Buffalo 3-12-11

Fritz

5-13-72 Fairgrounds, Lille, France

Set 1: Bertha, BT wind, Chinatown Shuffle,Loser, BIODTL, Mr. Charlie, China Cat>I know You Rider, Me and My Uncle, Big RxR Blues, Next Time You See Me, Playin', Sugaree, Mexicali, Casey Jones

Set 2: Truckin'>Drums>Other One>Big River, He's Gone, Hurts Me Too, Sugar Mags, NFA>GDTRFB>NFA Encore: Saturday Night Filler: Baby Blue

Sweet mother of god............my bones hurt. What a MONSTERRRRRRRRR

It is always most excellent to see 1 drum kit/1971-74 setlist coming!! The Chinatown Shuffle narrowing the possibilities to 71-72. Best Biodtl I ever witnessed. It is fun to see them opening up tunes larger than the Dead did those same songs. China>Rider and Playing in the Band were really great. I always enjoy the Playing type 2nd set exploratory spaciness in the first set and they didn't disappoint. Still more...hello Europe 72 endless first sets! Sugaree and Casey Jones were great. Since Dark Star was played 2 shows before, hearing the first whiffs of the Other One were anticipated, and they were patient and turning this way and that in the creative dissonance-really wonderful. The sound in the theatre was excellent..a few too many aggressive, pushing young people for my taste...no talkers during the slow songs near me though...An unexpected Big River out of the Other One. Beautiful He's Gone. Classic 71-72 ending and a haunting It's All Over Now Baby Blue. As a non-dancer, [though I occasionally move an arm or leg], the journeying aspect of the music was very alive and present!

Set 1: Bertha, BT wind, Chinatown Shuffle,Loser, BIODTL, Mr. Charlie, China Cat>I know You Rider, Me and My Uncle, Big RxR Blues, Next Time You See Me, Playin', Sugaree, Mexicali, Casey Jones

Set 2: Truckin'>Drums>Other One>Big River, He's Gone, Hurts Me Too, Sugar Mags, NFA>GDTRFB>NFA Encore: Saturday Night Filler: Baby Blue

Fritz, With i coulda been there. Monster is right, i just downloaded it from archive. Bruno said you said "hi", back at ya my friend. I hope to be there next time the Ballroom is offering DSO dancing lessons. Peace.

• Forum MVP
It is fun to see them opening up tunes larger than the Dead did those same songs.

Quite true and a good observation.

This can turn on itself though. I once saw Phil & Friends do a Cumberland that went so far over the top it plummeted to its demise.

• Forum MVP

Quite true and a good observation.

This can turn on itself though. I once saw Phil & Friends do a Cumberland that went so far over the top it plummeted to its demise.

I can only speak for myself but I might have been involved with that Cumberland. It might have plummeted to its demise but while it was what fun we had!!!! Just saying! RB

• Forum MVP

I can only speak for myself but I might have been involved with that Cumberland. It might have plummeted to its demise but while it was what fun we had!!!! Just saying! RB

And it isn't the long fall that hurts, but the sudden stop, anyway! Keep on plungin'... smile.gif

• Forum MVP

I can only speak for myself but I might have been involved with that Cumberland.

It was at the Greek, perhaps summer of '02?? Robert Hunter opened and, bless his brilliant soul, was just terrible. I remember our group just scratching ours heads wondering what on earth was happening up there. I has seen him years earlier play a riveting show at the Warfield, so it was just perplexing.

• Forum MVP

It was at the Greek, perhaps summer of '02?? Robert Hunter opened and, bless his brilliant soul, was just terrible. I remember our group just scratching ours heads wondering what on earth was happening up there. I has seen him years earlier play a riveting show at the Warfield, so it was just perplexing.

What was happening with PLF was complete abandoning of the rules, what the Grateful Dead was all about. Sometimes magic, sometimes disaster. Always an adventure. It's what I live for, what it's all about. As far as Hunter, like you said, Bless his brilliant soul, he didn't give a rats ass for conventionality. He wrote the most sublime music and god damn it he was gonna play it whether it sounded good or indifferent. RB

What was happening with PLF was complete abandoning of the rules, what the Grateful Dead was all about. Sometimes magic, sometimes disaster. Always an adventure. It's what I live for, what it's all about. As far as Hunter, like you said, Bless his brilliant soul, he didn't give a rats ass for conventionality. He wrote the most sublime music and god damn it he was gonna play it whether it sounded good or indifferent. RB

"walked halfway around the world on promise of the glow......gave the best we had to give....how much well never know...." ------ I cherish the monthly anouncements of PLF warfield runs. ..".still tender young and green" They were inspiring times of innovative music. We never knew what we would get...not even the lineup of the band. It seemed that the age old concept that playing together longer would create a better band was thrown out the window and a revolving door of new possibilities was created. Phil found the sound with you Rob.....High times....Its a huge chunk of many of our lives after Jerry died. I honor you for your involvement with PLF. As you know the move to DSO was seemless. I moved too!

Fritz -you said it!!! they worked us into a friggin frenzy! i have not enjoyed the venue before - but the right side balcony and they peeps around us were great! this was a smokin show and i am soooooo glad that we got to go! security?? what security?? it was a blast!!!!! wish they wouldn't play mid week shows so much- there are many we would go to it they were closer to the weekends! just sayin.... :dsorocks::cheers:

Archived