Iverson 'retires'.

Guest jazz-man

Guest jazz-man

AI has 'retired'. I have never liked this guy's game nor how he behaves off the court. His game consists of shooting as much as he can even when the shot is ill advised, like dribbling into 3 defenders and still chucking one up. He scores a lot of points because he shoots a lot. I've played with guys like that and it is really frustrating as a player to play with a selfish guy. Off the court he tossed his wife out of his house, when she was naked! Then later went looking for her with a gun on him. His mistress claims he's a "warrior" in bed. Nice for the family and wife to read this in the papers. He's a punk, plain and simple. His whole 'practise' rant is AI in a nutshell. And I highly doubt that he will stay retired, his word means nothing. His nickname is "The Answer". The question is "who will get into the Hall Of Fame and doesn't deserve it?

Sorry this is so negative. The only positive thing I can think of is he's gone and I won't have to hear about him until he gets arrested or his wife divorces him, whichever comes first.

• Forum MVP

Yup, retired, to the sixers. haha! Admittedly this will cause me to actually watch a few games, though i'm sure he wont be the iverson he once was. And by the way, he was a great ball player, led a nothing worthless 76ers ball club to the finals and actually took a game from the lakers. You may not respect him but that doesn't mean he isn't one of the most talented scorers ever. period.

Guest jazz-man

Quite frankly, almost anyone can be a scorer. Admittedly he had good one-on-one moves but he was death to the team concept. And even a team with a superstar (MJ, Kobe, Bird, Magic) needs a team with them. A team that is convinced that the player will do what is best for the team when the game is on the line. I submit that AI was not that kind of player. His style of play is what makes me less and less of an NBA fan. It's playground ball, not much else. From the carrying of the ball each possession to the travelling to the ridiculous shot selection to jacking up 3's at the wrong times (when your team is up by 9 you don't need to take a low percentage shot), to not knowing how to set a decent pick (which is the basic move that starts most plays). The simple making of a freethrow gets you a fist bump from the other players. Wow, made a freethrow, stop the presses. Anyhow, AI might get a contract from the 76ers making his 'retirement' about a week. IMHO this is typical of his lack of character.

Guest jazz-man

Totally understandable, BD. I was a lifelong Celtic fan but when Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce joined and changed the game from 'team' to 'watch me' I stopped cheering for them. I dig anything that Steve Nash does and the local team, the Trailblazers, plays decent team ball so I cheer for them. Their leader, Brandon Roy, is a good player and leader and doesn't play selfishly.

• Forum MVP
Quite frankly, almost anyone can be a scorer. Admittedly he had good one-on-one moves but he was death to the team concept. And even a team with a superstar (MJ, Kobe, Bird, Magic) needs a team with them. A team that is convinced that the player will do what is best for the team when the game is on the line. I submit that AI was not that kind of player. His style of play is what makes me less and less of an NBA fan. It's playground ball, not much else. From the carrying of the ball each possession to the travelling to the ridiculous shot selection to jacking up 3's at the wrong times (when your team is up by 9 you don't need to take a low percentage shot), to not knowing how to set a decent pick (which is the basic move that starts most plays). The simple making of a freethrow gets you a fist bump from the other players. Wow, made a freethrow, stop the presses. Anyhow, AI might get a contract from the 76ers making his 'retirement' about a week. IMHO this is typical of his lack of character.

This is what has made the NBA regular season unwatchable. I follow the Utah Jazz because they are the only team that has consistantly played team ball the last couple of decades. Jerry Sloan is the man as far as coaches go and his teams definately know how to set a pick.

Guest jazz-man

Utah, yes, they play real basketball. I have a lot of respect for Jerry Sloan, he doesn't take much crap from any of his players. Even when the Mailman played there everyone knew who the boss was. And played the way he dictated.

Archived