Furthurmore

sonomajon

From what I understand there are several reasons for Billy/Mickey not joining in Furthur....To name a few-Billy not interested in replacing lead guitar with a( "Jerry clone"-His words not mine) and conflicts arose during Dead '09(irreconcilable differences?)Maybe they just refuse to play with a leader who does lead with authority not by default!

Speaking of Dead '09-that didn't completely sell out, so why do you think they'd sell out most shows in larger arenas(ex: MSG/Byrne arena)? I think the 3-4 days runs would be a hard deal to sell out most places-Keep in mind the size of the venues Furthur is playing!

:dsorocks:

Peace,

Rob

I think it is quite possible that if the "core 4" got together with JK and Chimenti, they could have the potential to play the large venues. We all know what JK can do, and Chimenti is a brilliant player who is up there with Brent and Keith (in his first few years) IMO. Put that together with all four of the original members and you would have a lot of buzz. Now technically, I think Russo is currently a better drummer than either Mickey or Billy, but he doesn't have the name recognition. That said, I frankly don't believe Phil is capable of letting this band reach it's potential due to his ego issues. Just look at the Furthur website--you see "Phil & Bob +". I can't help but conclude he regards the others as sidemen. It's too bad, as Furthur could be much better if Phil would get over his control issues and regard this as a band of equals.

After seeing DSO with Stu, I have lost a considerable amount of interest in Furthur. I've just seen JK chained up too many times, and I just can't get past listening to Phil and Bob butcher some of Jerry's songs, when JK could have nailed it. The :Phil Birthday show really damaged this band 's credibility in my eyes. THREE full sets and JK sings ONE SONG???

WTF???????

• Forum MVP

After seeing DSO with Stu, I have lost a considerable amount of interest in Furthur.

I may have said this a couple to many times, I really like Stu Allen and the last 4 shows I caught in So Cal were fucking awesome ... regarding Furthur , I know there are a lot of people that are very pleased with what they are producing , sorry I'm not sold , I just think they can be so much better ...

"After seeing DSO with Stu, I have lost a considerable amount of interest in Furthur. I've just seen JK chained up too many times, and I just can't get past listening to Phil and Bob butcher some of Jerry's songs, when JK could have nailed it. The :Phil Birthday show really damaged this band 's credibility in my eyes. THREE full sets and JK sings ONE SONG???

WTF???????"

+1..same thing happened to me...also why i won't be attending mt aire...too many potential non furthur folks will be in the house...yet i have friends who loved that show...I think you too left early?

"After seeing DSO with Stu, I have lost a considerable amount of interest in Furthur. I've just seen JK chained up too many times, and I just can't get past listening to Phil and Bob butcher some of Jerry's songs, when JK could have nailed it. The :Phil Birthday show really damaged this band 's credibility in my eyes. THREE full sets and JK sings ONE SONG???

WTF???????"

+1..same thing happened to me...also why i won't be attending mt aire...too many potential non furthur folks will be in the house...yet i have friends who loved that show...I think you too left early?

No, I only missed the last 10-15 minutes. The parking garage supposedly closed at 2AM and I left after Cream Puff War (complete with GO-GO dancers!!) as I wanted to get the hell out of that garage before the hordes showed up and it was complete gridlock. I also know some people who really dug the show and don't understand what I'm bitching about. However, everyone I know who also went to the previous NYE shows at the same venue agree that the B-day show was inferior to those. When Jackie Greene and Chris Robinson showed up for the 3rd set, I was absolutely baffled. Surely I thought we would get one complete set of just Further.

No...just more Phil and Friends, with JK almost completely MIA.

• Forum MVP

dso with Stu would be nice

How did I ever miss this one , Tony , it's brilliant !!! DSO with Stu taking the stage at Furthurmore would be priceless , and a GRATE SHOW !!! ... I'm sure we would ride for this one ...

How did I ever miss this one , Tony , it's brilliant !!! DSO with Stu taking the stage at Furthurmore would be priceless , and a GRATE SHOW !!! ... I'm sure we would ride for this one ...

I'd be in for that one. :icon14:

LOL. So Furthur finally releases single day tix for their "furthur festival" today after forcing everyone at this point to buy full weekend/camping tix. Single day tix.... are $90? I mean I'd go see JK, the Hips and Hot Tuna outside in a beautiful setting but $90?

That's the cost of a DSO three pack.

Pass.

Guest Jerryguy

Joe Russo better than Billy Kreutzman?...that is some serious bulshit. Billy K. fuckin' rocks

a circle around Russo. I went to Barton Hall and heard sagging drums all night long.

No wonder Jay split. I'm sorry but Russo is not even close to Billy K. And Mickey is a virtual

musicologist and drum historian...Russo is some kid from NY.

I agree about DSO with Stu though...the best choice.

Joe Russo better than Billy Kreutzman?...that is some serious bulshit. Billy K. fuckin' rocks

a circle around Russo. I went to Barton Hall and heard sagging drums all night long.

No wonder Jay split. I'm sorry but Russo is not even close to Billy K. And Mickey is a virtual

musicologist and drum historian...Russo is some kid from NY.

I agree about DSO with Stu though...the best choice.

I really haven't heard much from either Billy or Mickey in a number of years, so perhaps I was a bit unfair. However, the energy I have felt from Russo's drumming with Furthur just struck me as having more vitality than what I have felt at the most recent shows from The Dead. I also should add that I was very impressed at Phil's B-day show during the 3rd set. when Russo and Molo played. This was one of the few highlights of the show for me. I was not at all impressed with that long evening due to the fact that JK was muzzled and Chris Robinson wore out his welcome long before the end of the show. Mickey is certainly quite the musicologist and drum historian, as you say. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he currently kicks ass behind the drum kit. Regarding Jay Lane, I don't believe his leaving was due to any problems he had with Russo.

I loved Mickey and Billy's playing during the GD years, but I just haven't heard the same energy since Jerry died. As I previously said, my sampling of this is quite limited, so perhaps I just witnessed some weak dates and they are currently better than my impression.

• Forum MVP

No, I only missed the last 10-15 minutes. The parking garage supposedly closed at 2AM and I left after Cream Puff War (complete with GO-GO dancers!!) as I wanted to get the hell out of that garage before the hordes showed up and it was complete gridlock. I also know some people who really dug the show and don't understand what I'm bitching about. However, everyone I know who also went to the previous NYE shows at the same venue agree that the B-day show was inferior to those. When Jackie Greene and Chris Robinson showed up for the 3rd set, I was absolutely baffled. Surely I thought we would get one complete set of just Further.

No...just more Phil and Friends, with JK almost completely MIA.

Wow, yes, I am not nearly as stoked for Futhur as I was pre-stu. I, too, witnessed the 70th debacle and left during comes a time but afterwards, purchased tickets for Coney island. Reason being, that I would fly accross country to get a potential jerry ballad, done the right way. (Figured on a two night run, I may get one sung by JK). But after the last dso run, I am giving away my ny ticktes, just doesn't seem worth it.

Archived