Regency Ballroom 2

sonomajon

Set 1 Funiculi Funicula Jack Straw Althea C C Rider Bird Song Beat It On Down The Line Ramble On Rose Feel Like A Stranger

Set 2 China Cat Sunflower -> I Know You Rider -> Man Smart (Woman Smarter) Ship Of Fools Estimated Prophet -> Eyes Of The World -> Drums -> Space -> Truckin' Morning Dew

Encore: Johnny B. Goode

Loose Lucy....filler

Thank you!...for a real good time....

• Forum MVP

Will it be Kaiser show #3 tonight? After all, it was a three-night run. I just got my tix for Modesto tonight.

See ya'll there!

Kevin

Could be !?! and if so , it's another killer set list ... you'll know by the fist tune ... enjoy the possibilities !!!

:dsorocks:

Could be !?! and if so , it's another killer set list ... you'll know by the fist tune ... enjoy the possibilities !!!

Another fantastic show! Dedicated to Scott and he was done proud...Everything was played with passion and Stu seems to be fully on board the DSO (loco)motive...Sound was dialed, lights were beautiful, and an easily navigated dance floor rounded out the experience...That Truckin>Dew, however has almost supplanted and blown away anything prior that occurred last night from my brain! David...I was right behind you during that meltdown but didn't want to disturb you...I had made my way up to escape the inane talkers(where's the duct tape when u need it?)...This train will continue to pick up steam as it heads to the southland of Cali which by the way is shimmering green and flower filled after soaking spring rains! Safe travels to one and all!...Jon

• Forum MVP

Another fantastic show! Dedicated to Scott and he was done proud...Everything was played with passion and Stu seems to be fully on board the DSO (loco)motive...Sound was dialed, lights were beautiful, and an easily navigated dance floor rounded out the experience...That Truckin>Dew, however has almost supplanted and blown away anything prior that occurred last night from my brain! David...I was right behind you during that meltdown but didn't want to disturb you...I had made my way up to escape the inane talkers(where's the duct tape when u need it?)...This train will continue to pick up steam as it heads to the southland of Cali which by the way is shimmering green and flower filled after soaking spring rains! Safe travels to one and all!...Jon

Nice review, looking forward to experiencing the train...

stone, please please tell me how the dew was??????

• Forum MVP

Beautiful revue , Jon !!! your writing speaks from your heart ... see ya in the fall ...

I'll bite. This was my first DSO show without JK and it was very unusual seeing the band with a different lead guitar/vocal after 10 years. I can't imagine how the band has been operating over the last two tours with these "guest" contributors. I went in with very low expectations having seen Stu with JGB and having been underwhelmed (I'm in the minority here, I know) but I must say I was impressed. The show had many highlights and I really liked the Birdsong and some of the work on the Eyes. Bottom line is that I don't sense that Stu has the depth that we have become accustomed to in that slot over the years (just my opinion). How could he at this point?

I do think the band was having fun and the crowd as usually was loving it. I liked that Stu's folks made it out last night and overall he sounded great. I'm not as in love with his voice as everyone else but he sounds very good. In time and with more time in the chair, Stu could be great in this role. But Stu will never be Jerry or JK for that matter (as has been said 100's of times on the boards). I attend for many reasons but to hear the great Garcia ballads is right at the top of my list.

As far as the Dew goes, it was very good and I'll leave it at that.

• Forum MVP

The Dew, Johnny and the Birdsong were the highlights for me. The vocals on the Dew were very moving and very powerful. Stu's guitar work on the quiet part of the jam leading up to the frenzy was so beautiful. Stu has a very delicate and sensitive manner of playing lead guitar and how he maneuvered from the space of nothingness to the end of the world was impressive to say the least. I also love Eaton's rhythm here---it's really powerful what he does. I would have to say the Dew was a really beautiful and very powerful statement.

Stu's mom was in the balcony stage right taking the whole thing in. It was touching seeing him shoot her a quick glance as Eaton sang "His mother told him 'someday you'll be a man and you'll be the leader of a big old band'" during the Johnny encore.

My friends who know Stu emailed him that "kiss the ring" Petaluma review written by a friend of mine that I posted on here and I'm told he got a kick of it---they wanted me to go backstage to do the deed.

On another note, I am not like many others regarding the vocals argument. I don't think Stu, or John or Jeff sound anything even remotely close to Garcia and I could care less about that because I've never heard anyone sound like him vocally, or instrumentally for that matter, so that way of thinking doesn't make any sense in my head. I guess maybe Garcia's brother might sound like Jerry when he sings, I have no idea. I like good vocalists whose vocals move me. Be them Otis Redding or Eddie Vedder or Nina Simone or Merle Haggard or Jerry Garcia or whoever. There are plenty of good vocalists out there who's vocals do diddly squat for me but if someone sings in a voice that moves me...that's all I'm looking for. So if Tom Waits sings Stella Blue with DSO and it works, then it works. I like Stu's voice. He's got very good command and a beautiful sound. I'm probably not alone here and nothing against nobody but I actually think it's pretty silly to compare musicians to each other...it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It was a really fun two pack. DSO is a special group of people whoever is playing lead guitar, and it was also wonderful seeing all the dso peeps I've come to like so much.

Guest Iliinois Spindrop

The Dew, Johnny and the Birdsong were the highlights for me. The vocals on the Dew were very moving and very powerful. Stu's guitar work on the quiet part of the jam leading up to the frenzy was so beautiful. Stu has a very delicate and sensitive manner of playing lead guitar and how he maneuvered from the space of nothingness to the end of the world was impressive to say the least. I also love Eaton's rhythm here---it's really powerful what he does. I would have to say the Dew was a really beautiful and very powerful statement.

Stu's mom was in the balcony stage right taking the whole thing in. It was touching seeing him shoot her a quick glance as Eaton sang "His mother told him 'someday you'll be a man and you'll be the leader of a big old band'" during the Johnny encore.

My friends who know Stu emailed him that "kiss the ring" Petaluma review written by a friend of mine that I posted on here and I'm told he got a kick of it---they wanted me to go backstage to do the deed.

On another note, I am not like many others regarding the vocals argument. I don't think Stu, or John or Jeff sound anything even remotely close to Garcia and I could care less about that because I've never heard anyone sound like him vocally, or instrumentally for that matter, so that way of thinking doesn't make any sense in my head. I guess maybe Garcia's brother might sound like Jerry when he sings, I have no idea. I like good vocalists whose vocals move me. Be them Otis Redding or Eddie Vedder or Nina Simone or Merle Haggard or Jerry Garcia or whoever. There are plenty of good vocalists out there who's vocals do diddly squat for me but if someone sings in a voice that moves me...that's all I'm looking for. So if Tom Waits sings Stella Blue with DSO and it works, then it works. I like Stu's voice. He's got very good command and a beautiful sound. I'm probably not alone here and nothing against nobody but I actually think it's pretty silly to compare musicians to each other...it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It was a really fun two pack. DSO is a special group of people whoever is playing lead guitar, and it was also wonderful seeing all the dso peeps I've come to like so much.

Totally agree with the DStone

I'm so happy that Stu Allen is playing with DSO. So happy. It was all so much rocking fun. Barraco's voice sounds like Brent so much Black Muddy River almost made me cry. Stranger hot, Other One hot--all of it was so fine and soothed my soul to the core. Nice to see that some of those little dirt surfer hippies (not meant in a disparaging way) got in. The Dew, BTW, was insanely hot stuff. And I don't like that song but Oh my, wowee! We will get by, we will survive... Shine, Love is all around You

• Forum MVP

I'm with ya Dave , I don't go for the sounds like Jerry singing thing either ... I go for the vocals that sound sweet enough to do the song and me right ... Great revue , Dave !!!

and I think it's show time in Modesto ...

• Forum MVP

Stu's vocals sound a lot like Garcia. You guys are nuts.

What Garcia?

1965 Garcia?

1970 Garcia?

1975 Garcia?

80?

85?

92?

Garcia has such a unique voice for all those years...age, bad diet and cigarettes changed his voice depending, but Stu's voice, to me, doesn't sound like any of them. If I heard him sing some of his songs at some bar and had no idea who he was, I would never think to myself..."Wow...that guy sounds just like Jerry."

I guess we all have different ears or maybe I'm not hearing it and mind you, I get that Stu and John and Jeff are playing the part of Jerry Garcia. I guess when I see DSO, I don't really even think of them and the GD together anymore--they've become their own thing to me. But I swear I don't hear it with Stu. He's got a great voice though and as I mentioned, that's what matters.

In any case, I'm already trying to get out of my annual T-Giving SD trip to see my wife's family, no matter how cool they are and no matter how many rounds I get to play at Riviera.

• Forum MVP

I guess to me it's a mythical combination of different eras of Garcia. If I had to pin it down further an early 80s with some 1990 authoritative maturity seasoned in along with a dash of early 70s rawness.

And in re-reading those two sentences it makes perfect sense how you're reacting, 'cause they represent a deep rooted personal reaction of one likely crazy and definitely obsessed mind!

Or maybe my take is more that the combination of his natural tonality and phrasing just sounds strikingly more like Jerry (any era Jerry) than anyone I've heard play Jerry's part.

• Forum MVP

This weekend I'm celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary. I had tried to convince my wife to do the Cali run but after a harsh winter in the southeast, the tropics won out..... My wife loves, (errr, really likes) DSO but travelling to see them is just not her thing. After reading these excellent reviews, I wish I had tried harder to convince her. Grate to hear of Stu's growing confidence and prominence. Guess listening to reggae here in St. Maarten will have to do. I am really jealous of those enjoying the shows, but if I could make just one person jealous of my decision that would be a small consolation. :mellow: Thanks for the reviews and I'll just anxiously wait for GFest (with my brother!)

Archived