Lowell, Ma

uncle john

I want to mention the encore which I forgot to mention earlier today. Jeff was raising his arms high above his head as he was singing the prophetic lyrics. He was like a gospel preacher from Mars. It was by far the most powerful We Bid You Goodnight I have ever seen. Very cool. Home at last couldn't make the Donna Jean gig tonight too tired. See you all Wednesday have fun Tuesday.bbbbb

• Forum MVP
The jam in the second set before the Dew may not be Uncle John's Jam. It could be "Feelin Groovy" Torin are you out there.
According to the New Testament, it can be called either--I think most people think the first Feeling Groovy jam was birthed on 9/26/69 but what may not be quite known is when people started calling it this. I've heard a lot of funny names for this one as well as the Tighten Up jam that arose (out of ashes) from around the same time.

jordan, deadbase does not call Feelin'Groovy jam as Uncle John's Band Jam..rather deadbase does not include Feelin'Groovy as an "official" jam, the two are not the same by any means and if people call UJBJam "Feelin' Groovy Jam" then they are simply incorrect // 10.2.72 has a "UJB Jam" according to deadbase because if you listen closely you'll hear it and ironically you'll hear it after they noodle with Feelin'Groovy right before it

david, 9/26? deadbase holds that the on the 27th they did a UJB Jam after MAMU, why they call this "UJB Jam" i have no idea because all it is is tuning, 11.8.69 (Dick's 16) on the other hand has a true UJB Jam splitting a D.Star ...

kris, wish i was there to help you out but i know that with some "jams" Dso does their own thing because they do not "recreate note-for-note" (as John did not include CloseEncounters jam when recreating 1.22.78 Eugene up at UmassAmherst, rather he noodled around and did his own thing)

..here is the first time the dead featured FeelinGroovy out of CCS before Rider http://www.archive.org/details/gd73-03-16....9141.sbeok.shnf ...Feelin'Groovy is also featured in some Dark Star's (i.e. 2.13.70)

Erik, its 9 rather than 8 TIF's in 72

• Forum MVP

kris, wish i was there to help you out but i know that with some "jams" Dso does their own thing because they do not "recreate note-for-note" (as John did not include CloseEncounters jam when recreating 1.22.78 Eugene up at UmassAmherst, rather he noodled around and did his own thing)

torin,I do remember the close encounters night (one of my top 10) ,there were some pieces in it Torin ,just not as much as what the dead did. The spanish jam friday night was a make no mistake this is a deeep spanish jam . I just didn't think the other jam which I've heard dso do a few times was called ujbjam .espically since uncle johns band was an encore. p.s. happy thanksgiving

• Forum MVP
jordan, deadbase does not call Feelin'Groovy jam as Uncle John's Band Jam..

deadbase.com does...

10-02-72 Springfield Civic Center Arena, Springfield, Ma. (Mon)1: Cold Rain, Mexicali, Tennessee Jed, BIODTL, Bird Song, B. T. Wind, Big RxR Blues, El Paso, B. E. Women, Cumberland, Jack Straw, Don't Ease, Playin, Casey Jones2: Promised, He's Gone> Bobby McGee, China Cat> I Know You Rider, Tomorrow Is Forever, Greatest, Half Step> Stella Blue, Truckin> Nobody's Jam> Drums> Jam> Morning Dew, Sugar Magnolia E: Uncle John> Johnny B. Goodelast "Nobody's Jam": 06-13-70 [211] - final/last "Uncle John's Jam": 11-17-71 [72]

Rereading the DSO homepage, I am struck by this bold statement in the explanation of John's departure:

"Dark Star Orchestra will continue to bring you this music at its highest level."

No Furthur ;) proof is needed than last night's show! The whole week has been very very strong, but last night every member of this awesome band was firing on all cylinders - when has Lisa been better? Kevin bombed us hour after hour, the Robs intertwining in writhing rhythmic rapture, and Jeff soaring above it all, singing and playing up a shitstorm beyond description. Jerry channeled, no question.

Those of us lucky enough to have enjoyed 1972 in real time can tell you, DSO nails it to the wall.

unbeleivable show - 14 songs in the first set following the jerry > bobby > jerry . bobby format- great 2nd set

good venue

great crowd - can't beleive that some were leaving 1/2 thru the 2nd set......

• Forum MVP
Just got woken up by the phone in my hotel room, someone called the wrong room number. Stephen said she had a very sex voice so he's not too upset, me on the other hand is not too upset either how can I be upset after last night. We need to get on the road again if were going to see Donna in Whippany tonight.

The show was no joke NY/LA Steve no fucking joke. I was so tired but managed to dance the best I could in a crowded space. First set was long I mean long, but not too long. There were so many cowboy tunes that Stephen thought the show was fall of 72 somewhere in Texas or Mexico. The rest of the show was l'fabulouso. The Half Step must have been a brand new tune the bridge across the Rio Grand was non-existant just a dream in Jerry's head. Quiet space in Stella was as beautiiful as it gets. Some woman talking during Dew had Stephen's panties in a bunch. He said loudly, " You have to be having a conversation during the best part of the song."

The jam in the second set before the Dew may not be Uncle John's Jam. It could be "Feelin Groovy" , (Fifty Second Street Bridge) done during that infamous DSO show in Baltimore and up the road a few years back on the Cape, incidently both elective shows. This may be incorrect information, please correct Stephen if he is wrong. Torin are you out there.

The sound system, The Meyers Monster, needs a standing ovation. Thank you DSO and the gang from Meyersland for lugging that around it really makes it difficult to put my head down on the pillow afterwards. BUUUZZZZZ. Once again my sincere gratitude to Cotter, he is doing an absolute awesome job.

You know something else that kept me smiling was all the songs Kevin sang on last night. You don't usually get that.

To all of the wonderful friends that are in our loop see you down the road, will be there and I can't wait to see you all. Nice meeting Scarlet Fire last night, we wish we could have met the other New England pranksters that were out and about shaking their bones.

Love and Peace and Happy Holidays

Kris

That Stephen, loves to get his panties in a bunch...

• Forum MVP
jordan, deadbase does not call Feelin'Groovy jam as Uncle John's Band Jam..rather deadbase does not include Feelin'Groovy as an "official" jam, the two are not the same by any means and if people call UJBJam "Feelin' Groovy Jam" then they are simply incorrect // 10.2.72 has a "UJB Jam" according to deadbase because if you listen closely you'll hear it and ironically you'll hear it after they noodle with Feelin'Groovy right before it

david, 9/26? deadbase holds that the on the 27th they did a UJB Jam after MAMU, why they call this "UJB Jam" i have no idea because all it is is tuning, 11.8.69 (Dick's 16) on the other hand has a true UJB Jam splitting a D.Star ...

I'm with ya on this and that's why the old testament strictly separated the two but I have heard jams where it's in the middle of a feeling groovy jam and a UJB jam (before UJG was ever born) where Garcia is doing one and TC is doing the other (TC with the Feeling Groovy), and seen silly and even heated arguments about it...and that's why the new Testament takes a more lenient stance. I'm glad you're more of an old testament guy though--at least on this.

9/26/69 D star has a 'feeling groovy jam' in it and if I remember correctly it's the first one found (not by me). But you might not be able find that on the computer (NO!!!) or in deadbase--you might have to do it the old fashioned way and listen to it (not a great sounding tape btw). I forget when the second one is but it's around a month later and then there were some in November of that year.

Tons of people (GD authors even) firmly believe the 'feeling groovy jam' is the jam in the middle of '73 and '74 China Riders but, to me, those jams are not Feeling Groovy jams at all, even though they may sound similar. Those jams to me are UJB jams. Although I don't get into arguments about it.

The feeling groovy jam in maybe its greatest glory can be found on the uber famous D star of 2/13/70.

• Forum MVP

Dave,thats how it sounded saturday night ,like the piece that is wedged in the middle of the china -riders from that 73-74 time period ,I myself just always thought that was the feeling groovy jam .my mistake .but what a great discussion becouse there are some very informed people on the boards when it comes to this sound that we love so much.

• Forum MVP
Dave,thats how it sounded saturday night ,like the piece that is wedged in the middle of the china -riders from that 73-74 time period ,I myself just always thought that was the feeling groovy jam .my mistake .but what a great discussion becouse there are some very informed people on the boards when it comes to this sound that we love so much.

It's not your mistake and I agree that it is a great discussion.

If Garcia was told about this he might have laughed at the notion that some people thought this jam was UJB-like in nature. He might have said it's nothing like that. It is in a different key but it just has that feel to it and that's why I think some people have thought of this jam that way. I think most people probably would agree that this jam--which debuted in the spring of 73 and lived until the October 74 Winterland--reached its celestial zenith at Winterland on 2/24/74.

Archived