Good Bands You Don't Like

P2inboulder

• Forum MVP

Buffett does do a good Scarlet. I don't know that he has ever gone into Fire...that would really be something.

I primarily dislike Buffett because while at Appalachian State he came to play in our gym, charged full ticket prices for the time, and played a weak 45 minutes and was gone. I took it as an FU to the small town venue and a real sign of arrogance. My axe to grind.

• Advisory Board

I know alot of people LOVE this band, but personally they make me wanna go into convulsions everytime I hear them on the radio...

Van Halen

UGH!!!

Also, can't stand Jimmy Buffet

• Forum MVP

I primarily dislike Buffett because while at Appalachian State he came to play in our gym, charged full ticket prices for the time, and played a weak 45 minutes and was gone. I took it as an FU to the small town venue and a real sign of arrogance. My axe to grind.

I hear you...I don't think anyone, including the staunchest Parrotheads, would deny that he has, ahem, a vigorous sense of his own self-worth.

To add to the list for me: +1 on Boston, Heart.

• Forum MVP

String Cheese, .moe, Phil & Friends (not sure why but NEVER saw a P&F show that I truely enjoyed). I easily would choose to go on tour with Ratdog than see a P&F show. Never understood that because I fucking LOVE Phil Lesh on the bass. Only scenario when I haven't enjoyed seeing him is with his own band. Go figure...................

I know alot of people LOVE this band, but personally they make me wanna go into convulsions everytime I hear them on the radio...

Van Halen

Anything prior to Diver Down works for me. Anything after is like a root canal without anesthesia.

U2

The Doors (most overrated band in history IMHO)

Jimmy Buffet, although I thought the title of this thread is "good" bands we don't like so not sure he should even be included here....

And I am the opposite of Funkybass, I would much rather see Phil and Friends than Ratdog.... this could be an interesting poll

• Forum MVP

The Doors (most overrated band in history IMHO)

How can a band that did those albums and those songs be the most overrated band in history?

Wouldn't that title fall to bands like Peter, Paul and Mary or Kiss or AC/DC or The Monkees?

• Forum MVP

How can a band that did those albums and those songs be the most overrated band in history?

Wouldn't that title fall to bands like Peter, Paul and Mary or Kiss or AC/DC or The Monkees?

Kind of tough to put AC/DC in that group. Whether you like their style of music or not, when compared to other bands playing the same type of music, AC/DC is still a rocking show. Most other hard rock bands have seriously faltered once they hit their 50s. AC/DC is still a strong live act.

Plus, how can you call the Doors a band when they have NO BASS!!!! Overrated group maybe, but you can't have aband with out a bass. Just my unbiased opinion :D

• Forum MVP

Kind of tough to put AC/DC in that group. Whether you like their style of music or not, when compared to other bands playing the same type of music, AC/DC is still a rocking show. Most other hard rock bands have seriously faltered once they hit their 50s. AC/DC is still a strong live act.

Plus, how can you call the Doors a band when they have NO BASS!!!! Overrated group maybe, but you can't have aband with out a bass. Just my unbiased opinion :D

I agree, leave AC/DC out of that over rated talk. That is one hard working rock and roll band with some clever lyrics that could have a thread of their own :headbang:

I'll give you KISS, but I don't think Peter, Paul and Mary are held in high enough regards to even be considered overrated. I just don't see the creativity in the Doors. People act like the music is so complex and the lyrics are so deep, to me it's so simple. Just because someone is depressed and on drugs does not make them "deep" or creative. Again, just my opinion. I think had Jim Morrison been ugly and not died, we wouldn't even be talking about the Doors right now.

The Doors--they had some good songs but would have to agree with a lot of the other posts on them.Oh look I'm so deep and mysterious.No Jim,your just writing poetry while really high on LSD and heroin. Not everyone could pull that one off.

NIRVANA!!!--They hit it big when I was a teenager but I was too busy jamming the Dead and Zeppelin to feel their angst--I just never understood what was so ''Great ''about them.

Talking Heads--Again,some good songs but I've never got why they are held in such high regard. I would welcome any explanations

• Forum MVP

The Doors--they had some good songs but would have to agree with a lot of the other posts on them.Oh look I'm so deep and mysterious.No Jim,your just writing poetry while really high on LSD and heroin. Not everyone could pull that one off.

NIRVANA!!!--They hit it big when I was a teenager but I was too busy jamming the Dead and Zeppelin to feel their angst--I just never understood what was so ''Great ''about them.

Talking Heads--Again,some good songs but I've never got why they are held in such high regard. I would welcome any explanations

Wow, you just listed 3 bands that I really like. One of my favorite shows of all time was in '82, Talking Heads on their Stop Making Sense tour......an absolute early 80's classic.

As far as studio albums go, Nirvana's Nevermind & In Utero are two of my favorites.....Cobain could write a crazy mean hook. The best Nirvana album is arguably the Unplugged set from MTV......stripped bare in aching vulnerability.

The Doors? Innovative at the very least.....tons of jazz, classical and flamenco influences thrown in with Morrison's shamanistic musings.......he is one of my favorite baritone rock singers. I've always loved Densmore's drumming (a total jazzer btw).

As for AC/DC, even a hater would have to give some props to Back in Black........one of the best produced rock albums of all time........it racks the brain like a rogue jackhammer.

• Forum MVP

They had a bass player for LA woman (Jeff Scheff) and would have had him for that tour and it would have freed Ray on the keys---and it would have been pretty fucking good.

I'll give you KISS, but I don't think Peter, Paul and Mary are held in high enough regards to even be considered overrated. I just don't see the creativity in the Doors. People act like the music is so complex and the lyrics are so deep, to me it's so simple. Just because someone is depressed and on drugs does not make them "deep" or creative. Again, just my opinion. I think had Jim Morrison been ugly and not died, we wouldn't even be talking about the Doors right now.

Had he been 'ugly', he might not have had the following he had but he still would have written those songs and those albums and they still would have been a kick ass band.

I think Morrison was a genius who happened to look a lot like God...and that shouldn't neccessarily be held against him.

And he wasn't on psychoactive drugs....he was a full blown alcoholic.

I think, had he lived and found recovery, he would have done stuff that would have approched giants like Lennon.

Unfortunately, the person most young people think of when they think of him is Val Kilmer---which is a shame.

Archived