Dso-Mystic Theater 14 April 10'

August West

• Forum MVP

Given these mics are Neumann KM140s and were placed in about as ideal a spot as imaginable in any theater (I was standing next to them) fans of DSO audience recording should be VERY happy with this tape!

I gotta say John.....I was pleasently suprised and pleased with the overall quality.The show from start to finish is pretty damn solid 2.

Listening now... sounds awesome! Both the sound quality of the recording and the band sound fantastic! Really I feel like I'm listening to just another Dead show from the Archive, on a night when they were playing well.

Both Robs are sounding especially nice, Barracco's adding just the right amount of piano in just the right places and Eaton's guitar is nailing Weir's style and tone and really driving things along even more than I'm used to hearing. Stu's fitting in well but not sounding in charge quite yet - lots of promise there though!

• Forum MVP

Listening now... sounds awesome! Both the sound quality of the recording and the band sound fantastic! Really I feel like I'm listening to just another Dead show from the Archive, on a night when they were playing well.

No disrespect meant towards all the other bands that cover the music of the Grateful Dead , it's a commitment that deserves respect not matter what level their at , but DSO is in a league of their own . It has be due to their extreme love for the Grateful Dead combined with their superior musicianship that delivers such a high quality end result . I've see over a couple hundred GD shows during their last 15 year span and DSO truly turned the stage lights back on after Jerry's passing and the remaining band members decided to turn the lights out . The stuff I'm hearing lately with Stu Allen is exceptional and really has some of those take me back moments and the thing is that Stu is still young and learning , he can only get better . Some friends lucky enough to catch a portion of this tour so far have said they've never seen Eaton and the band play so well , so tight , in tune with one another and having such fun.

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Both Robs are sounding especially nice, Barracco's adding just the right amount of piano in just the right places and Eaton's guitar is nailing Weir's style and tone and really driving things along even more than I'm used to hearing. Stu's fitting in well but not sounding in charge quite yet - lots of promise there though!

I see you added to your post and we are on the same page . I was told by my friend that he'd never seen Eaton play with such maturity and the same for Barracco .

Regarding Eaton's guitar playing, I have been struck for some time with how much more I hear him with DSO than I remember hearing Weir with the GD. I remember often having to really concentrate to hear what Weir was playing--especially in the later years. Eaton is right in your face, and it is absolutely magnificent to listen to. Although I was always concentrating primarily on what Jerry did at GD shows, I have found myself listening to Rob more than JK on many occasions at DSO shows and being completely blown away by the intricate rhythm guitar. I've tried to get up close at shows and stand in front of Rob's stage speakers to get the maximum effect..

Looking forward to hearing the band live for the first time post-JK this weekend!

Regarding Eaton's guitar playing, I have been struck for some time with how much more I hear him with DSO than I remember hearing Weir with the GD. I remember often having to really concentrate to hear what Weir was playing--especially in the later years. Eaton is right in your face, and it is absolutely magnificent to listen to. Although I was always concentrating primarily on what Jerry did at GD shows, I have found myself listening to Rob more than JK on many occasions at DSO shows and being completely blown away by the intricate rhythm guitar. I've tried to get up close at shows and stand in front of Rob's stage speakers to get the maximum effect..

Looking forward to hearing the band live for the first time post-JK this weekend!

Eaton's stage sound is loud...I too enjoy getting up there and listening to him but I found myself needing to go back further to get a more even mix...

Totally agree, Neutrino! Brent really both drowned Bobby out soundwise and crowded him out playingwise IMHO... eventually he started putting all kinds of cheesy effects on his guitar, almost in protest. (Some of that might have been Healy, it's been said that he added a lot of effects on Bobby's guitar at the board also) .

I really like some of the more open years like 1973 or later Keith's Heroin years when he got the room to shine. Bobby's a great rhythm guitarist and Eaton's nailing my favorite style.

I'm looking forward to when they come east!

Regarding stage volume - that's just the nature of guitar amps IMHO. Higher frequencies are very directional, if you stand right in front of any guitar speakers it will totally change the mix for you.

• Forum MVP

No disrespect meant towards all the other bands that cover the music of the Grateful Dead , it's a commitment that deserves respect not matter what level their at , but DSO is in a league of their own . It has be due to their extreme love for the Grateful Dead combined with their superior musicianship that delivers such a high quality end result . I've see over a couple hundred GD shows during their last 15 year span and DSO truly turned the stage lights back on after Jerry's passing and the remaining band members decided to turn the lights out . The stuff I'm hearing lately with Stu Allen is exceptional and really has some of those take me back moments and the thing is that Stu is still young and learning , he can only get better . Some friends lucky enough to catch a portion of this tour so far have said they've never seen Eaton and the band play so well , so tight , in tune with one another and having such fun.

:dsorocks:

I know I'm not trippin'...but this writing style seems strangely familiar.

Archived