1/21/2011 Pabst Theater

anddave

• Forum MVP

What a treat this show was, packed with fun throughout!

1: Bucket, Rain and Snow, Mama>Mexicali, Easy to Love You, Catfish John, Lazy Lightnin>Supplication, Sing Your Blues Away, Day Job

2: Sugar Mag> Mystery Train>Woman Smarter> St. Stephen> Alligator> Mtn Jam> Alligator> Space> Drums> Attics> SSDD> GDTRFB> Johnny B Good

E: Help>Slip>Frank, How Sweet it Is

:blink:

:cheers:

:icon14:

• Forum MVP

Highlights according to me:

Mystery Train was unexpected, fast and hot, and portended the whole rest of the set. Totally my highlight of the night. Another 3-pointer by Mattson. Eaton's guitar work in Supplication was blistering; the best I've yet seen from him. I'm starting to think he's got a separate brain for each finger on his left hand. Kevin's bass work was also the best I've yet seen from him, full of crafty ornamentations as well as the pounding lows we love. I especially liked what he was doing in the "Sing Your Blues" jam, almost a whole bass solo in there if you were paying attention. Another reward for the attentive was Mattson's extra juicy post-GDTRFB jamlet. He squoze a whole extra glass of juicy goodness outta that one. Stage left was the source of the tightest "Easy to Love" that I ever did see, a level of confidence that one rarely if ever hears even in the Dead's performances of it. The importance of Barracco to the ongoing goodness of this mix just cannot be overstated. I'm starting to think that keyboardists are the secret weapon of both DSO and of Furthur, a sweet and strange irony, but I digress. Barracco has made me like "Sing Your Blues" and last night it was beautiful. Another cool Barracco moment was when he remembered the vibraslap after Alligator was already going. and he made a curious little hand signal and a tech rummaged in a box and came out with the vibraslap, revealing the meaning of the curious hand signal. When he played it a few minutes later it was all the better for having seen that. The ivories got thoroughly tickled many times, too many to list, but the tickling in Mystery Train especially tickled my ears. Koritz's beam solo was very cool, and I think it would have been cooler still if we had more treble on that thing, or maybe that's just me. I dunno. I love the beam, and I want to really hear it. Lisapen raps were bubbling around in Smarter and GDTRFB. More rewards for the attentive. Yum! She did a little vocal gymnastic in Smarter that is still tickling me now.

...and Day Job was a raucous good time including all the verses! "By now you know..."!!!!

Since the change in the lead guitar department, everyone in the band has stretched and gotten better; a lot better. I was going to skip Normal and Detroit but maybe I gotta rethink that.

:D

I sure wish I had planned ahead and gotten a Steeler-Your-Face shirt to wear to these two shows. That woulda been fun and saved a lot of time with people asking me whether I was a GB or CHI fan.

See you at the Vic!

• Forum MVP

...one more thing about the highlights. Slipknot! was just plain slack-jawed-amazing awesome. The run up just before Franklin's was another one where JM squoze an extra glass of goodness out of it. That might have been my favorite slipknot of all time. Real real nice... yes sir... real real real nice.

:D

Archived