Weir Interview

sonomajon

• Forum MVP

that guy clearly didn't know to much much about the Grateful Dead... I say that not in a mean way. But, some of those questions were just funny... like the setlist ones. Bobbys answers were even more awesome. I was psyched to hear "I can bring out Ratdog when ever, Furthur is going to be around for a while"..

Also nice to hear Bobby talk abut how his relationship with Phil was to strong to keep fighting over how things should go... awesome.

Who would have thunk Bob Weir would ever consider a career in country music.

i actually think he'd sound good at it. but then again i love his voice. i think barlow would fit nicely too, his lyrics are often lost-my-woman-need-a-beer tinged...

Bringing me down,

I'm running aground

Blind in the light of the interstate cars.

I woke today...

And felt your side of bed

The covers were still warm where you'd been layin'.

You were gone...

Who would have thunk Bob Weir would ever consider a career in country music.

Doesn't seem that odd to me considering how country oriented much of the GD music has been in the past. Bob especially seems to love to play this stuff (Me and my Uncle, Mexicali, Momma Tried,...) Bob seems to also be returning to his bluegrass roots. Funny coincidence--I came across this pic of Bob and bluegrass singer Gillian Welch recently:

Bob Weir & Gillian Welch

I am becoming a huge fan of Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings. I saw them at the Fillmore last week and it was an absolutely magnificent show. They played this gig billed as the Dave Rawling Macihine, and had 3 of the guys from Old Crow Medicince Show with them, as well as a number of special guests. To my delight, they played a number of tunes that the Dead also do including Peggy-O and Monkey and the Engineer, and Queen Jane Approximately. I suspect Mr. Weir might have also shown up as a guest if he hadn't been busy playing with Furthur on the East Coast.. I suspect when Bob talks about doing a country album, he is likely meaning bluegrass, rather than traditional country music.

• Forum MVP

Doesn't seem that odd to me considering how country oriented much of the GD music has been in the past. Bob especially seems to love to play this stuff (Me and my Uncle, Mexicali, Momma Tried,...) Bob seems to also be returning to his bluegrass roots. Funny coincidence--I came across this pic of Bob and bluegrass singer Gillian Welch recently:

I'm not sure if you've read the interview but he was kidding when he said that...and so was I.

:)

Also...David Rawlings is one hell of a guitar player and Gillian Welch is one hell of a songwriter/singer.

Pretty good thing they have going!

I'm not sure if you've read the interview but he was kidding when he said that...and so was I.

:)

Also...David Rawlings is one hell of a guitar player and Gillian Welch is one hell of a songwriter/singer.

Pretty good thing they have going!

Well, maybe what PT Barnum said applies to me, but I think Bobby is completely serious about a country album. I didn't get the impression he was kidding about this one bit.

• Forum MVP

Well, maybe what PT Barnum said applies to me, but I think Bobby is completely serious about a country album. I didn't get the impression he was kidding about this one bit.

It was kind of a lame question--or at least it seems Bob took it that way. The guy asked if Bob Weir still wants to be doing "Dead music", it there's a part of him that doesn't want to be doing that anymore. And Bob kind of admonished him in a subtle way but giving a flippant answer--an answer that I am fairly certain he was NOT serious about at all. It was a joke. I'm sure Bob had a tiny smile on his face as he said it.

It's not like I'm friends with Bob or anything, but I know a joke when I see one and that was Bob joking--sure enough it was dry, but the interviewer got it and dropped it right quick.

Don't be expecting a Bob Weir country album to be hitting the stores anytime soon guys.

I read a quote...I think it was very early on, when Further was coming together, you made some mention of being on stage, and just the whole vibe, that you could almost feel Jerry there. Is that still the way it feels to you?

• Forum MVP

"... there was an interview in which Bobby was asked if traditional country music has ever been an influence in his work..."

To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day

Hardly spoke to folks around him, didn't have too much to say

No one dared to ask his business, no one dared to make a slip

The stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip

Big iron on his hip

Amen.

• Forum MVP

Well...everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am willing to pretty much bet anything I own that Bob Weir was kidding, so someone who knows him, give him a call and ask.

That is a perfect example of his sense of humor.

Perfect example. That's just Bob Weir right there.

But I like being proven wrong and I have certainly been wrong before, even though it's been a really, really long time. :)

Also....I'm willing to go in on any pool!

• Forum MVP

I've been hearing nuances of extra southern twang in some of Furthur's work (2/14 Peggy-O comes to mind), and I've been wondering if Bobby is partly influencing that...

A lot of that I think is them going back to their roots. Like with John's guitar on Looks Like Rain--he's getting a sound like that pedal steel kind of thing and I bet (though don't know) that it sounds a little like the sudio version.

Bob is a cowboy, ya know...

"... there was an interview in which Bobby was asked if traditional country music has ever been an influence in his work..."

To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day

Hardly spoke to folks around him, didn't have too much to say

No one dared to ask his business, no one dared to make a slip

The stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip

Big iron on his hip

Amen.

Singin Big Iron, awaitin the rains

towheaded young blood totin a big iron BB

awalkin across them Vegas plains

Marty Robbins and Weir made a pretty good team.

They did. Weir and a country/western star,...and not just El Paso but Bobby choosing to cover Big Iron, and yet you still think he was joking?...

By the way, I'm in on the pool :P

• Forum MVP

They did. Weir and a country/western star,...and not just El Paso but Bobby choosing to cover Big Iron, and yet you still think he was joking?...

I very much do Kimberly. Let's make it a really nice dinner somewhere of our choosing if the truth ever comes out.

Maybe it's because I have a similar sense of humor and thought it was a funny way to dismiss a question that could have be taken as an insult (even though I don't think it was intended as one).

Bob Weir's life has been "Grateful Dead music." Every bit of his musical life. We're talking 40 plus years of dirt, blood and sweat. For someone to ask if some part of him would rather be doing something else other than GD music at this point in his life? I think the interviewer was going after something deep and maybe even worthwhile but failed and failed badly---and Weir kind of put him in his place, in classic Weir style. But this is the last I'll be saying about this--we'll just wait to see if anyone asks him about it because, judging from the opinions offered here, my guess is that there were others who took him seriously too.

I really like this place in Napa called The French Laundry...but that might be too far away, unless DSO plans on going to those parts someday.

and i'm in on betting anything you own... ;)

:rofl:

Well I got no dime, but it's only right and fun to find the true story... hehe

Let's make it a really nice dinner somewhere of our choosing if the truth ever comes out.

Hhhhm, so you've gone from "willing to bet anything I own" to just having a "nice dinner"? Are we sensing some curling creeping tendrils of doubt here? LoL

'We shall find the truth, and the truth will make you mad.' :P

Love you David!

I really like this place in Napa called The French Laundry...but that might be too far away, unless DSO plans on going to those parts someday.

Better start making your reservations now for 2011 if you want to do dinner at the French Laundry. It took us almost a year to finally get in that place!! It cost a fortune, but I don't think I have ever had a better meal!

• Forum MVP

Better start making your reservations now for 2011 if you want to do dinner at the French Laundry. It took us almost a year to finally get in that place!! It cost a fortune, but I don't think I have ever had a better meal!

If you put yourself on the waiting list for a time, there is a decent chance you will get a table. It's worked for us couple times.

Hhhhm, so you've gone from "willing to bet anything I own" to just having a "nice dinner"? Are we sensing some curling creeping tendrils of doubt here? LoL

I'm totally willing to be anything I own too...I don't think we own our animals, so those are off limits.

But my car is fair game...as well as my collection, stereo and soul.

So...if you win, I will bring all of the above to the French Laundry or the restaurant of your choosing.

Now we just have to ge in contact with Bobby. I could stake out the Whole Foods in Mill Valley...

Archived