Princeton

just a dream

Guest deadheadmike
yeah, guy in about 5th row.....

never seen the band smile so much.... what a show!!!!!!

to borrow a phrase from a friend of mine....

:dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks:

last song .......on the road again, they certainly are.....

:wub:

I've heard from several reliable sources that this band rocks. I look forward to seeing them.

They really do , Chuck ... Jeff is a JAM MASTER ... your gonna have fun when you see them !!!

Guest crazy digits
Any Red Rocks is a treat especially those wild 78 shows! Now how about getting back to the heart of the matter with a blazing 1985 Chula Vista!

I did that whole tour and that Chula Vista show was a melt down in more than one way :blink:

Guest Ammagamalin Crew
I did that whole tour and that Chula Vista show was a melt down in more than one way :blink:

1985 was a dangerous time to see the dead, it kind of meant giving over any free time you previously had to seeing them whenever possible, there were so many hooks that year. By 1986 I was doing every show up until that freaking DC parking lot on 7/7/86 when the cops (with their mushroom windowed van full of narcs) were arresting everyone. Then the big cancelation of Ventura, ugh! and then the fall of praying for Jerry to pull through. Then back to the Stone for his return shows!

Guest crazy digits
1985 was a dangerous time to see the dead, it kind of meant giving over any free time you previously had to seeing them whenever possible, there were so many hooks that year. By 1986 I was doing every show up until that freaking DC parking lot on 7/7/86 when the cops (with their mushroom windowed van full of narcs) were arresting everyone. Then the big cancelation of Ventura, ugh! and then the fall of praying for Jerry to pull through. Then back to the Stone for his return shows!

yeah, i did 45 of them in 85'..it was fun :-) several of my buddies were thrown in the patty wagon at the dc shows...hottest day i ever saw the dead, in more ways than one.

I was on the bus in 85-86 as well. Tampa, Atlanta (Fox of course-one of the best venues ever), Columbia and of course Richmond were some of the best run of shows I saw. A cousin of mine worked for the Fox (I lived in Atl at the time) and she got my buddy and I backstage passes. I did not see any band members but did have some food and a beer with some of the wives, girlfriends, roadies, etc. I am not sure what I would have said if I would have seen Jerry-probably would have been tongue tied for sure. What a run that was.

From the 86 summer tour I will never forget the Buffalo show-during Cold Rain a cool breeze just started blowing in and cooled us off-it was so damn hot on that summer tour but not at Rich Stadium at that particular moment. It was great. DC was just nasty weather wise-despite Jerry obviously not doing so well I seem to recall those shows being pretty damn good. Slept for days after that summer tour-totally worth it.

Guest prideofcucamunga

FYI: thin-skinned might not wanna read this...

Hearing that Eyes of the World takes me back to seeing DSO in Redwood City around the year 2000.

I can remember emailing back and forth to Scott Larned regarding Kadlecik and how the guy should be taking lessons from Jeff Mattsen, because of Kadlecik's un-economical left hand chord formations, and his attempt to sing like Garcia's crackly voice rather than his own.

Its such a pleasure to see Mattsen up there with Barraco (both from the Volunteers in Long Island, NY in the 1980's), the guy has got so much more fire and precise control over the energy building solos, and i love hearing him sing in his own natural voice. Just watch Eaton groove on Mattsen's playing in complete delight, and how Rosen is focused on Mattsen's story-telling lines, with Barraco's beautiful grand piano harmonically dancing around Mattsen's lead, now this is a band that Scott would be proud of!

Makes me thing that Kadlecik might have a difficult time applying for a job with DSO after Weir & Lesh move onto another project...

• Forum MVP

), the guy has got so much more fire and precise control over the energy building solos, and i love hearing him sing in his own natural voice. Just watch Eaton groove on Mattsen's playing in complete delight, and how Rosen is focused on Mattsen's story-telling lines, with Barraco's beautiful grand piano harmonically dancing around Mattsen's lead,

I loved what you said about the energy building solos ,that was just freakin amazing ,how they just kept on going on & on !!!

FYI: thin-skinned might not wanna read this...

Hearing that Eyes of the World takes me back to seeing DSO in Redwood City around the year 2000.

I can remember emailing back and forth to Scott Larned regarding Kadlecik and how the guy should be taking lessons from Jeff Mattsen, because of Kadlecik's un-economical left hand chord formations, and his attempt to sing like Garcia's crackly voice rather than his own.

Its such a pleasure to see Mattsen up there with Barraco (both from the Volunteers in Long Island, NY in the 1980's), the guy has got so much more fire and precise control over the energy building solos, and i love hearing him sing in his own natural voice. Just watch Eaton groove on Mattsen's playing in complete delight, and how Rosen is focused on Mattsen's story-telling lines, with Barraco's beautiful grand piano harmonically dancing around Mattsen's lead, now this is a band that Scott would be proud of!

Makes me thing that Kadlecik might have a difficult time applying for a job with DSO after Weir & Lesh move onto another project...

Maybe Mattson was singing in his Warren voice? :blink:

Hey everyone, I just posted my McCarter Theatre recording at the Archive for your listening pleasure:

http://www.archive.org/details/dso2009-11-16.mstc.flac16

Enjoy! :)

Keith

Thanks for sharing your recording Keith.....great job brother it sounds fantastic! Damn - sure sounds like DSO wanted to flex their muscle on this night.......these guys really suck......

NOT

Guest kgreener

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you all are enjoying this recording of a great performance. I still get goosebumps as I listen to this wonderful evening of beautiful music, and I'm more than happy to share it all with you again.

peace!

Keith

Archived