Variety Playhouse ,atlanta Georgia

nwnj steve

• Forum MVP

Can anybody fill me in on the Variety playhouse in atlanta ,never been there ,really can't tell by the pictures .We're thinking about flying down for the 2 shows at the end of the month .Size ? Is it clean? non smoking hopefully? Thanks

• Forum MVP

Layout similar to the Vic, as in old theater with different floor levels and a balcony, but smaller. It is in what passes for the hippie area of Atlanta. Not especially clean, but has that intimate feel. I do believe it is non-smoking, but never paid much attention to that detail. There are some fun restaurants and shops in the neighborhood, but accomodations (with one noteable exception) are all driving distance away.

• Forum MVP

It's a chill venue...I don't believe there was cigarette smoking allowed...but yeah, there was still smoke in the place ;)

Variety Playhouse is my home court since I grew up the second time in that neighborhood. A relatively small club. Many years ago it was a neighborhood cinima house. Good danceing space up front and in the standing areas on the sides. Middle court is seating. Smoking tobacoo is supposed to be only outside in a small fenced in alley way. I don't smoke but I always visit the area just to see friends...oh, and maybe get something passed from some young stranger from the other side of the fence. Usually the two small bars selling beers etc are crowded at breaks. The last several years, the Dark Star shows have been sold out are at least very full. Sound is normally very good. The people that work and play there are friendly and cool. Young children are allowed but since the show is long it might be too much for the very young. Leaving the venue and re entering is normally not allowed.

Thre is one hotel in walking distance. The wonderful single star Highland Inn. A very funky place that has European character. I'll be staying there Friday and Saturday. Last year I was given a coupon for one free night for the next stay after I politly told them that the shower in the room did not have any cold water....lots of hot water but the cold water handle needed repair. The Highland has a policy of charging an extra ten or twenty for each extra guest that ends up staying over night.

The neighborhood immeditally around Varity Playhouse is call "Little Five Points" and has many interesting stores including the best "organic food etc" sort of store I know of...many years ago it was started as a co-op by local hippies. About half a mile north is a seperate community, Virginia Highlands, where there are many more interesting stores, shops, bars, hang outs, and places to find old friends.

I admit that I am quite partial to Varity Playhouse and those neighborhoods since I lived around there for many years. When I go back there for a weekend it's like returning to play in my old backyard as a child. Hope to see you there in a couple weeks.

Peace and Love,

Doc

Archived