Dismantling The Talking Points Of Marijuana Prohibitionists

Tinkerbell

• Forum MVP

I think the fact that if you did nothing but make it legal and tax the sale, it would be either the #1 or #2 agricultural product of California, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina(says a lot), and either Arizona or Virginia(I forget which one) speaks volumes. Whether you smoke or you don't, this is about money. Always has been. Why would you leave that much money on the table every year when so many states are struggling. Watched a show on Medical Marijuana and they asked the proprietor of one of the dispensaries in Oakland(repeat ONE dispensary) how much he pays in taxes to operate his business. He said, matter of factly, that he pays the State of California $46K per month based on his sales. Ummmmmm, that's $552,000.00(!!!!!) per year out of only one of the current dispensaries in Oakland, CA. I believe that the estimated $1.4B that CA says they would take in each year is a bit of a sandbag. If the people really knew how much money the state could be collecting, there is no doubt in my mind that this would pass with 80% of the vote.

Guest Charlene

I think it is already the #1 agri product of several of those places. Has been in Cali for years. Just not a legal crop, they'd be fools to not tax it.

Guest jazz-man

There is still a lot of opposition to legalization just because it is the drug of choice "for long-haired hippies". I worked with a gal who drank like a fish but railed against her brother who toked on weekends. And there is jusy plain ignorance and prejudice on the 'other' side. I truly hope and pray we win this first fight. The country would be a better place for it on so many levels.

• Forum MVP

haha, yes jazz-man, what are the views toward this subject like in Saudi Arabia?

The biggest part of the joke is the fact that growing hemp is illegal too. Back in the earlier 1900's government agriculture organizations predicted that by 1940 very few trees would have to be cut down as hemp would take over. It's so much easier to use... yet we still cut down forests for more roads... soon the world will become one big freeway!

and we will then destroy ourselves - Carl Sagan (Carl Sagan was an avid toker)

carl_sagan.jpg

Hemp seeds used in food are delicious and has everything essential to our diet. It would be a good thing for that to be more available with legalization.

• Forum MVP

Hemp seeds used in food are delicious and has everything essential to our diet. It would be a good thing for that to be more available with legalization.

just don't burn that casserole,............ talk about "snap, crackle, POP". :o

Guest jazz-man

Not surprisingly the official position in Saudi Arabia is a resounding NO to the herb. But then the official position is NO to so many things that it's really not an issue. Creative people will frind creative ways around even the most odious of laws. But these days I am not creative during this 2 year contract. Someday I'd like to stop in Amsterdam on the way home to further my education on the subject.

• Forum MVP

la county just announced that they are shutting 400 shops by june 1. Only 280 are allowed to stay open. In some areas, there is literally a shop on every corner. I think the debate should seperate medical and recreational, better reults and more rational argument. Full legalization is on the ballot and from what the polls say, it will be very close.

Archived