Furthur: Portland, Oregon

jawdoc

Tonights the night. Last concert I saw at the Memorial Coliseum was The Grateful Dead on 8-26-83. Really looking forward to it.

08-26-83 Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, Or. (Fri)

1: Bertha> Promised, Peggy-O, Me & My Uncle> Big River, West L. A., Minglewood, Loser> Let It Grow

2: Scarlet> Fire, Woman Smarter, He's Gone> Drumz> Truckin> Wang Dang Doodle> Stella Blue> Sugar Magnolia E: U. S. Blues

first "Wang Dang Doodle"

Guest deadheadmike

Tonights the night. Last concert I saw at the Memorial Colosium was The Grateful Dead on 8-26-83. Really looking forward to it.

Enjoy Bro !!! let me know what your plans for April are ... give me a call ... dsorocks.gif

• Forum MVP

tonight's show is for Pig..

Set l:

Picasso Moon

Dupree's Diamond Blues

Friend Of The Devil

Mama Tried>

Black Throated Wind

Built To Last

Peaceful Valley>

Passenger

for the vocal record, John sang Built To Last..

Set ll:

Scarlet Begonias>

Fire On The Mountain

Hell In A Bucket

West L.A Fadeaway

Reuben & Cherise>

Days Between

China Cat Sunflower>

I Know You Rider

Encore:

Knockin' On Heavens Door>Touch Of Grey

• Forum MVP

My wife and I hit the show last night. 1st time seeing Furthur. Thought the show was amazing. Wishing it was a 2 night run and that I was going to SF on Friday.

Set 1 started with the Picasso that left me scratching my head as I found it an unusual opener for the tour closer. My concerns quickly faded as they played it about as well as I have ever heard. Immediately noticed that Phil seemed about as happy as I have ever seen him. Not sure what everyone else thought but I went nuts during that Duprees. So hot even though they were obviously working their way into the evening. FOTD and Mama Tried were both good but standard versions. This is where things get going: Built 2 Last and Black-Throated Wind. GOOD LORD!!! I was jumping up and done andgoing nuts. Soooo much fun. Had never heard Peaceful Valley before. Good song, even thought many in the crowd seemed to be trying to find out what song it was during the front half of the song. Again, I don't know what everyone else heard, but I definitely was feeling the Other One/D Star jam in the transition out of Peaceful Valley. Definite tease of Other One and then a spacey switch into a D Star Jam. Really nice and then they dropped the hammer: Passenger!!! Song was going great and I was thinking "what are they going to do after this to close the set? Hmmmmmmmmm". Well by the time JK was in mid-solo, you knew this was going to close it out. It just kept climbing and climbing and climbing. John tore the roof off that place with that Passenger solo.

Was having a conversation with a guy from Idaho at setbreak. We were discussing how we were both digging on the random song selection for Set I. I believe my comment was "yeah, it doesn't have to be Scarlet Fire, Estimated>Eyes every night". Which led to.................

Scarlet Fire right out of the box. Very good versions of each song. I'm in my happy place. Was kind of suprised by the Hell in a Bucket but it was a good versiona dn you knew Bobby was having fun. The West LA was a standard version. Nothing awe inspiring but certainly nice to hear. Rubin & Cherise!!! WOW. Unexpected and a smoking hot version. The place is going nuts. Spacey Jam and then the hints of Days Between. [ Now I had also been speaking with someone else about the fact that the question was "What will the Slow Jerry song be". We were both very excited about the possibilities. We had both been to The Gorge for The Dead and neither of us was fond of the super slow Days they played.] That being said, this Days Between was much quicker than the last time I saw one played. Bobby sang it and I thought it was the best version I have ever heard Bobby sing. Wasn't mind blowing but very good. I was assuming that we would get the Lovelight as it was Pig's birthday b ut was very happy to hear the first notes of Chinacat. Very strong verion. Phil & Bobby , shit the whole band, was going off and having a blast. Transition into Rider was a wonderful treat. The whole place is smiles. John's guitar goes down in the middle of Rider. Switch guitars. Nothing. Completely dead. Jeff Chimenti, who has played some beautiful solos throughout the night but has overall been a bit quiet, proceeds to take control and drives through 2 powerful solo sections while they work on John's rig. About 4 bars before the end of the solo section, John gives the roadie the "thumbs up" and LAUNCHES into one of the most rocking Rider solos I can remember. Between Jeff's two solos and John playing some ferocious guitar on the back end, Rider alone was worth the price of admission. Not the best Rider I have ever heard but the whole band had tons of energy, the crowd was so into it and there really wouldn't have been a better way to close the set.

Encore started with Knockin. I actually really like when Bobby does this song. I think he does a great job on it. Might be that I always fondly remember Ratdog's version from 8/9/95. But I will say I was a bit disappointed as I really wanted to hear JK sing one more song. So I was very happy when they transitioned into Touch of Grey. Bobby and JK were trading off lines, not verses but actually switching in the middle of the verse. JK sang the 1st two lines of the verse then Bobby would sing the last two. It was working. After the solo, Bobby sang the 1st two and then JK got the last two lines. Lots of hugs on stage afterwards. Crowd was loving every minute of it.

Sure there were some songs I would have loved to hear. It can always be different, right? Actually, what I really liked was the fact that they WEREN'T playing a greatest hits show. They actually played songs that they seemed really happy and excited to play. That actually made Furthur seem like the band that they becoming and not the Phil & Bobby vehicle that everyone was worried it would become. Russo and Lane were beasts last night. So much energy back there. Jeff, as I said earlier, was always in the right place at the right time and really let loose on that Rider solo. Bobby was Bobby. Loved every minute of the Bobby Rock Star Experience. Always have. He sounded much better than he did at The Gorge. IMO, the night really belonged to JK & Phil. The interplay between those two was amazing. Like they had been playing together for years. Left me wondering how often Phil is playing and thinking "wow, this feels scarily natural". Phil dropped a couple big bombs during Touch, which shook the rafters.

Also, at the end of Phil's Donor Rap, he was talking about how much fun he is having and that they "will definitely be back". Good news indeed.

• Forum MVP

Phil dropped a couple big bombs during Touch, which shook the rafters.

That a big element I've missed in Furthur. You don't get many, and often when you do they're just thrown in at the end of the night. Phil's articulation and tonality are quite good, just none of his signature "moments".

Thanks for the thorough write up, Funky.

I can certainly understand that. Again, I had never heard the sogn before but it was suprisingly familiar at the same time.

I'm a huge Ryan fan...his catalogue is deep and wide...he is a very respected and talented songrwiter...This a great simple acoustic tune he wrote after visiting th R&R Hall of Fame....

Rosebud

For Jerry Garcia

Author: Ryan Adams

Official Appearance:

Cold Roses - Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

When I pick up my guitar

This is the song that always comes

Don't know what I'm singing 'bout and

Don't know what for

I think about you

And I think about Rosebud

Wish there was a song to sing

To bring you back

But you can't get here from nowhere I guess

Rosebud's shipwrecked up on the Ohio

Behind a wall of glass

Telling me to take care of myself

And my friends

You sing to a field of trees

And roses singing those melodies

Simple and easy where everything moves

Underneath you

And Rosebud too

I wish there was a song to sing

To get you back

Behind a wall of glass

Telling me to take it easy

But I took a photograph

And she's just a wooden machine

But you and Rosebud, you're still singing to me

I'm a huge Ryan fan...his catalogue is deep and wide...he is a very respected and talented songrwiter...This a great simple acoustic tune he wrote after visiting th R&R Hall of Fame....

Rosebud

For Jerry Garcia

Author: Ryan Adams

Official Appearance:

Cold Roses - Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

When I pick up my guitar

This is the song that always comes

Don't know what I'm singing 'bout and

Don't know what for

I think about you

And I think about Rosebud

Wish there was a song to sing

To bring you back

Behind a wall of glass

Telling me to take care of myself

And my friends

You sing to a field of trees

And roses singing those melodies

Simple and easy where everything moves

Underneath you

And Rosebud too

I wish there was a song to sing

To get you back

Behind a wall of glass

Telling me to take it easy

But I took a photograph

And she's just a wooden machine

But you and Rosebud, you're still singing to me

Thanks for that Sonoma. Maybe I'll start paying more attention to Ryan Adams.

Thanks for that Sonoma. Maybe I'll start paying more attention to Ryan Adams.

This show hs a good Magnolia Mtn and a Peaceful Valley and another "deadesque" tune called Goodnight Rose...

http://www.archive.org/details/ryanadams2007-09-14.sbd.flac16

Ryan was listening to a lot of Dead when he wrote most of the double album Cold Roses...lots of 77 era boots...

One critics review:

Cold Roses' most palpable reference point may be American Beauty-era Grateful Dead: Excellent opener "Magnolia Mountain" mixes slow, "Box of Rain" melancholy ("If the morning don't come/ Will you lie to me?/ Will you take me to your bed and lay me down?") with Adams' trademark guitar scrapes and sandpapered howls, while "Cold Roses" is packed with giddy guitar noodling and jam-friendly interludes (even Adams' vocals seem deliberately Garcia-infused, straining and paper-thin, careening off into a smoke-filled sunset.) Meanwhile, nearly every bit of electric guitar on Cold Roses sounds as though it was plucked straight from Dick's vault, all wiggly solos and playful licks, unintentional and woozy.

this show has Cold Roses which Furthur could shred..phil has played it with Ryan...a couple more tunes from this show that are in the Dead vein are Let it Ride and Easy Plateau...

http://www.archive.org/details/ryanadams2007-07-24.sbd.flac16

This whole show is amazing! The Peaceful V here rips...if you want to get a feel for Ryan listen to the impromptu song he makes up for a girls birthday...Summer Brown...

For me Ryan is like Neil Young or CSN meets Grateful Dead....

One more thing Ry let people plug into the board and use ambient stage mics so there are tons of crisp shows on archive!

Hope you enjoy!

I haven't had time to comment on the show but I thought it was pretty good. It was cool to see Jon up there and everybody seemed to be having a good time. Not to be negative but Bobby just seemed to be a little strange. Looked like he was wearing a yoga outfit and he was playing his pink guitar. Maybe that was the look he was going for. I would go see them again. One thing for sure I think DSO is better therefore just booked my flight for a 4 show run in socal. So I'll see you down there. :dsorocks:

Guest deadheadmike

I haven't had time to comment on the show but I thought it was pretty good. It was cool to see Jon up there and everybody seemed to be having a good time. Not to be negative but Bobby just seemed to be a little strange. Looked like he was wearing a yoga outfit and he was playing his pink guitar. Maybe that was the look he was going for. I would go see them again. One thing for sure I think DSO is better therefore just booked my flight for a 4 show run in socal. So I'll see you down there. :dsorocks:

you so crazy ... see ya next month !!! ;)

Guest deadheadmike

One thing for sure I think DSO is better therefore just booked my flight for a 4 show run in socal. So I'll see you down there.

:dsorocks:

Don't forget , we're gong to see Cubensis on Tuesday night the 27th in Huntington Beach ... OH MAN this is going to be FUN !!!

:dsorocks:

Archived