Lazy River Road

kdubfan

• Forum MVP

I just love this song!

I enjoy the folk/country feel it gives. Such a well written and composed tune. I have been playin it on the guitar a bit as of late and I just can't seem to get enough.

I would have loved to see where Jerry would have taken this song by now. Many good recordings out there if I remember right a 94 Phil and Friends show doing a nice acoustic version. I enjoy the names of the places.... It rolls right out with a smile :)

Just wanted to share the love of this song.

Lazy River Road

Way down upon Sycamore Slough

A white man sings the blues

selling roses of paper mache

with flecks of starlight dew

I swiped a bunch and threw it your way

where hazy moonlight glowed

Way down down along Lazy River Road

Way down upon Shadowfall Ward

End of the avenue

Run, hide, seek in your own backyard

Mama's backyard won't do

All night long I sang Love's Sweet Song

down where the water flowed

Moonlight wails as hound dogs bay

but never quite catch the tune

Stars fall down in buckets like rain

till there ain't no standing room

Bright blue boxcars train by train

clatter where dreams unfold

Way down upon Seminole Square

belly of the river tide

call for me and I will be there

for the price of a taxi ride

Night double-clutches into today

like a truck downshifting its load

Thread the needle

right through the eye

The thread that runs so true

All the others I let pass by

I only wanted you

Never cared for careless love

but how your bright eyes glowed

Guest jazz-man

IMHO a terrific song, vastly underappreciated. It has a cool, bluesy, slinky style to it and the lyrics, well, they're vintage Robert Hunter. I'll keep playing this tune on my guitar until my fingers don't work no mo'.

Indeed, not a song that shows up on many heads' list of favorites, but I have always loved it's bouncy, relaxed groove. John did choose it for plenty of the elective shows, so I assume he digged it, too. Speaking of John, I remember the first time I listened to the recording of his final show with DSO last December at the Town ballroom in Buffalo, and a minute or so into the song the audience noise seemed to be getting louder and louder. John, seemingly annoyed or perplexed by this, started singing more softly. The audience, possibly realizing their noise was distracting John (and most likely the rest of the band, too) quieted down and gave him their collective ear. It was almost like he was the preacher calmly, gracefully getting his flock to pay attention to the sermon.

Topher

Guest jazz-man

I first heard this tune at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, OR and started grooving to it right away. The rest of the group from Vancouver were sitting down and resting up. I didn't get that then and I don't get it now. Like Liberty, the lyrics are pure Grateful Dead, anti-authority and personal perseverence but remain unloved. I'd love to hear Lazy River Road with a mandolin and accordian accompaniying the guitars, etc. Maybe a violin, it's definately got the "pickin" sound to it.

David Gans does a really fine rendition...check it out:

http://www.archive.org/details/gans2009-04-17 :icon14: :icon14:

If you guys get a chance to see him play...go.

It's like if Keller and Jerry had a baby :rolleyes:

This is a show from Camp ZOE/Schwagstock...it's hard to believe he's up there all by himself...his looping sounds way more organic than Keller's. I highly recommend Lazy River Road *(very mellow)...but check out track one...it's a Dark Star/Cassidy/Chinacat medley that is, well, just exactly perfect. ;)

He'll be back at Camp ZOE/Schwagstock with Stu Allen (his brother form the bay) in September...I can't wait!

Archived