He's Gone

D/S

Other One

Black Peter

Around

Good Lovin

E: Don't Ease

F: Sisters & Brothers (with Lisa)

As a horribly picky 200-show head, who felt DSO disappointed for the first time ever at the two Petaluma shows, I came around tonight to the possibilities of Stu with this band. I already love his voice, and was waiting for recklessly abandoned guitar work. He (and they) absolutely ripped thru Mexicali, Let It Grow, Fire, Other One, and the final Black Peter solo tonight. And the ballads were heartfelt and masterful. Smiles and laughs around the stage, great to see. Can't wait for Saturday night!

To be honest, I went into last night's show with rather low expectations. I was concerned that seeing DSO without JK would just lack the magic that I had grown use to seeing with this band, and I suppose I didn't want to be let down by being too optimistic beforehand. I guess I feared they might now be a really great "tribute band", but not the musical force that somehow greatly exceeds that label. Some of the reports from earlier shows didn't exactly seem overwhelming either. Well, I am ectatic to report that my fears were completely unfounded!!! Stu really delivered last night in a way that surprised the hell out of me. DSO is still a very unique and special musical entity.

During first few songs last night, I thought something to the effect "Well, this is better than I had expected, but it's definitely not at the same level as the best DSO shows I had attended. My last show was a completely off-the-hook show at the Fillmore, which I had compared to some of the best GD shows I ever saw. Having that to compare with was a large hill for DSO to climb in my mind. However, it just started clicking for me last night around half-way throught the first set, and I had the smile back on my face. The second set sealed the deal for me. Stu seemed to take command, and everything was working like a well oil machine. You could see the whole band getting off on what Stu was bringing to the stage, and there were a lot of smiles going around--especially with Rob B. and Rob K. who were situated the closest to Stu. As mentioned by others, Stu really has a wonderful voice. Kind of reminds me of Jerry before a couple of decades of Camels took their toll. It's just perfect for this band. I found his guitar playing to be a bit less "flowing" than JK at first, but as the night wore on, any tentativness and choppy delivery I detected earlier seemed to be gone. HIs voice and guitar shredding during Black Peter near the end of the show brought a tear to my eye.

I don't know if Stu will end up with DSO, but I for one would be very happy if he did. If he is this good after only a few gigs, it's scary to think how he might be in a year. I haven't seen Jeff M. play with the band, so I'm not making any relative value judgements in that regard. I also don't care to really want to compare Stu to JK. There is only one JK, but after last night, I'm thinking that there is also only one Stu Allen!! Any thoughts that DSO couldn't make the post-JK transition are completely gone in my mind. I have always been pretty critical with music, and will not try to sugarcoat a lacking performance. There is not need to sugarcoat anything about last night. It was really that good. Thank you DSO for keeping this beast alive, and thank you Stu for stepping in!! You are terrific!!!

• Forum MVP

john A - did you get stringfellow to go with you???

He was threatening to go tonight but had other plans last night. I went last night but not tonight.

1st set was classic rote feeling Dead late 80s list , and it seemed the band was having trouble energizing their way through it, although Baracco was very hot during Rooster and Mexicali had an extended jam. But things really caught fire for Row Jimmy, which was maybe my highlight of the whole show. In any event, Jimmy / Let It Grow took things up multiple notches.

2nd set had good energy, particularly Fire, where Stu ripped all 3 jams, each one hotter than the next. Very nice Peter, and Good Lovin' was rock and roll bonanza.

Interesting venue, with a somewhat psychedelic lounge downstairs to hang in between sets, quaffing a beer with David Stone was the Mrs. Good times.

I'm concerned ticket sales were a little underwhelming for a Friday in SF. They didn't open the balcony at all, and there was ample room on the floor nonetheless. The think capacity is about mid way from Great American to the Fillmore.

He was threatening to go tonight but had other plans last night. I went last night but not tonight.

1st set was classic rote feeling Dead late 80s list , and it seemed the band was having trouble energizing their way through it, although Baracco was very hot during Rooster and Mexicali had an extended jam. But things really caught fire for Row Jimmy, which was maybe my highlight of the whole show. In any event, Jimmy / Let It Grow took things up multiple notches.

2nd set had good energy, particularly Fire, where Stu ripped all 3 jams, each one hotter than the next. Very nice Peter, and Good Lovin' was rock and roll bonanza.

Interesting venue, with a somewhat psychedelic lounge downstairs to hang in between sets, quaffing a beer with David Stone was the Mrs. Good times.

I'm concerned ticket sales were a little underwhelming for a Friday in SF. They didn't open the balcony at all, and there was ample room on the floor nonetheless. The think capacity is about mid way from Great American to the Fillmore.

Yeah, that lounge downstairs was quite the sight. Kind of felt that I had walked into a time warp and half expected to see Austin Powers sitting on one of those benches with a couple of woman in miniskirts.

I too was a bit concerned with the attendance at the beginning of the show. However, it seemed to fill up pretty well as the evening wore on. I think a lot of people just showed up late. It is possible that they simply had agreed that the balcony would not be used. My impression is that this venue is not used to this type of crowd, and they might have thought the seats could get trashed.

Yes, that Row Jimmy was also a highlight for me too. Stu didn't play it with a slide the way JK usually does, but it was really outstanding. Again, his voice really is great with this type of material.

• Forum MVP

2nd set had good energy, particularly Fire, where Stu ripped all 3 jams, each one hotter than the next.

I remember it differently. The first solo was really fucking good and the second solo was just insane...he wasn't going to try to top that middle lead and the last one didn't even try to.

Stu is a wonderful player and his talent is really brought out with these guys--imagine that? Everyone has mentioned the highlights. I adore the song Black Muddy River, it's one of the heaviest songs ever written for obvious reasons, and Stu played it beautifully.

Tonight could be a barn burner. Sorry you're not going to be with us John but I imagine when I have a family, I will have to pick and choose as well.

• Forum MVP
Tonight could be a barn burner. Sorry you're not going to be with us John but I imagine when I have a family, I will have to pick and choose as well.

Quite possible. I'd be surprised if tonight does not exceed last night. And I'll concede that best Fire jams were the 1st two. But to reiterate, nothing did more for me than Row Jimmy.

I have some ceviche on the menu this afternoon with Monterey Bay halibut caught yesterday, and plenty of good wine to wash it down on the sunny deck, so I'll be alright. :P

• Forum MVP

I have some ceviche on the menu this afternoon with Monterey Bay halibut caught yesterday, and plenty of good wine to wash it down on the sunny deck, so I'll be alright. :P

John is a master cook. What he does in his kitchen surpasses any restaurants out there.

Guest sf_head

Last night's show was killer. I'm a big Stu Allen fan, first seeing him at Jerry Day in SF in August, 2008 ("who is that guy??? the guy's fantastic!"). Shortly after in 2009, I saw him at a JGB show in SF at the Great American Music Hall and from that time since, I try to catch him as often as I can. I've seen some incredible Stu Allen & Friends (which became Front Street - it's present name) and Front Street shows in the last year.

I had seen three, I believe, DSO shows prior to last nights and prior to Stu joining (all with JK). Now of course I'm biased towards Stu but I got way off more on last night's show than any of the three previous I had seen. Stu's guitar work, his guitar tone, guitar volume is just brilliant. Then throw in his vocal pipes and you've got one must-see musician if you like the GD. It's ridiculous how good he is.

Songs that knocked me over last night were Black Peter, The Other One, Scarlet > Fire, Hell in a Bucket, and He's Gone (I just noticed all these songs were from the second set). I enjoyed it all thoroughly but those were the best songs for me last night.

If you weren't aware, Stu's other killer band, Front Street, is playing in SF on May 14 (Friday night) at The Independent ($13). That is one very killer band. I can't wait for that show (and another killer show the following day is SexMob - part of the SF Jazz Festival - also in SF, at Yerba Buena Center at 3rd and Mission I believe).

What an incredible show! I'm still high off that incredible show from last night. All those going tonight to DSO are in for a treat.

Archived