Furthurmore

sonomajon

I think Kesey, et al had the name first - furthur

Yes, but that hasn't stopped people with legal power from suing over names they didn't originate themselves in the past. Perhaps the most infamous example is McDonalds. They sued some guy in Scotland for running a restaurant named McDonalds. Didn't matter that this had been his family name for centuries, and they had this inn with his family name serving food long before the golden arches existed!!! There was an even more absurd suit that happened in Santa Cruz at a natural food restaurant I enjoy. They had called it "McDharmas" and they had vegetarian items like the Brahmaburger. McDonalds successfully sued them, and they had to change their name to "Dharmas". Before the name change, they put a red circle with a slash over the "Mc" part. McDonalds was not amused. I guess they thought people might confuse this mellow little restarurant serving healthy food with their junk food franchises. Pretty unbelievable, but it did happen.

Interesting...

I was just reading Dennis McNally's book over the weekend and one of the interesting tidbits was about Cherry Garcia. Apparently Ben & Jerry's never even asked Jerry for permission to use his name and likeness. Jerry didn't care but his attorney convinced him he had to take action or risk losing control over his name entirely.

furthurmore_flyer.gif

This could have Phil pissing off possibilities .... beware the wrath of bad KARMA ...

Wow, guess we're not the only ones that can't stand phil's greed and antics. Never mind us crowing bout further.....his old "friend" and bandmate giving him the business! I bet the phil/jill show was on the phone to the lawyer as soon as they found out. I would guess there's nothing phil can do unless he has rights to the furthermore name too. Hope it got their panties in a bunch!

• Forum MVP

Wow, guess we're not the only ones that can't stand phil's greed and antics. Never mind us crowing bout further.....his old "friend" and bandmate giving him the business! I bet the phil/jill show was on the phone to the lawyer as soon as they found out. I would guess there's nothing phil can do unless he has rights to the furthermore name too. Hope it got their panties in a bunch!

I think if there was an issue with this festival over the name it would have surfaced already but there may have been some panties bunched up LOL ... I just wonder why Billy AND Mickey aren't in Furthur ... having them in the band would give Furthur the juice it needs to play the bigger venues across the country and put together tours that makes sense ... they would probably be able to settle in each venue for 3 or 4 shows and most if not all would be sell outs ... the old fellas could go out in style from this venture after a few runs ... as most agree , they can't do the grind forever , so why not dig in and do it the right way ... that would probably be good for all concerned ... and this is just my 2 cents ...

I think if there was an issue with this festival over the name it would have surfaced already but there may have been some panties bunched up LOL ... I just wonder why Billy AND Mickey aren't in Furthur ... having them in the band would give Furthur the juice it needs to play the bigger venues across the country and put together tours that makes sense ... they would probably be able to settle in each venue for 3 or 4 shows and most if not all would be sell outs ... the old fellas could go out in style from this venture after a few runs ... as most agree , they can't do the grind forever , so why not dig in and do it the right way ... that would probably be good for all concerned ... and this is just my 2 cents ...

I heard that Billy/Mickey had a major falling out with Phil/Bobby during the last Dead tour. Don't know any specifics about what happened. However, the fact that neither of the drummers were up on the stage at Phil's 70th bash would seem to speak volumes. I was really hoping all four would play together along with JK at that show. That would have been truly epic. As it went down, Phil's B-day show was a big disappointment from my perspective. Just another P&F show, with JK marginalized and WAY too much of Chris Robinson. I know some thought is was a great show, but I just found it to be a lost opportunity.

• Forum MVP

I heard that Billy/Mickey had a major falling out with Phil/Bobby during the last Dead tour. Don't know any specifics about what happened. However, the fact that neither of the drummers were up on the stage at Phil's 70th bash would seem to speak volumes. I was really hoping all four would play together along with JK at that show. That would have been truly epic. As it went down, Phil's B-day show was a big disappointment from my perspective. Just another P&F show, with JK marginalized and WAY too much of Chris Robinson. I know some thought is was a great show, but I just found it to be a lost opportunity.

I forgot about them not attending Phil's birthday , that does say something about the relationship ... they're getting old and they should probably put whatever it is aside and make nice ... all the elements would be in place for a real killer run , they know how to do it ...

From what I understand there are several reasons for Billy/Mickey not joining in Furthur....To name a few-Billy not interested in replacing lead guitar with a( "Jerry clone"-His words not mine) and conflicts arose during Dead '09(irreconcilable differences?)Maybe they just refuse to play with a leader who does lead with authority not by default!

Speaking of Dead '09-that didn't completely sell out, so why do you think they'd sell out most shows in larger arenas(ex: MSG/Byrne arena)? I think the 3-4 days runs would be a hard deal to sell out most places-Keep in mind the size of the venues Furthur is playing!

:dsorocks:

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

From what I understand there are several reasons for Billy/Mickey not joining in Furthur....To name a few-Billy not interested in replacing lead guitar with a( "Jerry clone"-His words not mine) and conflicts arose during Dead '09(irreconcilable differences?)Maybe they just refuse to play with a leader who does lead with authority not by default!

Speaking of Dead '09-that didn't completely sell out, so why do you think they'd sell out most shows in larger arenas(ex: MSG/Byrne arena)? I think the 3-4 days runs would be a hard deal to sell out most places-Keep in mind the size of the venues Furthur is playing!

:dsorocks:

Peace,

Rob

Wishful thinking , maybe ... but they seem to be doing pretty well running in a sort of disarray with band members leaving and a somewhat crazy looking tour schedule ... a little organization and the rest of the living members could give it the kick it needs to sell those type of venues , maybe take the rest of this year as a building year and go for it next season ... who knows !!!

Wishful thinking , maybe ... but they seem to be doing pretty well running in a sort of disarray with band members leaving and a somewhat crazy looking tour schedule ... a little organization and the rest of the living members could give it the kick it needs to sell those type of venues , maybe take the rest of this year as a building year and go for it next season ... who knows !!!

Call it what you will-I honestly am wishing nothing but the best for JK !

A few weeks/months ago when I was more interested in Furthur, I predicted they would be playing Red Rocks before they were through......Today I really don't care if they do!

This will not become a running debate....Just had to add my 2 cents again.

Peace,

Rob

Archived