Pt Luv 4 Jk

diggerlit

• Forum MVP
I get annoyed by the Fake Jerry comments on other boards, but I also get annoyed when people here treat DSO like it's the center of the universe, practically forgetting that the real Grateful Dead existed. None of this music would ever have existed if it weren't for the boys and Donna in the Good Ol' Grateful Dead.

In my opinion, when those of us who champion DSO and place it at a higher place in our musical spectrum than Phil and Bobby and there many musical projects, it does not have to be a slight on the original members. In fact, it is only a testament to the high level of music that the boys (GD) produced for 30 or so years (some around here don't really like the last few years of the GD, I won't name names). I don't know why everyone on this forum thinks this is the DSO/Furthur competition. A plus for DSO or a strong message of support from a Starhead does not have to be slight or considered disrespect to Bobby and Phil.

I never saw the GD, but please don't tell me I don't respect, honor, and love their music or any of their members. I'm not gonna list stats, but I have seen Ratdog, several different incarnations of Phil and friends, many Dead shows w Warren and simply put the quality of music they put forth does not compare to the quality of music put forth by DSO on a night in and night out basis. I am leaving the verdict out on Furthur at this point because I believe the shows I saw in CT and NJ were a vast improvement over Oakland and I am supremely confident that Bobby and Phil's lead guitar player can play this music at an incredible level. A level so high that Bobby and Phil have only one option step it up or Johnny is going to be the only one going Furthur and leaving them behind.. Fortunately, I do believe they stepped it up and in terms of my opinion of Phil, they appear ready to teach JK a thing or two also.

Basic Points

The Dark Star Orchestra, in my opinion, out performs any band put together by Phil and Bobby post 1995 on a night in and night out basis - except for possibly this Furthur project down the line.

I still go to see Phil and Bobby several times a year simply out of respect and love for what they did to contribute to the greatest touring musical force the world has ever known. I listen to their recordings (GD recordings religiously). To be honest, no disrespect to DSO, but I don't really listen to DSO recordings (not an absolute) because I prefer the real thing.

A positive for DSO is not a negative for Furthur or Phil and Bobby

A positive for Furthur is not a negative for DSO.

Please, lets stop bitching and harping about what happen. I loved DSO w JK. I am not sure that either band will ever do it for me the way DSO w JK did for the past 2 or 3 years. They were simply so tight and playing at such a high level. Every night was epic. The shows had very few to no low moments and the energy was always high. That being said we have two very very good bands - both with the potential for greatness. Lets give it time and I am sure whether it is the Furthur project or DSO or a little bit of both you choose to see, there will be lots and lots of dancing and lots and lots of fun spent with our brothers and sisters in the GD community.

Bitching is different than poking fun. Some people need to learn to recognize the difference between joking and criticism.

Bring your positive energy to the show and if you don't have positive energy to share, please stay home.

P.S. Don't come to the show if you didn't come to get down and have a good time - your wasting your time and money, let alone my dance space.

Guest Ammagamalin Crew
Now that you mention it, for some serious early Tull there is nothing better than the Stone's Rock and Roll Circus. Worth the watch!

Where can I get these?

• Forum MVP
I'm not referring to anybody in particular, of course... it's more my general reaction to some of the crying and wailing that went on right after JK made his announcement. People were even accusing Phil of hiring JK just to vindictively ruin DSO. :lol:

Yes some have claimed that. I don't happen to think that or agree with that assertion, but I know some people that do. I simply think Phil wanted to play music with someone that can do Jerry guitar work justice.

Still, some of us - myself included - were crushed by this decision. I saw JK and DSO over 100 times and I am not sure the magic I felt at those shows will ever be captured again. That being said, I am not one to fret and have already experienced different magical experiences with the new incarnation of DSO and with JK's new band Furthur.

• Forum MVP

RickE it is always a joy to read your posts and it's even more of a joy to run into and chill with you at a show. I'm sure we will kick it again soon my friend. Till then keep dancin' and take care of yourself and your brothers and sisters.

Peace

Archived