Naveta Festival...

VincentPuleo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I will enjoy the extra space created by your absence.

hey man, that is some Philzone talk... As I said... I am not skipping out on G-Fest; I simply cannot go this summer. The only reason I am going to Maine in the first place is because a good friend offered to drive. I would not be able to go otherwise. I didn't think I'd have to explain this but I was not saying Maine is better or worse than the Grateful Fest nor was this a decision over Grateful Fest. I have never even experienced a music and camping festival. I was just asking if anyone had been to this festival before or if anyone is going this summer.

• Forum MVP

You live right next to Summit and New Providence? That's where my parents grew up, my grandparents still live there. So close to me, 30 minutes.

I'll definitely be at the Wellmont. I want to go to the Brooklyn show, but not sure i got buds to go with. Also looking into Westbury and Mountain Jam. We shall see...

Where are you from in jersey ,found ,I don't know your name?

Guest deadheadmike

lighten up francis

:D

You prefer to read my take on Bobby singing " Days " ;) I already posted that I think he does a pretty solid rendition and I remember posting that I kinda liked Phil's Peggy O ... What else do you want (?) I got nothing left ...............

EXCEPT THIS - :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

hey man, that is some Philzone talk... As I said... I am not skipping out on G-Fest; I simply cannot go this summer. The only reason I am going to Maine in the first place is because a good friend offered to drive. I would not be able to go otherwise. I didn't think I'd have to explain this but I was not saying Maine is better or worse than the Grateful Fest nor was this a decision over Grateful Fest. I have never even experienced a music and camping festival. I was just asking if anyone had been to this festival before or if anyone is going this summer.

I didn't mean for you to feel insulted by my comment. I happen to think Gratefulfest is the highlight of the summer and the best festival I have ever been too. I couldn't imagine going elsewhere during that weekend and like I said, I think your making a mistake. I would take found up on his offer and ride with a new group of friends to Gratefulfest, but I understand your already committed to your friend. I am sure you will have fun.

I share your sentiments that this isn't a competition. I understand the financial arguments that they fight over the same fan base for limited money and time. However, I think this is only relevant for those that tour extensively and at this point, is a small portion of the Grateful Dead community, although larger than one may think. I think this is a great time for GD music. JK makes Bobby and Phil's band relevant again and they play quality music. DSO continues to play the truest to form Grateful Dead available. I will certainly see both bands a lot. I've already seen Furthur 12 times and DSO well over a 100. I go to see live music a lot and I have done the festival circuit. A monster like Furthur will create a community of some really cool Heads, but will also probably bring some of the negative aspects of people attending not for the music. I have been Bonnaroo, Allgood, Langerado, Wanee, 10klf, GOTV, Mountain Jam, Rothbury, Delfest, and Gratefulfest. Gratefulfest has the highest ratio of people there for the music than any festival I've been too. Wanee is a close second; I love that place too. I am sure you will make it out to Gratefulfest eventually, when you start to do more touring.

• Forum MVP

I will definitely be at Gratefulfest next summer... The reason I am confident the vibe will be good at this Maine festival is because of the line-up. Where festivals like Bonaroo attract many for the scene as you say rather than what is truly important. I'm sure there is nothing like Gratefulfest in that sense though..

I am in a similar situation Jack Jones.. have you ever been to Oxford, Maine?

Hi Vincent, Yes, I've been to Oxford many times and I was at the two Dead shows they played there in 1988. I grew up in Maine and though I don't live there anymore (I live about 5 miles from the border in NH) I still cover the whole state for my job. Maine is a beautiful state and is called Vacationland for good reason. Leave a little time either before of after the fest and I can suggest some good destinations for you while you're here.

As festivals go this one is an unknown being in its first year. That said, I have been following this festival closely and have great confidence in the people that are producing it. They seem to be responsive to the fans and, most important to me, they have a zero tolerance policy on nitrous. This crap has no place at a festival. There is'nt much I dislike more than psssssst all night and dead balloons everywhere the next day.

I am looking forward to g-fest in the future but for reasons I've already stated I can't pass up Nateva.

I guess you must've moved since last I visited you.

:D

Same in reverse for me would love to go to Oxford but too far.

Have fun and may the groundscores be yours!

Sorry Dave, I'm a different Jack Jones. I think I may need to ask Taper Ron if I can change my name. <_<

Nice to meet you though.

Guest deadheadmike

whooooaaa..

I am genuinely sorry. I can honestly say I had no idea there was anything wrong with this... simply just wondering if people had heard of it, knew what it was like, and if anyone was attending this summer!..

You guys have to understand there is no competition with DSO and Furthur in my mind. So it's harder for me to realize these things. I will equally do what ever I can to see them both as many times as I can.. I cannot get all the way to Ohio though. I will be seeing DSO twice the month before. Maine is just somewhere I know I can get to and I really would like to camp at a festival since it is something I have never done..

TR, you can move this..

Understand that I didn't wake up this morning and say to myself , I'm gonna take a piss in Vincent Puleo's corn flakes today ... I would have replied just as I did to any member that posted this , ANY ... you have to know that when the lights go down for the night that this is a business , the music business , this is how the band members of DSO support their families ... it really is getting beyond ridiculous how much advertising furthur is getting on the Dark Star Orchestra Forum ... enjoy whichever scene you choose , and this goes to all of us , but remember which band busted their ass for the past 12 years giving up the goods ...

and never forget :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Hi Vincent, Yes, I've been to Oxford many times and I was at the two Dead shows they played there in 1988. I grew up in Maine and though I don't live there anymore (I live about 5 miles from the border in NH) I still cover the whole state for my job. Maine is a beautiful state and is called Vacationland for good reason. Leave a little time either before of after the fest and I can suggest some good destinations for you while you're here.

As festivals go this one is an unknown being in its first year. That said, I have been following this festival closely and have great confidence in the people that are producing it. They seem to be responsive to the fans and, most important to me, they have a zero tolerance policy on nitrous. This crap has no place at a festival. There is'nt much I dislike more than psssssst all night and dead balloons everywhere the next day.

I am looking forward to g-fest in the future but for reasons I've already stated I can't pass up Nateva.

I am very psyched to hear all of this.. especially the no tolerance policy on nitrous. That stuff is no good.

and deadheadmike... I really do understand and respect this.. things having to do with Furthur are completely relevant in this section of the forum especially since a member of this new band was a member of DSO for 12 years. As I have said no matter how many Furthur threads are posted nothing will change the amount I see DSO!.. I promise you.. this is not advertising.

• Forum MVP

I am very psyched to hear all of this.. especially the no tolerance policy on nitrous. That stuff is no good.

We shall see how effective they are at stopping this. Nitrous has been present on this recent Furthur tour and at times, being sold within a 100 yards of uniformed police officers with little to no problem.

• Forum MVP

Where are you from in jersey ,found ,I don't know your name?

I'm Brian from Rockaway Twsp. Right next to Denville, Dover, Parsipanny.

My brother's name is stephen. he's the one who usually goes to all the shows with me. Lived in North Jersey our entire lives.

I'm not sure.. I just don't see it that way. DSO is doing their thing and Furthur is doing theirs and it is all sprouted from the amazing entity that is Grateful Dead. One band isn't listening to another bands shows to find what they can do to have this better than that... I still don't see it...

I think that just because John is in Furthur it is easier to look at it as "competition" but no one was saying this when the Dead toured last spring...

put it this way... I will be seeing Dark Star Orchestra more this year than I did last year before Furthur really existed.

DSO &Furthur IMHO are doing the same thing...... performing Grateful Dead music live on stage with tremendous talent & passion!

I never implied that anyone was listening to the other bands performances & attempting to outperform each other!

JK being in Furthur doesn't cause me to feel that theres competition @ all !

The DEAD '09 tour was the same exact scenario- Two bands playing Grateful Dead music ,that I had to juggle my time/$$$ to catch as many shows as I could ! The only difference was that I didn't particurally enjoy Warren "The guitar Mercanary" Haynes singing Jerry ballads,so I spent more time/$$$/energy @ DSO shows !

Furthur having original members ,really don't seal the deal for me when deciding where my time/$$$ is going to be spent,because for me it's all searching for the sound !

I'll continue to see both bands as often as I can! :dsorocks:

See Ya on the Road,

Rob

There is NO COMPETITION in my book.There are original members of the GRATEFUL DEAD or people that imitate the real mambers.???NO BRAINER!!!!These guys DSO will be here long after the REAL members.Say what you like but time is short for FURTHUR,like I said NO BRAINER!!!!Plus JK will be there.

Hey-I'm not trying to stir it up, but.....

The term COMPETITION was not being used to in any compare the 2 bands!

I was simply staiting that both bands are vying (competing) for the same $$$ for tickets,from the same musical fans !

The Grateful Dead included a legendary/one of a kind/ (add any adjective you like here) Lead Guitarist......NO SHOW AFTER JERRYS DEATH CAN COMPARE-end of story !

This REAL member shit does nothing for me today-It still ain't the same Pal :wacko:

When @ Furthur shows-I'm parked right in front of JK @ the rail, Bobby never was a force in getting me to a show & his vocal style these days is more a deterant than ever!

And just how short any bands time is.... Is unknown- Are you the amazin' Kreskin ?

The phrase " imitate the real members" isn't really square with the facts IMHO- DSO recreates the Grateful Dead experience in a much closer manner !

But if you prefer the potluck go to the show & see who sings the Garcia tunes tonight approach....Then enjoy yourself !

:dsorocks:

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

Scotch Plains-Fanwood... only 7 hours? I was under the impression Ohio was much further. Regardless, Maine is my destination for this summer. However, I will be at every DSO show in NY/NJ area before and after.

Those jersey and ny shows don't mean squat next to gratefulfest. DSO might be around for a while but who knows if this amazing place, Nelson Ledges, will still be a possibility in the future. Let's enjoy this magical place while we've got it!

• Forum MVP

You're right Blue Dylan... despite the fact I cannot go either way. I want to enjoy and embrace seeing Phil and Bobby while we still have them playing this music. Seeing Phil and Bobby is always a special thing for me just as it is DSO.

Actually, I've heard talk on the Philzone where people say "they need to check out this Dark Star Orchestra band' based on hearing John in Furthur. As I said it is really all good, and I am not saying anything is better or worse.

• Forum MVP

I'm Brian from Rockaway Twsp. Right next to Denville, Dover, Parsipanny.

My brother's name is stephen. he's the one who usually goes to all the shows with me. Lived in North Jersey our entire lives.

I'm up in sussex county ,used todown to the beer gardens in rockaway or over to Greigmere to see bears choice .Did you or your brother know tom barry from denville .Big tour head who passed away around 1994?

• Forum MVP

I'm up in sussex county ,used todown to the beer gardens in rockaway or over to Greigmere to see bears choice .Did you or your brother know tom barry from denville .Big tour head who passed away around 1994?

I've played some shows at the Sussex Elks lodge... they got nice, uhhhh, corn fields up there. Been to so many Cardinals games in that area too, lots of fun.

Neither of us know any tour heads from the area (I'm 20 and my brother is 23 in March), although my family does have a few deadheads in it but they are mostly from southern Jersey. It seems like you sure know my area though... as a little side note, the mcdonalds at the Rockaway Mall caught fire this past weekend. I was ready to have a BBQ. http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20100220/UPDATES01/100220068/Rockaway+Townsquare+mall+reopens+after+fire+at+McDonald+s

Archived