Good Bands You Don't Like

P2inboulder

• Forum MVP

I do believe Kilmer was inspired casting. Oliver Stone certainly leaves his own unique stamp on the underlying subject matter of each of his movies. "What is truth," indeed.

Not that this thread is about aging auteurs...

• Forum MVP

I thought Kilmer did well as Morrison in "The Doors"....the ball was dropped with the writer(s).

Kilmer is a talented actor but, in terms of accurately describing a real person and era, that movie was a complete joke from the director all the way down to the gaffers.

When I heard Graham despised that move, it made a lot of sense--being as that he was there for some of it (the era and The Doors....not the movie).

I watched the movie prior to knowing much about the guy...or the band (I was born in 1983). I thought the movie was good and Kilmer had the mannerisms and everything down-cold. After reading biographies and the like (Riders on the Storm by Densmore is a goody) I was able to appreciate everyone's distaste for the movie (band members included). It was a tad sensationalized.

• Forum MVP

I watched the movie prior to knowing much about the guy...or the band (I was born in 1983). I thought the movie was good and Kilmer had the mannerisms and everything down-cold.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with anything written on this board more than that.

Movie might have been okay as pure fiction, if that band never existed and if that era never existed, but the fact that it got everything so wrong...so asininely ridiculously silly---it made it a complete and utter joke---at least in my eyes.

Read 'Feast of Friends' if you want to get a sense of the guy from people who were there and knew him and the band.

Guest jazz-man

I liked the Eagles in their old, original incarnation. Before they got rid of Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner so they could be cooler and before the mountains of blow they shovelled up their noses. They used to be creative, vital, interesting until the excesses. Like the Stones who are a caricature of themselves.

U2

KISS ( I can play 3 chords and look better than Gene Simmons)

White Stripes. Like Jack Black, I simply see nothing interesting or genius about their work. Hype goes a long way these days.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with anything written on this board more than that.

Movie might have been okay as pure fiction, if that band never existed and if that era never existed, but the fact that it got everything so wrong...so asininely ridiculously silly---it made it a complete and utter joke---at least in my eyes.

Read 'Feast of Friends' if you want to get a sense of the guy from people who were there and knew him and the band.

Bear in mind I watched the movie when I was like 10-12 years old...prior to hearing their music and knowing the story. I will definitely check out "Feast of Friends".

I've read "No One Here Gets Out Alive" and "Riders on the Storm"...my knowledge of the band up to this point stops there.

• Forum MVP

Lots of interesting feedback on this subject. A couple of thoughts:

1) Jazz-Man, I couldn't agree more about White Stripes. Don't get them at all and the live stuff that I heard sounded about as sloppy as your average, teenage garage band, imo.

2) I too, knew next to nothing about the Doors when I was the movie at like 19. new the songs but not the story. Always liked the movie because the singer from my band, back then, was an extra and you could always spot him when he was in one of the crowd scenes. After learning more about the group, I was amazed at how much pure fiction the movie really was.

3) I'm starting to see quite a bit of the similarities between The Doors and Nirvana: charismatic singer who wrote some dark and depressing stuff, good bands overall that seemed more in the right place at the perfect time as opposed to hitting it big because of the music, and both have a singer who died due to excess who is now raised to mythical status. Personally, I like Jim's lyrics better than Kirk's.

:cheers:

When I was in high school, The Doors were the first band that I had an obsession for; I had a passive liking for them early on, but I think it was when I heard the first album all the way through that the switch flipped. Now, that fancy has come and gone, but I still love throwing on "Morrison Hotel" and "L.A. Woman," and yes, even "The Soft Parade."

When I think of The Doors, I think of the hit-and-miss incendiary live performances, and quite a few good live albums have been produced. My personal favorite is "Live in Detroit - Cobo Hall 5/8/70" (is there some cosmic significance for 5/8? Possibly!) When he wasn't a drunken mess, Morrison had a proper blues swagger that makes for some great atmosphere.

As for good bands I don't like...I could never get into Dave Matthews at all. He seems like a great musician, and I hear his band is second-to-none in terms of musicianship, but I just don't "get it." I know a lot of people that swear by him, though, but to me they're just "Jam Band Lite" for hipsters.

Guest jazz-man

I only saw Dave Matthews when they opened for the GD in Las Vegas '95 and they were really good for all the reasons sfagan09 mentioned. The thing that held me up from becoming a fan was the songs....The toughest thing in rock-n-roll is to write good lyrics. And DMB is better than most but doesn;t quite do it for me. I also liked String Cheese when I saw them butfelt their material was weak. Then when they did the Garcia memorial at the Greek they did all Hunter/Garcia tunes and it clicked for me. That's what they were missing, great lyrics! Anyways this whole rant is jjst one person's opinion. We have been spoiled by Robert Hunter over the years. And Bob Dylan and Warren Zevon and John Hiatt and Jackson Browne, etc.

I'm sure I can think of a few more but these 4 jumped immediately to mind:

Dave Matthews Band

Yes

Bad Company

Warren Haynes with any band he plays in. I think it is largely due to his stage presence but can't really pin down what bugs me about him.

Agree totally about the P&F comments posted earlier, I never saw a P&F show that moved me.

Archived