds and invented a new sonic language." He continues: "The track 'Two Bushas' is very symphonic and it almost sounds like someone is conducting it but the tones and textures can't be pinpointed. You wouldn't say, 'Oh, yeah, that's a flute and that's a cello.' The result is a symphonic one and it appeals to that part of us that responds to orchestral music but with sounds we're not used to hearing. On a good day, if I'm feeling big–headed, I like to think that I'm taking symphonics to the future." One of the many standout tracks on the record is called simply 'The End' and is supposed to represent "a final protest song, the closing of a chapter or the burning down of an edifice and the rising of a phoenix. It's hellfire, avalanche, collapse and tsunami: The End essentially!" He continues: "If you're expecting nothing but ambient music you'll be surprised... 'The End' is not meant to be peaceful and textural by any means. I think it has a lot of rebellion in it. I'm on guitar and Brian Blade is on drums and then everything else is processing. Brian and I have played together for a long time. Years ago I was taking a walk in New Orleans with Iggy Pop and we heard this amazing drumming coming out of this cafe. So we went inside and there he was... young Brian Blade ripping it up on the drums. And I've been working with him ever since; he's one of the greatest human beings I know." The stunning polyphony and cascades of ultra–pointilistic sound on this track all come from two humble sources: guitar and drums which are then sampled, sliver by tiny sliver, processed and placed carefully back into the track. All of these countless samples, no matter how radically they are changed, have to be placed back into their surroundings in a harmonically correct manner, so his process is not only highly technical but compositionally very astute as well. His method is so dazzling in places that sometimes sounds as if Burial, Amon Tobin, Prefuse 73 or Four Tet were producing a modern fusion LP. However, these effects were achieved by a personal evolution which was perhaps in some ways parallel but far, far removed as Lanois is blissfully unaware of who any of these producers are... He playfully doffs his cap to both his mentor Brian Eno and the intensely productive period they worked together in the 1980s on the track 'My First Love'. Keen–eared listeners might recognize the beautiful celestial tone on the track: "I used the same Suzuki Omnichord on 'My First Love' as we used on 'Deep Blue Day' – the track from "Apollo..."which was used in "Trainspotting" during the infamous toilet bowl scene..." Talking about what he learned from Eno he says: "Above any particular technique, I learned to be devoted to a direction. And I made a pact to myself after working with him that I would never do anything musically that I didn't want to do again – which was a real turning point for me." This spirit of artistic restlessness is something that he still feels fully today, some thirty years later. He has already prepared songs from Flesh And Machine to be performed live by a trio including himself, where both the playing of instruments and the sampling, dubbing and processing will happen in real time on stage: Our crescendos and our risings very much belong to the night, never to be played the same way again." Daniel Lanois is still raising that spirit of music and still opening up doors to the unknown.
  8. Daniel Lanois is playing 5/5/20 in Sacramento, 5/7 at the Alladin in Portland, 5/8 The Neptune in Seattle and then Great American Music Hall in SF on Monday May 11th, $25.00. If you can, get in for these
  9. 84 was the last NYE they broadcasted on NPR. Used to love getting done with celebrations and then heading over to my deadhead friend's apt for the 1:30am start here in the midwest
  10. I'm tall; however, I'm super conscientious about who is around me and make sure I'm not obstructing someone's experience. If standing it's easy to slip into another space to open up for those behind me.
  11. Gotta be the prettiest Stella Blue., all space is great. Thanks PG!
  12. I think everyone here is smart, and maybe the women are more so
  13. Cold rain dang Jack's uncle met mexicali Jimmy for a deal that blew away like rain
  14. ELH Atlanta 10.10.19 8pm Easy From Now On One Of These Days Millworker O Evangeline Green Pastures Get Up John Red Dirt Girl Emmitt Till Home Sweet Home! Oh Las Vegas Kern River If I Needed You Pancho and Lefty Michelangelo Going Back To Harlan Together Again Tulsa Queen Wheels Born To Run Old Five and Dimers Long May You Run! Encore: Boulder to Birmingham 10pm
  15. Emmylou Sunday Atlanta Symphony Hall. Del McCoury Band 11/22/19 Dayton Art Institute. Billy 11/23/19 Madison Theater Covington. Born Cross Eyed 12/7/19 Cosmic Charlies, Lexington. Emmylou is my true love. String's tickets are getting real hard to come by: Lexington and Louisville in February sold out before I had a chance to look. Thank God for mixlr, it really cranks through the home stereo and it's nice to follow the progression of the tour each night. Cats Cradle, night two, got a Dreadful Wind and the Rain and a China Doll>Midnight Ryder. He's keeping gems in the mix although there are so many new comers arriving each show. Rocky Racoon showed up a few nights ago. Crazy good music being played before the show, between sets and after each show. He trips out with his pedal effects. Very meaningful lyrics in his own material. Have FUN!!!
  16. Enjoy night 2 now that you know what you're getting into🙂⚡👀🔥
  17. Watch "Mary Tyler Moore ~ Grateful Dead Dancing Ep. 2" on YouTube "I can't do it. I'm just a housewife"
  18. You got a great show, sorry I missed this one. Cats has one of my favorite Melvin parts, along with prudence. Both have tremendous keys. Funny , I didn't go, but woke up this morning feeling a need to play guitar and the first song that showed up for me was tangled up and I hadn't been playing it for a while now. Ran through it twice just to get it right before it got shelved again. Mostly playing originals now and wild horses (for some strange reason, maybe because it's easy) thanks for the list duck!
  19. Thank you! Sometimes, maybe, warm up bands should play after for those that want to keep going. When they open it can make for a long night standing on the concrete dance floor
  20. Live Dead '69 is at Bogart's Saturday night here in cincy. Dud you see them yet duck?
  21. You got a great show Duck! I'm glad they moved CC. I'll probably head down for the next one BCE Date 2019-03-09 Venue Cosmic Charlies, Lexington, KY Set One Cosmic Charlie, Jack Straw, Greatest Story Ever Told, Little Red Rooster, Ship Of Fools, Operator, Memphis Blues, Rubin and Cherise, Cassidy, Cumberland Blues, Tore Up Set Two Scarlet Begonias>, Fire On The Mountain, Viola Lee Blues, Truckin'>Other One, Drums> Space>, To Lay Me Down, Around and Around, One More Saturday Night, Box of Rain Encore It’s All Over Now Baby Blue, We Bid You Goodnight Notes Dino English and Brad Slutskin played. First show at the Cosmic Charlies at 105 W Loudon Ave.
  22. Any highlights from the setlist?
  23. I want to live in a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  24. First dew in 18 months according to one of the reviews. Wonder if dso would ever try that mix of verses in a recreation. Whole set rips, thanks for the lead
×
×
  • Create New...