Obama Just Lost My Vote

Herdygerdy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in Orlando (the cultural capital of the world :wacko: ) for a few years back in the early 90's. One of the only redeeming things for me there were the shuttle launches. I was able to see an amazing 9 of them! I worked with someone who's dad was literally a rocket scientist and we had a base pass for all of them. I have seen lots of things in the world and I am challenged to find anything more awesome than that. The description of the brightness of the booster and the soundwaves hitting your face are so accurate. (you actually feel the sound more than you hear it). It has to be seen and felt to be believed.

Having said all that. I have no problem with Obama cutting a moon program. All you need to do is look at the majority of public schools in America that can no longer afford music, arts and after school sports programs and extrapolate forward the massive problems this will and is causing for America, and then prioritize. Nothing is more inspiring than the "race to the moon" story from the 60's but the spin off technology that was created from that initiative was much more significant than what would be cultivated now. If there is any real innovation to be gained from space exploration, then let capitalism drive the funding for it. If it is worth the investment, than a private enterprise will no doubt invest in it. If it is not worth the investment, then why put billions of taxpayer money in ahead of all the other programs that need funding and are not going to get it.

Don't even get me started about how over leveraged the American government is. I would love to see a moon landing in the next 5 years but it is not even close to something we can afford. End of story.

• Forum MVP
another reason to love david gans. he wrote books about the dead and the heads. how many deadheads are headsheads?

Probably a pretty decent amount of cross-pollination. I was lucky enough to have been at Martyrs when DSO did "Up All Night" and have always wished TN would tackle "Naive Melody" or maybe "Nothing But Flowers." And we all know some other bands that rock "NM" especially well.

I lived in Orlando (the cultural capital of the world :wacko: ) for a few years back in the early 90's. One of the only redeeming things for me there were the shuttle launches. I was able to see an amazing 9 of them! I worked with someone who's dad was literally a rocket scientist and we had a base pass for all of them. I have seen lots of things in the world and I am challenged to find anything more awesome than that. The description of the brightness of the booster and the soundwaves hitting your face are so accurate. (you actually feel the sound more than you hear it). It has to be seen and felt to be believed.

Having said all that. I have no problem with Obama cutting a moon program. All you need to do is look at the majority of public schools in America that can no longer afford music, arts and after school sports programs and extrapolate forward the massive problems this will and is causing for America, and then prioritize. Nothing is more inspiring than the "race to the moon" story from the 60's but the spin off technology that was created from that initiative was much more significant than what would be cultivated now. If there is any real innovation to be gained from space exploration, then let capitalism drive the funding for it. If it is worth the investment, than a private enterprise will no doubt invest in it. If it is not worth the investment, then why put billions of taxpayer money in ahead of all the other programs that need funding and are not going to get it.

Don't even get me started about how over leveraged the American government is. I would love to see a moon landing in the next 5 years but it is not even close to something we can afford. End of story.

Well said. I heard Obama wants to open NSA's moon project to private investors. I'm good with that. However, the government should also have a role in the project. For example the jobs created by such projects creat a lot of jobs, not only in Florida and Houston, but all over the country.

I thought the stimulus was supposed to pay to rebuild schools and get them retooled. I think the American public was the only thing getting tooled by the stimulus

Here is STS-129

Archived