Lowell, Ma

uncle john

My Brother is at the show, but unfortunately I am not. Home with the kids. Although this is unconfirmed, based on the songs he's texted me, it appears they are performing:

10/02/72 (Mon) Springfield Civic Center - Springfield, MA

Set 1: Cold Rain & Snow, Mexicali Blues, Tennessee Jed, Beat It On Down The Line, Bird Song, Black Throated Wind, Big Railroad Blues, El Paso, Brown Eyed Women, Cumberland Blues, Jack Straw, Don't Ease Me In, Playing In The Band, Casey Jones

Set 2: Promised Land, He's Gone > Me And Bobby McGee, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Tomorrow Is Forever, Greatest Story Ever Told, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Stella Blue, Truckin' > Nobody's Fault But Mine > Drums > Uncle John's Band Jam > Morning Dew, Sugar Magnolia, E:Uncle John's Band, E: Johnny B. Goode

This looks to be a doozy. God bless 1972! Hopefully we can get some reaction from some of the showgoers later.

My Brother is at the show, but unfortunately I am not. Home with the kids. Although this is unconfirmed, based on the songs he's texted me, it appears they are performing:

10/02/72 (Mon) Springfield Civic Center - Springfield, MA

Set 1: Cold Rain & Snow, Mexicali Blues, Tennessee Jed, Beat It On Down The Line, Bird Song, Black Throated Wind, Big Railroad Blues, El Paso, Brown Eyed Women, Cumberland Blues, Jack Straw, Don't Ease Me In, Playing In The Band, Casey Jones

Set 2: Promised Land, He's Gone > Me And Bobby McGee, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Tomorrow Is Forever, Greatest Story Ever Told, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Stella Blue, Truckin' > Nobody's Fault But Mine > Drums > Uncle John's Band Jam > Morning Dew, Sugar Magnolia, E:Uncle John's Band, E: Johnny B. Goode

This looks to be a doozy. God bless 1972! Hopefully we can get some reaction from some of the showgoers later.

awesome!! wow, what a monster setlist!! bless '72 indeed; sure wish i was there tonight.....and i hear Mattson has been ripping it most excellently. stoked to hear what ppl have to say about this one when it's done.

i've also always loved that GD actually covered a Dolly Parton tune - and that's a rare one, too, as GD only did TIF 8 times (all in 72 except for the final one, during the 74 "farewell" shows at Winterland)

....I placed these links in the general discussion thread on whether Jeff Mattson "can hang" too (and my answer to that is yes, most definitely), but since he is being widely discussed all over right now, i figured i'd put these links here as well, for anyone interested. These are the 3 shows he played at the Warfield with Phil and Friends in '99 (along with Kimock etc); all great shows worth hearing:

http://www.archive.org/details/1999-10-07....052.sbeok.flacf

http://www.archive.org/details/1999-10-08....863.sbeok.flacf

http://www.archive.org/details/1999-10-09....599.sbeok.flacf

peace.

wow, these guys are not fucking around....

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Stella Blue, Truckin' > Nobody's Fault But Mine > Drums > Uncle John's Band Jam > Morning Dew, Sugar Magnolia

I see what you mean! This alone is serious business. Can't fathom what that sounded like.

That set list is humongous, must take a good 3 and half hours to get through all that. Can't wait to hear what people have to say....

good guess - the original GD show on 10/2/72 was just about 3.5 hours of music - and that was with 6 songs that were each done in under 5 minutes! (7 if you include the NFBM jam)

man, i sure hope someone who was at this show posts a review soon!

Just returned from the show-just great! Jeff-what a Dew! Birdsong, playin, casey jones highlights of the first set. 2nd set China>RIder-nothing is much better than a 72-73 CRider. They fucking smoked it. TIF was very sweet for sure-Lisa sounded perfect! Jeff too.

Encore was actually We Bid you Goodnight-they had a 12am curfew. Rob K did announce the real encore but they did not have time to play it.

Just a wonderful, long ass show. I am sure they are wiped out but the energy was electric. More great things to come in Syracuse, PA and on and on. See you in Lebanon! Great hearing Donna too-she did not play at all with the band-too bad....

good guess - the original GD show on 10/2/72 was just about 3.5 hours of music - and that was with 6 songs that were each done in under 5 minutes! (7 if you include the NFBM jam)

man, i sure hope someone who was at this show posts a review soon!

tonite's show was transcendental. It was so long that the curfew came before the two! encores, so dso gave us a quick bid you goodnight instead. The rider and the dew were incomparable. Jerry spoke to us thru jeff tonite - a stella for the ages. Kevin's bass was mixed perfectly, bombs aplenty. Two nights in a roe of absolute awesome setlists, fiery band energy and cosmic playing by mattson. Thank you thank you dso. Twenty-nine songs. Damn. Uncle John jam and nobody's fault but mine. Oh my. 72!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am lucky enough to do a few shows in my day. I have to say tonight was the BEST show I have seen these guys do...it all came together, sound and energy was off the chart....Jeff was amazing...WOW ...get and catch it in Feb....

Ditto. I don't know what was going on last night but whatever it was, it was different. That was one for the ages.

Just got woken up by the phone in my hotel room, someone called the wrong room number. Stephen said she had a very sex voice so he's not too upset, me on the other hand is not too upset either how can I be upset after last night. We need to get on the road again if were going to see Donna in Whippany tonight.

The show was no joke NY/LA Steve no fucking joke. I was so tired but managed to dance the best I could in a crowded space. First set was long I mean long, but not too long. There were so many cowboy tunes that Stephen thought the show was fall of 72 somewhere in Texas or Mexico. The rest of the show was l'fabulouso. The Half Step must have been a brand new tune the bridge across the Rio Grand was non-existant just a dream in Jerry's head. Quiet space in Stella was as beautiiful as it gets. Some woman talking during Dew had Stephen's panties in a bunch. He said loudly, " You have to be having a conversation during the best part of the song."

The jam in the second set before the Dew may not be Uncle John's Jam. It could be "Feelin Groovy" , (Fifty Second Street Bridge) done during that infamous DSO show in Baltimore and up the road a few years back on the Cape, incidently both elective shows. This may be incorrect information, please correct Stephen if he is wrong. Torin are you out there.

The sound system, The Meyers Monster, needs a standing ovation. Thank you DSO and the gang from Meyersland for lugging that around it really makes it difficult to put my head down on the pillow afterwards. BUUUZZZZZ. Once again my sincere gratitude to Cotter, he is doing an absolute awesome job.

You know something else that kept me smiling was all the songs Kevin sang on last night. You don't usually get that.

To all of the wonderful friends that are in our loop see you down the road, will be there and I can't wait to see you all. Nice meeting Scarlet Fire last night, we wish we could have met the other New England pranksters that were out and about shaking their bones.

Love and Peace and Happy Holidays

Kris

I am still so juiced from the incredible show last night. I did forget to say what a pleasure is was meeting Kris and Stephen. See you at another show soon I am sure. FranknKeene-sorry I missed seeing you but next time somewhere in NE we will connect.

THANK YOU DSO-get some rest and enjoy the Phish show tonight. You deserve to watch someone else play for at least one night!!

Wayne

I'm trying to come up with something eloquent and profound to capture the joy and thrill of last night's show.

I'm at a loss right now, so I'll just say:

FANTASTIC AND AMAZING

What a great show!

I've always loved DSO; now, I'm totally loving DSO with JEFF MATSON (DSO 2.0)

Peace and safe travels to the band and crew.

Come back soon!!!

Ditto. I don't know what was going on last night but whatever it was, it was different. That was one for the ages.

Rereading the DSO homepage, I am struck by this bold statement in the explanation of John's departure:

"Dark Star Orchestra will continue to bring you this music at its highest level."

No Furthur ;) proof is needed than last night's show! The whole week has been very very strong, but last night every member of this awesome band was firing on all cylinders - when has Lisa been better? Kevin bombed us hour after hour, the Robs intertwining in writhing rhythmic rapture, and Jeff soaring above it all, singing and playing up a shitstorm beyond description. Jerry channeled, no question.

Those of us lucky enough to have enjoyed 1972 in real time can tell you, DSO nails it to the wall.

• Forum MVP

im listening to the original show.. sounds like feelin groovy to me.. albeit, a relatively early version.. it became a really strong jam by 74..

but there are multiple conflicting titles for this jam.. deadbase calls it uncle john's jam, but the Grateful Dead Movie and tapers refer to it as feelin groovy jam

• Forum MVP
im listening to the original show.. sounds like feelin groovy to me.. albeit, a relatively early version.. it became a really strong jam by 74..

but there are multiple conflicting titles for this jam.. deadbase calls it uncle john's jam, but the Grateful Dead Movie and tapers refer to it as feelin groovy jam

According to the New Testament, it can be called either--I think most people think the first Feeling Groovy jam was birthed on 9/26/69 but what may not be quite known is when people started calling it this. I've heard a lot of funny names for this one as well as the Tighten Up jam that arose (out of ashes) from around the same time.

4:30 pm eastern time and I just woke up. Had major challenges getting to the show last night and missed Cold Rain. Daughter's fever rolled up to 102 and Amy stayed home. I miracled the ticket to some kind person selling crystals (one of which was a granite sided cystal from New Hampshire). As I was heading into the theatre from the lobby, I thought to myself that Donna's band had turned up the heat from the previous night and then realized it was DSO already on. During most of the 1st set I felt the band was anticlimactical from the previous night, but I was completely untuned from the experience of arriving and besides, the 1500 people in the crowd obviously did not agree with me. Things started to change for my state during Don't Ease, Cumberland, and a very rocking Casey Jones to close out the first set.

Mind- great seeing you at set break and Scarletfire- I shyly asked two groups of people if they particapted on the boards and if they were you. In both cases the folks were so nice that I got into relatively long conversations with them.

After the closing of the first set and conversations with so many kind folks, I was more expansive, much less contracted and very happy to now be in-tune. Stella and Dew in the same set melted me into a pool of tears. During the last quiet part of Dew just before the final cresendo, everyone was turning their backs from the stage. I turned and saw a guy travesing the molding around the balcony. At first I thought there might be a little ledge that outlined the circular balcony (perhaps a few inches for some footing), but after the show I took a closer look and it was no more then 1/2 inch of molding. He traversed half the length of the balcony and then jumped back into the seats upstairs.

Also, did anyone else notice a little doll these past two nights? In Northampton it was sitting on the top of the stack of speakers to the left of the stage (looking toward the stage). In Lowell it was actually in front of the drums. I don't have the greatest eye sight, but last night it looked like Waldo.

Great weekend! Palms together in gratitude. :grouphug::dsorocks:

Frank

Archived