Rochester

Robin

9-29-89 6iller sisters and brothers...

Think I have the date right, death don't' have no mercy.....

Thanks, Steve, then it was...

Shoreline Ampitheatre 9/29/1989

I was at that show!!! Death Don't Have No Mercy was an awesome surprise!

Setlist

Let the Good Times Roll

Feel Like a Stranger

Franklin's Tower

Wang Dang Doodle

Jack-a-Roe

We Can Run But We Can't Hide

Stuck Inside of Mobile

Bird Song

Promised Land

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Blow Away

Playin' in the Band

Terrapin Station

drums

I Need a Miracle

Death Don't Have No Mercy

Sugar Magnolia

Quinn the Eskimo

Must've been HOT (inside)!!!

• Forum MVP

Shoreline Ampitheatre (9/29/89) *1st night of a 3-night GD run...

Set 1:

Let the Good Times Roll

Feel Like a Stranger

Franklin's Tower

Wang Dang Doodle

Jack-a-Roe

Stuck Inside of Mobile

Bird Song

Promised Land

Set 2:

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Blow Away

Playin' in the Band

Terrapin Station

drums

I Need a Miracle

Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Quinn the Eskimo

Filler w/ Lisa: Brothers and Sisters

Excellent show! Great vibe in the theater - packed but not too overly crowded. A good time was had by all! Thank you DSO so much for a Grate '89 show! That me just say too, that Rob Baracco was on fire! Awesome piano on Franklin's, sweet organ on Wang Dang, Grate piano on Jack-A-Roe. Very sweet sounding Bird Song all the way around! JK was in top form too - Death Don't Have No Mercy was outstanding! Rob Eaton on top of his game as always too! Dino had a Dinosaur Bar-B-Que shirt on from the local bar-b-q hotspot! Very cool! Some killer K-Bombs from Kevin on I know You Rider! Nice to finally meet (Chris) Fritz; cnjbrian; (Jordan) jfolks; (Lauren) China Cat; New York Steve, and good to see Chuck Vegas again as always! ...and the rest of you I may have left out. See you all tomorrow night! Truckin' off to Buffalo!

:dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks: Herdy where were ya? ...I heard you overslept?!!! Damn.

Robin, you must have gotten your reply in a split second before mine. both posts were at 1:58 am! never seen that happen. i must have hit my send key too slow.

That's "cosmic!" :) Happy trails to Buffalo. I wish I were there with all of you...

Shoreline Ampitheatre (9/29/89) *1st night of a 3-night GD run...

Set 1:

Let the Good Times Roll

Feel Like a Stranger

Franklin's Tower

Wang Dang Doodle

Jack-a-Roe

Stuck Inside of Mobile

Bird Song

Promised Land

Set 2:

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Blow Away

Playin' in the Band

Terrapin Station

drums

I Need a Miracle

Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Quinn the Eskimo

Filler w/ Lisa: Brothers and Sisters

Excellent show! Great vibe in the theater - packed but not too overly crowded. A good time was had by all! Thank you DSO so much for a Grate '89 show! That me just say too, that Rob Baracco was on fire! Awesome piano on Franklin's, sweet organ on Wang Dang, Grate piano on Jack-A-Roe. Very sweet sounding Bird Song all the way around! JK was in top form too - Death Don't Have No Mercy was outstanding! Rob Eaton on top of his game as always too! Dino had a Dinosaur Bar-B-Que shirt on from the local bar-b-q hotspot! Very cool! Some killer K-Bombs from Kevin on I know You Rider! Nice to finally meet (Chris) Fritz; cnjbrian; (Jordan) jfolks; (Lauren) China Cat; New York Steve, and good to see Chuck Vegas again as always! ...and the rest of you I may have left out. See you all tomorrow night! Truckin' off to Buffalo!

:dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks: Herdy where were ya? ...I heard you overslept?!!! Damn.

Bernie, any tapers? I can't wait for tonight. See ya at the Ballroom.

Guest Lisacat

its so funny how things work out sometimes. I had absolutely no intentions on going to this show. I had to work- didn't want to leave work early since I was out for Burlington and was just going to drive to Buffalo. Then....I get the phone call that Herdy overslept and missed his ride so wanted to ride with me. We decided that we'd just truck our asses up to Rochester in the hopes that we'd catch the end of the show. and MAN am I happy I did. I would have been absolutely suicidal if I had missed this one. My very favorite 80's show that I've been wanting to hear for so long now. And the one song I was secretly hoping to hear before JK's departure- Death don't have no mercy. Unbelievable. And it was beautifully played. I am so very grateful for DSO and my friends who made my night so special

On a different note. There is one person on this board who feels the need to harrass me at shows and you sure as hell know who you are. There was TONS of space all around and you felt the need to get right on my ass as I am trying to dance to one of my most sacred songs. You know I don't want you there so why do you INSIST on getting in my face and way? PLEASE leave me alone.

• Devoted

Shoreline Ampitheatre 9/29/1989

Setlist

Let the Good Times Roll

Feel Like a Stranger

Franklin's Tower

Wang Dang Doodle

Jack-a-Roe

Memphis Blues Again

Bird Song

Promised Land

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Blow Away

Playin' in the Band

Terrapin Station

drums/space

I Need a Miracle

Sugar Magnolia

Quinn the Eskimo

Filler: Sisters and Brothers

I'm not a poet, I let my lead do the talking.

But last nights' concert was hotter than my 44 after target practice.

I was proud to see Deputy Stone keeping the peace in front of the stage.

The Blow Away reminded me of my mamas PUNK Porridge, served up hot, tasty and leaving me hungry for a second bowl.

The "Death Don't Have No Mercy" made me want to pin a big pointy Deputy Star on JK's chest while he was singing.

If I had known about Lisacats little run in with an offender I would have shared some wisdom that you don't learn in the school.

Harry Callahan

SFPD

Really extraordinary musicianship! One of those nights, for me, when the depth and soaring of the music opened up possibilities previously uncharted. Memphis Blues, Birdsong, a huge Playing in the Band, a shattering Death Don't Have No Mercy, and a fun The Mighty Quinn stood out for me. Great crowd, with the usual suspects scattered toward the front. Thanks so much everyone!

• Forum MVP

It was so great to come out here and get a show where the band was on from the first lick to the last thump. John did some special things tonight--It started with the jam in Stranger; the Franklins was the song where everyone knew the band was going to be on and everyone understood they had to fasten their seat belts if they were to survive; the Wang Dang was filled with a solo where the notes were so large and so fat and BOUNCING off the walls; the Jack a Roe was incredible, as if often is in shows like these and the Birdsong>Promised was stellar. The second set made the fist set look like a warm up, which is just not right. Everything was played with so much heart, so much passion and John was incredible. His work on the Blow Away was just ridiculous--it was flat out ridiculous. Barraco's playing and singing on We Can Run and Blow away was pretty freaking impressive to boot--if anyone was not moved by it, I think they are not going to be moved by much in this life. The transition from Playin into an wonderful Terrapin--that transition was one of the most beautiful things I've heard. in a long time. Rob and John were stepping on the Miracle so hard it was funny--the Miracle!--and then the Death was just pure insanity. The solo in 89 was maybe the last truly great solo and he did is so much justice--I swear towards the end of it I saw bits of the building come falling down.

I don't know how they are going to continue with that kind of energy tonight but I know we are all extremely excited to see them try.

• Forum MVP
It was so great to come out here and get a show where the band was on from the first lick to the last thump. John did some special things tonight--It started with the jam in Stranger; the Franklins was the song where everyone knew the band was going to be on and everyone understood they had to fasten their seat belts if they were to survive; the Wang Dang was filled with a solo where the notes were so large and so fat and BOUNCING off the walls; the Jack a Roe was incredible, as if often is in shows like these and the Birdsong>Promised was stellar. The second set made the fist set look like a warm up, which is just not right. Everything was played with so much heart, so much passion and John was incredible. His work on the Blow Away was just ridiculous--it was flat out ridiculous. Barraco's playing and singing on We Can Run and Blow away was pretty freaking impressive to boot--if anyone was not moved by it, I think they are not going to be moved by much in this life. The transition from Playin into an wonderful Terrapin--that transition was one of the most beautiful things I've heard. in a long time. Rob and John were stepping on the Miracle so hard it was funny--the Miracle!--and then the Death was just pure insanity. The solo in 89 was maybe the last truly great solo and he did is so much justice--I swear towards the end of it I saw bits of the building come falling down.

I don't know how they are going to continue with that kind of energy tonight but I know we are all extremely excited to see them try.

Sweet stuff David! Sounds fun.

Dstone

Was thinkin the same thing last night as we were leaving the show......how do they top that tonight in Buffalo?????

Just an absolutely stellar night of music from the best band in the land once again....absolutely smioked from note 1

• Forum MVP

Really good show.. energy was just ridiculous in the 2nd set.. blow away and death dont were the highlights among others.. loved the venue.. decent sound, plenty of dancing room up front, great staff(the bald meathead security guard near us sang along to quinn the eskimo and even danced a little at one point).. also was good to meet some starheads i hadn't met yet, and it was good to see dstone and blindman make it out from sf.. and of course, an absolutely wonderful time with the usual suspects!!

• 2 weeks later...
this was a great recreation of Shoreline '89 show! If you weren't able to attend this one, I highly recommend downloading it from either archive or etree. Thanks DSO for yet another stellar performance!

where's the post show starhead photo people? It was a good one. Here's to a lonesome and a long way from home new year!

• Forum MVP
where's the post show starhead photo people? It was a good one. Here's to a lonesome and a long way from home new year!

15150_1173562064963_1405402665_30419100_5407090_n.jpg

you can tell by the quality that gary WAS NOT present for those shows..weve been spoiled by gary's professional group shots!

Guest deadheadmike
gary WAS NOT present for those shows...

Whats up with Gary and Conny ??? I'm surprised they didn't make it to these shows ... has anyone spoken with them lately ???

Archived