Obama Just Lost My Vote

Herdygerdy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Really sad. The space program has given so much, technologically and otherwise, for such a relatively small investment. Maybe private enterprise can pick up the slack, but it won't be soon, it won't be on a grand scale with sweeping visions to make the spirit soar, and will it be in peace for all mankind?

Gone are the days.

ENGspace.jpg

Thanks for that link Herdy. This is not good.

I tried to take my son to see a Shuttle launch last summer but it got scrubbed due to weather. We had fun at Kennedy Space Center,

I saw a night Shuttle launch back in the 90's and it was the coolest thing I have ever seen. I was 10 miles away and when they lit up those solid rocket boosters, It was like the sun was out. The sound hit about 20 seconds later and you cvould feel the sound waves on your face. There are only a few more launches left and I am going to try againg in July.

• Advisory Board
YES lets be the black and white hippies that people always criticize us for! Add single issue voters to that! Wait? Isnt there a politics forum.? Sorry, but I think this thread should be moved. Mr. HG just lost my vote! lol..

Uhhh... no there isn't... Lighten up, Francis...

Thanks for that link Herdy. This is not good.

I tried to take my son to see a Shuttle launch last summer but it got scrubbed due to weather. We had fun at Kennedy Space Center,

I saw a night Shuttle launch back in the 90's and it was the coolest thing I have ever seen. I was 10 miles away and when they lit up those solid rocket boosters, It was like the sun was out. The sound hit about 20 seconds later and you cvould feel the sound waves on your face. There are only a few more launches left and I am going to try againg in July.

I've always wanted to go see a shuttle launch... that's so cool how you describe it, makes me want to go see for myself even more!!

I've always wanted to go see a shuttle launch... that's so cool how you describe it, makes me want to go see for myself even more!!

There are only like 5 more. I have seen a lot of stuff in my life, but seeing a Shuttle launch is an amazing sight. I think there is one going uo on Super Bowl Sunday. I alway try to record them.

Me and my son with STS-128 on the pad.

DSCN0931.jpg

• Advisory Board
There are only like 5 more. I have seen a lot of stuff in my life, but seeing a Shuttle launch is an amazing sight. I think there is one going uo on Super Bowl Sunday. I alway try to record them.

Me and my son with STS-129 on the pad.

DSCN0931.jpg

Very cool, John! I'm sure they will extend the shuttle missions as they have no other way besides the Russians to get back and forth to the ISS

• Forum MVP

I hope they extend the shuttle, but I don't know if they will, or can much beyond another year or too. NASA was already banking on the Soyuz for a few years (or more) until the Orion came on line around '14 or so. Now...FUBAR.

• Forum MVP

Having grown up the first time in Huntsville with people like Von Brun living about a block away, I feel sad that our space program is fading out. The mention of watching shuttle launches reminds me of when Crawford and Cathy and I hitch hiked down to the Cape to watch a Saturn 5 launch on it's way to the moon. awsome sight

• Forum MVP

I get that everyone has to "tighten their belts" during this scary and uncertain time.

Programs are going to be cut.

Spending is going to be frozen.

Families are going to be hurt.

People are going to suffer.

But can't we still send some people to the moon?

I mean...come on!

:)

Being a huge science lover, especally space exploration, this article pissed me off...

Obama Axes Moon Missions

As a scientist by profession, I'm afraid I will have to completely disagree with you. If you love science, you should be overjoyed at the demise of the absolutely collosal waste of money that is the manned space programs. Real science is being done with relatively cheap robotic probes. Just look at the Mars rovers as a prime example. The space station expecially was sucking dry the budgets for real science, so that they could send some astronauts (as well as super rich "space tourists) into low earth orbit. Yeah, it makes for some nice images, but it signifys absoltely nothing with scientifically worthwhile. Virtually no science has come from sending people into low earth orbit at a cost of many billiions of dollars. Returning to the moon and then to Mars was just one more stupid idea that George Bush came up with to destroy what was left of NASA's real science programs, which he never mentioned again.

This is worth a read:

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications...rtual-astronaut

• Forum MVP
As a scientist by profession, I'm afraid I will have to completely disagree with you. If you love science, you should be overjoyed at the demise of the absolutely collosal waste of money that is the manned space programs. Real science is being done with relatively cheap robotic probes. Just look at the Mars rovers as a prime example. The space station expecially was sucking dry the budgets for real science, so that they could send some astronauts (as well as super rich "space tourists) into low earth orbit. Yeah, it makes for some nice images, but it signifys absoltely nothing with scientifically worthwhile. Virtually no science has come from sending people into low earth orbit at a cost of many billiions of dollars. Returning to the moon and then to Mars was just one more stupid idea that George Bush came up with to destroy what was left of NASA's real science programs, which he never mentioned again.

here, here brother.......thanks for speakin' up.

• Advisory Board
As a scientist by profession, I'm afraid I will have to completely disagree with you. If you love science, you should be overjoyed at the demise of the absolutely collosal waste of money that is the manned space programs. Real science is being done with relatively cheap robotic probes. Just look at the Mars rovers as a prime example. The space station expecially was sucking dry the budgets for real science, so that they could send some astronauts (as well as super rich "space tourists) into low earth orbit. Yeah, it makes for some nice images, but it signifys absoltely nothing with scientifically worthwhile. Virtually no science has come from sending people into low earth orbit at a cost of many billiions of dollars. Returning to the moon and then to Mars was just one more stupid idea that George Bush came up with to destroy what was left of NASA's real science programs, which he never mentioned again

Well I'm certainly no scientist, but I have to disagree with you... Course it's just my opinion, but I love the idea of going back to the moon, and having a staging area for Furthur manned space exploration. I do keep track of all the unmanned probes that get launched and love reading about the results that they bring, but being an avid science fiction lover, I can't help but dream of "exploring strange new worlds, to seek out new life, new civilizations, and to boldly go where no man has gone before"... Granted I highly doubt that we'll ever get past Mars in our lifetime, if we ever get there, but it's something I like to think about.

I often watch NASA TV and The Science Channel (along with the History Channel) which are my favorite TV stations. From listening to the current astronauts in their interviews and watching them aboard the space station, it doesn't seem to them that the are wasting their time with needless science. I find it hard to believe that "virtually no science" has come from sending people into orbit.. I know our goverment loves to waste money on stupid shit, but I don't consider our space program stupid shit. Again, I'm no scientist, but I think tha what we learn now, will help us prepare for future missions when our technology better suits us for stuff that we only dream about now...

• Forum MVP
he's "Lost" your vote because of this? this has no impact on your life whatsoever

yeah that is really ridiculous. Have to agree with what nuetrino said here. Space travel? So we can go fuck up other places in the universe? come on people, lets get over the stupid novelty of going into space. And the technology that has been discovered through space travel is in no way worth the amount money spent. no way whatsoever. Until there are no starving or homeless people in this country I see absolutely no reason to be flying people(or anything) into space. Ignorant humans.... ;)

• Forum MVP

what aaron, david, tor, and neutrino said!

and this isnt solely obama's doing BTW... this has been in the works for a while and "he" only finalized it.. as "cool" as space travel may seem, it really is fucking expensive as shit.. there are bigger problems down here that need to be addressed first (re: aaron's homeless argument). in the current economy/state of america, space travel is as dumb as spending trillions of dollars on 2 illegal wars that dont really serve any american interests (other than corporate ones).. (oh wait, oops! did that actually happen?)

• Advisory Board
Until there are no starving or homeless people in this country I see absolutely no reason to be flying people (or anything) into space. Ignorant humans.... ;)

woot! agree. this is super outdated and not relevant to today's political climate in terms of specifics, but aaron's post reminded me of it. and it's alarmingly close to the truth, if you ask me. not that anyone did. not that i won't tell you what i think anyway.

American People Ruled Unfit to Govern

Through a miracle of multiple coincidences, I was able to observe a launch from the front lawn of the main office building at Cape Canaveral. A pre-existing business appointment and a delayed launch combined to allow me to see it from as close as a civilian can - still about 5+ miles from the launch pad. It was a noontime launch and between the fire in the sky and the sound of the engines, it was a moment I'll never forget. Thanks for reminding me of it.

• Forum MVP

I was wondering how long it would take before the "let's get our house in order at home before we deem ourselves fit to even think about traveling elsewhere" and "what an unseemly amount of money it wastes" arguments would be advanced. Good thing that Eric the Red, Columbus, Capt. Cook, and Henry Hudson among others didn't listen. Not a perfect analogy, but the spirit of exploration makes humans the stronger in the long run.

I'm not even going to mention the technological advances ranging from microwave and computers to food storage and composite materials that the program has spurred. We put a man on the moon with slide rules and computing power that is about equal to a smart phone's ability.

We've achieved so much in such a short time that does have practical ramifications that the supposed sideshow of human exploration should be indulged for the wonder of it all, even if the "coolness" factor is discounted. Who knows what can be accomplished in not only near-earth orbit but in the asteroid belt and beyond? And the advances that could be achieved by funding such efforts as colonizing Mars, sending humans to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn (life on Europa, anyone?) certainly won't detract from the quality of life down here.

Herdy already made a quote that I otherwise would have trotted out. Lambast it if you will, but I believe that humans both individually and collectively strive better when they aim higher. Our spirit soars when we boldly go. And that just isn't trying to be cool, but to be more.

Archived