Dead Listening

VincentPuleo

• Forum MVP

really amazing blog I just discovered... I'm sure most of you were aware of it already..

http://www.deadlistening.com/

It may seem like a lot to look at but it's show reviews and other random Grateful Dead related articles. He has links to all the shows at the bottom of each post.

Check out the second post on the page right now, 5/9/77..

The juxtaposition of Comes A Time against everything that preceded it demonstrates yet another layer of the Grateful Dead's magic. We are in church again, at complete peace. Every cell of every body sings this prayer together. It's as if we've known it our entire lives. The connections between audience and band are unmistakable, and we expand into another moment that we both wish would never end and goes on forever at the same time.

• Forum MVP

He (she?) writes elsewhere in the blog (which gives me the creepy feeling that I wrote it but I didn't - I just dreamed it):

"I'm not really trying to justify the logic of having to collect hundreds (let alone thousands) of shows. I know that obsession is saved for a pretty slim sliver of society. I've simply come to find that my musical quest held something more to its yearnings than just hearing more Dead music. For whatever reason, the Dead's music was a vehicle into a more spiritual level of satisfaction. You can't deny the parallels between the way the band's music could induce rapt attention into the present moment/experience, and the nature of a spiritual goal. As my mind has become more in tune with the path of awakening on many levels, it is clear that this band's music was a powerful step to my getting in touch with my own gold ring, deep inside. It is that power within the music that expressed itself in my unquenchable need for more of it. Each show, it seems, as another chapter in the book of the Dead, could be just that, and more. One man gathers what another man spills."

• Forum MVP

"I'm not really trying to justify the logic of having to collect hundreds (let alone thousands) of shows. I know that obsession is saved for a pretty slim sliver of society. I've simply come to find that my musical quest held something more to its yearnings than just hearing more Dead music. For whatever reason, the Dead's music was a vehicle into a more spiritual level of satisfaction. You can't deny the parallels between the way the band's music could induce rapt attention into the present moment/experience, and the nature of a spiritual goal. As my mind has become more in tune with the path of awakening on many levels, it is clear that this band's music was a powerful step to my getting in touch with my own gold ring, deep inside. It is that power within the music that expressed itself in my unquenchable need for more of it. Each show, it seems, as another chapter in the book of the Dead, could be just that, and more. One man gathers what another man spills."

very well stated arm! I agree with your thinking and thanks to following the music of the Grateful Dead starting in the late 70's, the band and its music had very special meanings to me personally and had an impact on where my life took me. Nicely said!

He (she?) writes elsewhere in the blog (which gives me the creepy feeling that I wrote it but I didn't - I just dreamed it):

:rolleyes: That is VERY well said, in my opinion! :cheers:

Peace

Archived