Backup Singers

rowe

Few would argue that Furthur is a band that is challenged vocally. So it was with interest that I checked out some of the New Year's show on the archive complete with back up singers. In listening to things like After Midnight and even Uncle Johns I'm thinking, wow this has potential. So my questions are....did they sing with the band at Mill Valley? Are they a permanant fixture? Who are they and where did they come from?

Thanks for filling me in.

Freezing my ass off in VT and jealous of jam cruisers!

Rowe

They are Zoe Ellis and Sunshine Garcia . I've heard conflicting stories about whether Sunshine is related to Jerry. One version I've heard says she is the daughter of Mountain Girl and Ken Kesey, and was adopted by Jerry. Don't know whether this is true.

They did sing with the band in Mill Valley. As far as I'm concerned, they are a great addtion to the band. This comes from someone who usually frowns on backup singer (and horn sections) in rock bands. I'm usually a "less is more" guy. Too many musicians just make it difficult to concentrate on each individual. However, they are mixed relatively low in the sound, and I think they are really helping the vocals. They do not sing on every song by any means--only when it is appropriate. I have no idea if this is a permanent addtion, but I suspect they are. I hope so.

• Advisory Board

Sunshine Kesey is infact the daughter of Mountain Girl and Ken Kesey...

I was lucky enough one evening to hang out at her house in Eugene, Oregon with a few of our band of traveling donkeys... she's a very nice person, and I'm very grateful to have had the experience to hang and listen to her, along with Ken Babbs, and Mountain Girl..

There was also a big jug of Hawaiian Punch on the table with a few big black X's on the bottle... Needless to say, I was not brave enough to drink the punch... :)

I was lucky enough one evening to hang out at her house in Eugene, Oregon with a few of our band of traveling donkeys... she's a very nice person, and I'm very grateful to have had the experience to hang and listen to her, along with Ken Babbs, and Mountain Girl..

There was also a big jug of Hawaiian Punch on the table with a few big black X's on the bottle... Needless to say, I was not brave enough to drink the punch... :)

THe Backup Singer IS NOT the same Sunshine . The Backup singer's name happens to be Sunshine Garcia Becker (No Relation to Jerry/Mountain Girl/Or Kesey)

Herdy I thought somebody of your "stature" and someone "in the know" would never spread a False Rumour like you are. :lol:

• Forum MVP

This is getting so funny...all the confusion about this woman because of her name. She's had to deal with it for a while, espeically in this circle.

I think there will always be people who just think she's Sunshine Kesey--no matter how long this band plays!

Zoe Ellis is a Bay area singer and sister of former Rat Dog saxophhonist Dave Ellis (who introduced Jeff Chimenti to the band). She has sung with Phil and Friends. Sunshine (Garcia) Becker is her friend and co member of Bay area acapella group SoVoSo. No relation to Jerry.

Archived