Arriving When They're All Packed And Gone

Octal

I never got to see Jerry live, but I've discovered one way to make the illusion of being beside the Grateful Dead: the mass of recorded music.

I've found a large online collection of torrents that chronicles through every year of the Grateful Dead, with a decent estimate of about 60 per year (with the exception of a few years not having that many, i.e. 65-68, 75, etc.). This averages to 60/12=5 per month, more than 1 for each week. Although this average would imply that they toured non-stop, so in actuality there are periods of time where are no shows, and then clusters of shows. I've managed to get through 65, 66, 67, 68, and am now in June of 69.

At times I feel as though I'm almost there, watching them develop...

• Forum MVP

listening to the concerts in order as best as you are able is SUCH AN AWESOME WAY to connect to this music!!!!!!! we tried it when we first got together, doing a show per day (it was so peaceful to stop everything we were doing to just BE THERE while listening and do it in order to continue the vibes!) but my knowledge was not yet at the point that I was getting out of it what I should.

Your post has made me realize that we should start again, because I think I might be able to keep up this time :)

THANKS!

• Forum MVP

listening to the concerts in order as best as you are able is SUCH AN AWESOME WAY to connect to this music!!!!!!! we tried it when we first got together, doing a show per day (it was so peaceful to stop everything we were doing to just BE THERE while listening and do it in order to continue the vibes!) but my knowledge was not yet at the point that I was getting out of it what I should.

Your post has made me realize that we should start again, because I think I might be able to keep up this time :)

THANKS!

Try going backwards! Miss you guys. See you in your home state!! Rob B

• Forum MVP

As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite things to do is to listen to entire tours in order. It really opens up how songs and grooves change, then more they are playing together. It is especially fun on tours that debut new material, which is why I LOVE '73. The 1st Eyes in '73 to the last Eyes they played that year is really spectacular.

As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite things to do is to listen to entire tours in order. It really opens up how songs and grooves change, then more they are playing together. It is especially fun on tours that debut new material, which is why I LOVE '73. The 1st Eyes in '73 to the last Eyes they played that year is really spectacular.

I've been doing that with Dark Star: each version is building off of the previous one. The Live/Dead version is really just a collection of motifs they've been playing with for the past few months.

It seemed as though they started to go beyond (or should I say using them better than before, as same of the same jam ideas come up again, i.e. that Em arpeggio with the melody walking up from the 5th to the 7th and then back down to the 5th, if my memory/musical ear remembers correctly) those motifs when they started to enter their folk period.

• Forum MVP

Try going backwards! Miss you guys. See you in your home state!! Rob B

We talked about trying backwards, and we have settled on doing the tour by tour thing depending on how we feel at the moment (so it was funny to read what you other guys said about tour-by-tour listening above when I re-opened this topic). Going backwards might make me feel sad and defeated before we begin....

Miss YOU GUYS! And yeah, we'll be at GratefulWEST since we missed our date with destiny and didn't show up at GFest.... we keep watching Gary's video (which is killing our internet usage, lol), looking at our spot on the rail, and seeing all kinds of people that we were meant to be hanging out with that week... there were at least a handful of people there that went because we SENT them there with all our chitter chatter about it being our only real fest of the summer.... bummer. least you guys showed em a real good time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the bright side, GRATEFUL WEST is going to be amazing and at least you guys are coming to us with some crazy regularity now, THANK YOU, keep it up ;) Jon is REALLY EXCITED to see you guys after I reported my lone CO experiences to him and he saw Gary's Gfest videos.... like, REALLY excited, and that it cool, because he isn't as excitable as I am. Counting down the days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived